Allow Proxies for Misprinted Dice

By Crabbok, in Star Wars: Destiny

I know some folks are cool with allowing someone to use Proxy Dice and some are not.

However in the case of Mis-Printed Dice, I think we, as a community, should agree to allow people to proxy in all cases outside of official tournaments. If you have a legendary character and it's die is misprinted, simply bring the die and set it next to your deck - then substitute a D6, and we can have a game.

Thoughts?

Yes. If someone says no, let them play solo and find another opponent :-0

With supplies limited, I think it's a crummy thing to not let a player proxy a die. Maybe they couldn't get two of a character, and some players have not been able to get ANY characters outside of the Starters. In friendly games at my house you will see d6 and sometimes even printed character cards.

Free play I can see allowing of proxy dice. Tournaments or Drafts nope. That can turn the tide for any player in a game.

Free play I can see allowing of proxy dice. Tournaments or Drafts nope. That can turn the tide for any player in a game.

i would think in drafting it would be really poor sportsmanship to not let someone proxy a die if they get a misprinted die from their drafted cards.

@Crabbok This is a wicked good question and I bet the answers you got would change if the question were painted in a different light.

If the misprinted die were in FAVOR to a player, many would agree to implement your suggestion.

Amirite?

ha ha no kidding! If you draft a Padme Amidala and she's got all 6 sides 4 ranged damage.... I'm pretty sure folks would want you to proxy the correct dice

Maybe I'm a bit naive, but why not just mark the die to be correct?

If it's got six sides that show Padme, but one of them has the wrong sticker... what is the harm in marking the wrong one with a Sharpe to indicate the correct symbol? The required symbols are on the card so it is easy to verify.

I'm not sure why this would even be a problem for official play if FFG is unwilling to replace dice.

Marking the die CAN influence the way it rolls or the weight of the one side. I'd probably be ok with casual play for a die to be marked, but for a tournament a marked die is a big no-no, simply because it is explicitly stated that you can not modify dice.

ha ha no kidding! If you draft a Padme Amidala and she's got all 6 sides 4 ranged damage.... I'm pretty sure folks would want you to proxy the correct dice

No! No! Only official FFG products can be used and they may not be modified. That die is a unique, but official, FFG product.

tumblr_n5ssj4mFlH1tbfvuuo1_250.gif

No! No! Only official FFG products can be used and they may not be modified. That die is a unique, but official, FFG product.

tumblr_n5ssj4mFlH1tbfvuuo1_250.gif

In that case, Does anyone want a "unique but official" Han Solo dice with an extra "1 supply" instead of its "2 disrupt?" I'll trade it for a correct Han die, since FFG won't fix it.

FFG are usually very good at replacing dice, even limited edition prizes eat, I'm very suprised. Although under UK law it's the retailers responsibility to sort out goods not fit for purpose or damaged, they are only obligated to replace product or refund, so if you purchased in the UK they could just give you the cost of the pack back. Not sure about the States.

Marking the die CAN influence the way it rolls or the weight of the one side. I'd probably be ok with casual play for a die to be marked, but for a tournament a marked die is a big no-no, simply because it is explicitly stated that you can not modify dice.

marking a die with a sharpie can influence the way it rolls?

I would be interested to see how that works, but as I said above... I may be naive.

What blows my mind about this topic is that it is apparently assumed as "okay" for a proxy die to be disallowed in a casual game.

I suppose in a casual game I can demand my opponent only wear particular colored socks, if I want, but nobody is under any obligation to actually *play* with me.

Similarly, if I'm just playing around with builds and I want to proxy that second Vader die, if someone were to tell me "No you can't do that" I simply would not play with that person.

I'll trade it for a correct Han die, since FFG won't fix it.

Seriously? Did you ask and have FFG say 100%, unquestionably "NO"?

This would surprise me. FFG has always been quick to replace even user damaged product. I would never think in a million years they'd refuse to replace defective product. Maybe they'd ask you to wait, given the current production SNAFU, but refuse outright?

Pretty sure the actual influence would be extremely minor - however it would still be enough to be prohibited for tournament play. In a casual game I wouldn't mind.

i would think in drafting it would be really poor sportsmanship to not let someone proxy a die if they get a misprinted die from their drafted cards.

Then it would have to be up to who ever is judging or hosting the tourney. I say if the pack has a bad die reissue a fresh pack if its a draft. The person opening should inspect and inform of a bad die before handing it off to the next player. That be like when Magic packs had no rares in them. Inform the judge and they reissue a new pack if the pack has not been handed down yet.

Edited by bravo29

Pretty sure the actual influence would be extremely minor - however it would still be enough to be prohibited for tournament play. In a casual game I wouldn't mind.

