Curry Favour action card is broken?

By dertarr, in WFRP Rules Questions

Hi,

I have a doubt about Curry Favour action card. Its requirements state that to use it one must "have successfully invoked a blessing, but have less favour than the blessing requires" . So priests cannot just use it before invoking a blessing - it must be used while a blessing is pending for more favour.

Say, a priest has WP of 4 and thus 4 favour in equilibrium. He invokes a blessing that requires, say, 20 favour. All his existing favour is consumed right away, and the blessing is waiting for more. At the end of his turn the priest regenerates 1 favour, but on the start of his next turn it is consumed by the blessing before he has a chance to act. Thus, the priests always use this card when they are at 0 favour (unless they have some rare artefacts perhaps).

It is unclear why does it have such a negligable bane and chaos star effect. Even the Reckless form may generate only 7 favour at most, so a Chaos Star effect is only dangerous for priests with Will Power of 3 or less - if they are so unlucky. And even in this case the player may choose not to take the "boon: gain 1 favour" effect even if he gets like 10 of boons. So only priests with WP of 2 should be bothered. And who even has seen a priest with WP of 2?

The bane effect then mentiones penalty for "more favour than twice you WP" as well, but with banes you may have 6 favour at most - you don't even have an option to gain +1 favour from a boon.

And the Conservative side is even more poor in terms of penalties. The bane penalty assumes the priest has generated only 4 favour at maximum, and the additional penalty would affect only priests with WP of 1???

Or do I get something very wrong?

The Curry Favour card should be tweaked, so that priests might generate more favour with it and be "applicable" to penalties. Or something else.

I'm guessing that it's because divine "magic" is supposed to be safe when compared to Wizard magic.

But I agree, it's almost impossible to get any bad stuff from curry favour so it should be tweaked a bit.

I think the idea is indeed that invoking blessings is not very risky.

But I think it's correct that only a divine spellcaster with poor WP will ever be in trouble, as it's hard to need to curry favour, use the favour and then have twice WP favour left. What the designers intended on this point is not clear.

Indeed all the rules about carrying excess favour are odd in that you can only curry while invoking blessings. If you could curry "proactively" this would all make more sense but having invoked a blessing is a prerequisite of currying.

I've always just used the Stress result of banes.

I believe the designers of the game was 'inspired' by the channeling action and did not do the math regarding, factoring in the rules. Probably a design error where they aimed to make divine blessings a lot less dangerous than arcane magic, but ended up making bane and chaos star effects almost impossible to suffer from.

An easy tweak:

Bane effect: generate 1 less favour.

Chaos star effect: generate 1 less favour, gain 1 stress.

Still not major drawbacks, but blessings should be quite safe to cast so it feels appropriate.

Thanks for replies!

For now I tweaked a bit the action card. Perhaps it is better to have the topic in House Rules, but don't want to create duplicates.

Z6ffr79.jpg

I doublt it is possible to tweak the divine system to the point where priests could have extreme exceess of power. Perhaps their primary "bane" is losing favour effect, as they easily may have no favour left, and thus may get Insanities.

Perhaps it makes sense to create a universal "Chaos Star" effect of "Lose 1 favour" for any Invocation skill check.

But for now I just removed any text about "favour exceding twice your Willpower" from the card and added another effect for the reckless side.

I also added two chaos star effects as clerics (and wizards) tend to always be "In Great Need" and perform both invocation and curry favour in the same round.

Would be happy to receive your comments.

Edited by dertarr

Why does this card have the support icon in the top left? When it is listed as being a blessing in the FFG component list? Is it listed wrong? Or is it indeed a support card, even though the card states it's a blessing?

It is not a blessing. It doesn't do anything "blessed", it only gives you favour to fuel your future blessings. The blue section is the requirements, not the effect.

I thought as much, guess it must be listed wrong on the components listing.

Nice revision.

The idea of Chaos Stars meaning Stress (did I ask too much of my deity or ask wrongly) is interesting. Perhaps a Chaos Star on the Channel action could carry over to the blessing itself? Sometimes a priest might decide "I have mistaken in my prayers so badly best to sacrifice this blessing attempt rather than see what happens..."

This would then also fit with the idea that priests don't suffer the dangers wizards do because of their caution - a wizard with multiple chaos stars can't turn back, they suffer the Miscast effects, whereas a priest can choose to have their efforts sputter out safely.

Just to clarify dertarr...I was looking at the official ffg card...not your badass revision of a card! Didn't want you to think I was slating your card as I most certainly was not!

Looks great! :)