Coolstuffinc.com is now buying

By JediGeekGirl, in Star Wars: Destiny

Without getting into is it worth it, is it fair, etc, I would like to share that if you do not know yet, CoolstuffInc.com is buying Star Wars: Destiny singles.

HA HA HA HA HA Those prices are CRAP. $12 for a Vader? $8 for a Luke? Hell no.......

The prices are low because their intention is to resell them at their actual market value to turn a profit. This is no different than any other trade in program that any business wants to run, be it EB Games/Gamestop to a car dealer.

Of course, you're always welcome to go to the hassle of selling it all off individually on eBay, which will certainly net more money, but also more time setting up all the listings and mailing out all the cards/dice to all those people.

CSI will let you dump it all in an envelope and collect, especially if you're using the funds to purchase other games from their stock for a credit boost.

I'm not saying their prices are amazing and you're wrong, just consider that the ease of trade in's saves a bunch of headaches and time which can have value in itself. If you just had 2 Vader's to sell, it's easier to eBay it. if you have some 50+ assorted cards/dice to sell, it might be worth a look, especially for the cards nobody would buy online.

Consider a First Order TIE Fighter. let's say it's worth $5 on eBay. As a buyer, I'm spending $5 on the card/die and then another $10 at least to get it mailed to me, so really my cost is $15. Is that really worth it for me? So the seller would have to drop the sale price and shipping cost to as thing as possible, making the profit on the sale (the expense being mailing it to the buyer) very low. Or you could send all of that junk to CSI in bulk and probably come out ahead a little more than you would otherwise.

In what galaxy far far away are you paying $10 in shipping for a Star Wars Destiny single?

Places having buylists are great. These prices are a joke. Based on dealing with CoolStuff buylists for other products all of these prices are way off. They generally buy at a far higher rate then 1/3rd of eventual sale price. Most of the big ticket Heroclix I just sent them they were paying at least 2/3rds their sale price.

Edited by ScottieATF

It is too early to say if the prices are way off because the eBay prices are way too high to begin with. You aren't going to get 2/3 of eBay value when trading in until prices have somewhat stabilized.

In what galaxy far far away are you paying $10 in shipping for a Star Wars Destiny single?

Places having buylist are great. These prices are a joke. Based on dealing with CoolStuff buylists for other products all of these prices are way off. They generally buy at a far higher rate then 1/3rd of eventual sale price. Most of the big ticket Heroclix I just sent them they were paying at least 2/3rds their sale price.

Maybe they are just setting it up and testing, they are probably assuming, like everyone else, that the market is going to come way down once more stock gets out in what 5 days from now?

It would be insane as a business to assume the current prices will hold and offer to purchase based on the current prices.

Start low, then slowly adjust things based on your supply and what you can sell for reliably long term.

Places having buylist are great. These prices are a joke. Based on dealing with CoolStuff buylists for other products all of these prices are way off. They generally buy at a far higher rate then 1/3rd of eventual sale price. Most of the big ticket Heroclix I just sent them they were paying at least 2/3rds their sale price.

Maybe they are just setting it up and testing, they are probably assuming, like everyone else, that the market is going to come way down once more stock gets out in what 5 days from now?

It would be insane as a business to assume the current prices will hold and offer to purchase based on the current prices.

Start low, then slowly adjust things based on your supply and what you can sell for reliably long term.

As I said they are really off. Nor in keeping with their normal pricing for buying, and in no way going to generate them stock.

But it wouldn't make any sense for then to buy at a higher rate because they know in 10 days there is a booster restock and sale prices will drop. But it buying at this low of a rate comes off as suspect and may turn off people to using their services.

If I were them I would have just gotten everything ready to go without putting out prices.

Ok, lets look at it this way. CSI wants $20 for Luke himself, $30 for his saber. Ok, I understand they want to make a profit, but more than 50% markup is NUTS. I would CONSIDER selling them my Lukes for $10, maybe 12, and his saber, not at the price they are asking. I can go to my FLGS and get 75% of their sale value of the single. Granted, its store credit and not straight cash (cash is 55%).