The tournament rules for X-Wing allow a player to mark their dice with a permanent marker to indicate ownership. I haven't seen any tournament rules for Destiny yet, but if marking a die is allowed for one of FFG's most popular games, I would be a little surprised if they didn't allow it for this one. They might still not allow modification to fix a misprinted die, but that would have more to do with the die than the fact that you marked it.

Im a Particular Proxy Snob. I'll be honest. Meaning, im particular about certain proxies and/or how fluent I am with a game.

You want to play with photo copied upgrades in Armada? Sure. No prob. I know what it is and dont need to constantly read it.

At this time, Destiny is shiny, new, dependant on visual symbol recognition and unmastered. The last thing I want is to have to constantly interpret a d6 roll. My Proxy Snob kicks in.

After its accepted once, it starts to becomes commonplace, and then permission is no longer sought. Comment negatively on its practice after this happens at an LGS and all of a sudden YOU'RE the jerk.

Im a Particular Proxy Snob. I'll be honest. Meaning, im particular about certain proxies and/or how fluent I am with a game.

You want to play with photo copied upgrades in Armada? Sure. No prob. I know what it is and dont need to constantly read it.

At this time, Destiny is shiny, new, dependant on visual symbol recognition and unmastered. The last thing I want is to have to constantly interpret a d6 roll. My Proxy Snob kicks in.

After its accepted once, it starts to becomes commonplace, and then permission is no longer sought. Comment negatively on its practice after this happens at an LGS and all of a sudden YOU'RE the jerk.

Hey, preferences are preferences, but I don't see "look at the number and consult the chart less than an inch away" to be a major burden to place on my opponent.

Casual play is not timed, nor is it, by definition, particularly competitive. It's up to the players to determine how competitive they want to be when they sit down to play. If one person wants to proxy, and the other doesn't want to allow it, they were never looking to play the same level of game in the first place, and should find alternate partners.

Are we talking proxies to make an Elite character, when you've only "officially" found/purchased their 1-die version? That's probably not OK. But proxies because the company printed the wrong die? That's not the player's fault, and had the printing error been caught or never occurred, the pack that they opened would have given a correct die. I see nothing wrong with allowing a player to proxy with a regular d6 to correct an error beyond their control. If they show up with the faulty die as proof they're not just trying to get an advantage, pretty much every other player should fly casual about that.

Otherwise, what do you accomplish? Either they play with a mismatched die which causes headaches for everyone and may unfavorable advantage one player or another, and possibly remove deck synergies they'd built, or you'll get an exchange like:

"Hey man, my Finn die was misprinted, can I proxy it?"

"Nope, sorry, illegal deck, automatic DQ."

"Gee, this game is so much fun. I can't wait to keep playing with other such friendly members of the community..."

You're really willing to jeopardize a player's interest in the game, and willing to completely forego actually playing against somebody, because you want to be a snob about something that wasn't their fault?

I will absolutely guarantee you that imperfections in manufacturing will disrupt the die's rolling far, FAR more than a bit of ink will.

Hey, preferences are preferences, but I don't see "look at the number and consult the chart less than an inch away" to be a major burden to place on my opponent.

Casual play is not timed, nor is it, by definition, particularly competitive. It's up to the players to determine how competitive they want to be when they sit down to play. If one person wants to proxy, and the other doesn't want to allow it, they were never looking to play the same level of game in the first place, and should find alternate partners.

Avoiding proxies is not a matter of competitiveness.

One of the best things about this game is that the dice are easy to see, and recognize, even from across the table. Proxies take that away. Not only do I have to convert the number to the card (which is very convenient for you with the card right in front of you, but far less so for me) but when you end up with 3-4 proxies in there I have to remember which is which. So was the blue one with the pips Luke's Saber? Or was it the green one? etc.

It just makes everyone involved work harder to play the actual game. You can think that's OK, but you are placing an extra burden on your opponent and should respect that.

Besides, anyone who doesn't have that second die for the character they want to run should just find someone to trade with before they play, or go back to LCGs... right? ;)

One last standalone thought: While there's probably little chance of getting replacements for cases where the card and die in a pack are mismatches, I will absolutely guarantee you that FFG will replace a misprinted die with a correct one. So all the drama over how mean it will be to people with misprinted dice to not let them proxy is sorely misplaced.

One last standalone thought: While there's probably little chance of getting replacements for cases where the card and die in a pack are mismatches, I will absolutely guarantee you that FFG will replace a misprinted die with a correct one. So all the drama over how mean it will be to people with misprinted dice to not let them proxy is sorely misplaced.

I was under the impression that misprinted die was replaced with a sealed booster, which imo, is quite inadequate.