Beginning a game, battlefield control and Claim value

By VermillionDe, in Star Wars: Destiny

Hello,

I couldn't find this answer asked already so I apologize if this is a repeat. I'm a little hazy on the rules of starting a game. I get that the person who rolls highest to start gets to choose the battlefield. I understand that whoever's battlefield ISN'T chosen gets two shields. I think I'm correct when I say that the person who's battlefield was chosen goes first. If your battlefield is chosen, do you also get the claim value on the battlefield?

This example is from a game I played last night: Me and my opponent sit down for a game. I roll higher and choose my battlefield for the game. My opponent gets two shields. My battlefield grants 1 shield for the claim, we couldn't figure out if I get it or not so I didn't take it. Did I make a mistake?

No, you didn't make a mistake. You do not get the Claim ability for winning the roll and choosing your battlefield.

Edited by netherspirit

Awesome, thank you for the quick response. There was just some confusion as to how that part of it worked.

While you don't get to claim the battlefield, you do have control though for the few cards where that can make a difference.

Related question from me: When I claim a battlefield, I control it into the next round, yes? Can I still claim it next turn or is it unclaimable until a round after my opponent has claimed it?

You can claim it multiple times in a row.

Ah, thanks!

Unless the turn ends via back to back passes or via Retreat or Jump to Hyperspace, the battle field will be claimed each turn. The same person can claim the battlefield in back to back turns tho!

You do not get the claim ability on the initial roll out, you only get possession of the battlefield.

You only get to use the claim ability immediately after you take(claim) the battlefield? That is, whoever controls the BF can't use the ability throughout the round?

Correct. Normally the claim ability will only trigger once each round, when the battlefield is claimed. (As with most things, there are cards which will cause exceptions. Outpost, for example, allows you to trigger the claim ability without actually claiming.)