Why would you sell them Luke for $10-12 when you can sell Luke on Ebay for $27-30. That's what he's going for in recently ended postings.

CSI will give you a 25% bonus if you accept store credit, but even with that you are talking double the value selling through Ebay. You still pay shipping either way, the only difference is the time it takes to snap a picture and post a listing.

Interesting too is that they don't have uncommon up at all. Uncommons for this game are nearly as important as the rares and legendaries. I understand with leaving commons out, but even there, I'd be fine with something for uncommons.

Jacob

Folks seem to have such an allergy to eBay, but it's pretty effortless to use and I have 250+ gaming related sales with no incidents. These CSI prices are absurd, and I can't imagine any reason to not just sell the cards on eBay yourself for a much higher profit.

I am going to say this, I think they are just being safe. Once the game is out longer, I expect them to be better.

To everyone criticizing their prices - would YOU start buying Vaders for like $30 or more a pop? When knowing full well as soon as the rest of the stock hits, ALL of the hard core collectors are gonna have them and the demand will disappear virtually overnight?

To everyone defending their prices -- would you sell your valuable legendaries for a fraction of their market value?

If CSI is worried about the market value dropping (and they should be!), then they should have waited to post the page. Or offered reasonable compensation now, and adjusted their prices in a week or two when the next wave of boosters hit. Now, they have every right to offer whatever price they want for legendaries, but if I posted in any of the trading threads offering those prices I would be ridiculed. I have no problem ridiculing them in turn -- these prices are absurd and unfair. People should be reasonably compensated for their cards' value, and I don't want to see anyone taken advantage of.

Of course the secondary market is going to fluctuate up and down before it eventually stabilizes -- and of course the lofty prices that these cards fetch now will go down. I expect in a few months CSI will have reasonable prices and provide a valuable service for some gamers. But right now, the exchange they're offering is a rip off.

The galaxy of eBay where it isn't uncommon to see shipping rates for an item of this size and weight land at around that price, as I mentioned.

Some people are reasonable on their shipping, some people charge $20 to ship a card. It's up to the seller to go with a reasonable cost or not, and the buyer to agree, by purchasing the item and paying the shipping, or disagreeing and moving to another listing.

Of course if you're the only one selling the item on eBay, then the economics are certainly in your favour...

If anyone thinks E-bay is the flag barer for retail pricing... :lol:

Enjoy these inflated prices now. I doubt Cool Stuff buys Vader for $12 come late January.

To everyone defending their prices -- would you sell your valuable legendaries for a fraction of their market value?

If CSI is worried about the market value dropping (and they should be!), then they should have waited to post the page. Or offered reasonable compensation now, and adjusted their prices in a week or two when the next wave of boosters hit. Now, they have every right to offer whatever price they want for legendaries, but if I posted in any of the trading threads offering those prices I would be ridiculed. I have no problem ridiculing them in turn -- these prices are absurd and unfair. People should be reasonably compensated for their cards' value, and I don't want to see anyone taken advantage of.

Of course the secondary market is going to fluctuate up and down before it eventually stabilizes -- and of course the lofty prices that these cards fetch now will go down. I expect in a few months CSI will have reasonable prices and provide a valuable service for some gamers. But right now, the exchange they're offering is a rip off.

Yes I'm actually considering it. Got a few Crime Lords that I could easily part with, especially if that helps get me a Vader soon.

Sorry I cant stand when the market uses Ebay and the price guide. Ebay is over priced considering you have to pay them, you have to pay paypal (don't know if that is still a thing), you have to pay shipping, you have to waste your effort to pack, drive to the post office, AND then worry that the shipper doesn't bend, crease, fold, damage the card. Now you have the hassle of fighting with the shipper, the buyer, paypal and Ebay. All that for what an extra $5-$9. All that you could have just sold to a local LGS.

Thank god my area has a healthy market that LGS's have plenty for it to support. I know some areas don't but sorry Ebay is not the answer.