Does Qui-Gon's ability work if he has three shields?

By KrisWall, in Star Wars: Destiny

Before you even say it, Qui-Gon is indeed Gaining a shield. It is just not added to his card and tracked.

Same thing with token creatures going to the graveyard in Magic the gathering. They go to the graveyard, (triggering "dies" effects) but once they are there they gone.

Before you even say it, Qui-Gon is indeed Gaining a shield. It is just not added to his card and tracked.

Same thing with token creatures going to the graveyard in Magic the gathering. They go to the graveyard, (triggering "dies" effects) but once they are there they gone.

This isn't Magic, so rules interactions in that game, while anecdotally interesting, aren't relevant.

This isn't Magic, so rules interactions in that game, while anecdotally interesting, aren't relevant.

He was referencing magic because the rules interaction in this example do apply.

He was referencing magic because the rules interaction in this example do apply.

Meh. We all know the answer. I just don't understand why everyone seems to think it's unambiguously crystal clear that a character going from 3 shields to 3 shields has gained a shield. I truly believe that there is enough ambiguity there to warrant some clarity in the RRG. They clarified that excess dealt damage is NOT considered to be taken damage. They need to clarify that excess given shields ARE considered gained shields. The rules aren't internally consistent, which can always lead to confusion. In one instance, excess tokens are not counted as gained/taken. In another instance, excess tokens are counted as gained.

Edited by KrisWall

Meh. We all know the answer. I just don't understand why everyone seems to think it's unambiguously crystal clear that a character going from 3 shields to 3 shields has gained a shield. I truly believe that there is enough ambiguity there to warrant some clarity in the RRG. They clarified that excess dealt damage is NOT considered to be taken damage. They need to clarify that excess given shields ARE considered gained shields. The rules aren't internally consistent, which can always lead to confusion. In one instance, excess tokens are not counted as gained/taken. In another instance, excess tokens are counted as gained.

No one is arguing the clarity on the RRG, were arguing how your interpreting words. There is ambiguity with the wording on the card however, it is clear enough to understand the intention and for now an answer from Lukas is more than enough. The RRG has more pressing issues to be resolved.

Yeah.

We get it.

You thought you found a nit to pick, and now that everyone, including the lead game designer, has told you it's not valid, you're left in the position of stubbornly defending your logic... OR... you could just say "Oh, cool" and move on with your life.

That's what should happen. Please let that happen. Please stop bumping this Bantha fodder to the top...

*bumps to the top*

fml

I just don't understand why everyone seems to think it's unambiguously crystal clear that a character going from 3 shields to 3 shields has gained a shield.

Because of the word 'ignored'. He gained it and ignored it. You can't ignore something without it happening.

We do know the answer, however I think many will agree that it is also confusing and did warrant some discussion. It was NOT crystal clear right away. You aren't the "only one" who thought it was confusing.... I think you are maybe just the last person in this particular discussion, to accept the ruling.

I just don't understand why everyone seems to think it's unambiguously crystal clear that a character going from 3 shields to 3 shields has gained a shield.

Because of the word 'ignored'. He gained it and ignored it. You can't ignore something without it happening.

That's almost zen, man.

I really wish we could get someone to lock this thread, its turning into a chatroom lol.

That's almost zen, man.

How can you kill that, which has no life?

That's almost zen, man.

How can you kill that, which has no life?

By ignoring it.

I really wish we could get someone to lock this thread, its turning into a chatroom lol.

Well... it's not like this is a rules subforum. Is it so bad if people enjoy chatting a little?

OK.

Hi, this is Bill and Ronda, Bill's business just went into receivership and Ronda is after a 14B. They are OK people.

In six months when we're all fat and happy and fine tuning our 30 card death machines I'm going to necro-post on this thing to remind us all of the bad old days when we had no cards and had to subsist on shoe leather and the RRG.

Because I am lazy and do t want to read 10 pages, and I have a Jin Shield deck, can someone, politely, give me the low down on where the ruling stands on this?

Thanks!

Rouge One in 4 days people!!!!!!! Let's be happy!!!!

Because I am lazy and do t want to read 10 pages, and I have a Jin Shield deck, can someone, politely, give me the low down on where the ruling stands on this?

Thanks!

Rouge One in 4 days people!!!!!!! Let's be happy!!!!

Short answer: Yes, his ability works even if he already has three shields.

I love it when people wax all crankypants over Magic references.