Feelings and feedback

By TylerTT, in Star Wars: Destiny

I Love Destiny! what a crazy game, i cant wait to play it more!

but

This is an extremely tricky sort of product and I think it has some roadblocks. the current product model leads to some real bad feelings.

Team building is too hard for the collectable format.

It's too easy to buy a bunch of boosters and not have playable teams. this is very demoralizing. I would explore these ideas.

-diffrent starters

-generic neutral characters (hired gun for example,)

-non die related team building options

-change booster configuration (three dice with a guaranteed character option for example)

Proportion of dice/cards in the boosters and starter's feels off.

-Decks use 10-16 dice

-Deck+characters+battle ground =33-35 cards

-Boosters give player's half as many die related cards as they need.

Thats all for now.

Exactly my sentiments.

I simply love the game from a gameplay perspective, but I despise the money sink it becomes once you want to start some more serious deckbuilding.

I've played Magic for many a year. It has the same problem but with Magic I could build a decent deck with mainly commons and uncommons (and sometimes the occasional rare). Not a tournament-winning deck, but at least a deck with possibilities.

In SW Destiny though, rares are the fundament of each deck. You need rares in order to be able to play in the first place, since you need characters, and all characters are rare, or even legendary. Furthermore uncommons are as rare as the rares, i.e. one per booster.

Since dices are the heart of your deck (4 or 5 for characters mostly, and at least 10-12 for support) it requires a lot of boosters to start. The deck restrictions add some oil to the fire.

Again, great game but annoying card/dice distribution.

There are no 5 dice character combinations. It's 2 (not advisable), 3, or 4. While I absolutely suck at pulling legendarys, of 46 individual boosters bought I have pulled 1 Legendary. My son bought 6 and got 2 including Han Solo. That said I have done great on character pulls.

If you have a group you play with try trading, we do and it's easy because the rarity is evenly distributed. We value characters more than Upgrades but our group has a very healthy trading system. I now have all the rare characters Elite except 1 for a lot less expense then I thought it would take to get to that point. It is still expensive though.

I would say currently it isn't setup for a draft and play format though unless you are able to bring a starter or 16 points of characters with you to the draft.

What would be cool is a new product, some kind of 'Hero Pack'. Contains, say, 12 fixed heroes of different colors with a die each. Heroes that are not available in boosters/starers, for more variety. That would also double up as a draft enabler pack.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

What would be cool is a new product, some kind of 'Hero Pack'. Contains, say, 12 heroes of different colors with a die each. Heroes that are not available in boosters/starers, for more variety. That would also double up as a draft enabler pack.

I like this idea!

The intro decks serve that exact purpose: they get you playing the game. Everything else boils down to "I'm not getting the toys I want," which players elevate in their minds to become a necessity. The distribution model in Destiny is no better or worse than any other game, collectible or otherwise. You just have to decide how much money is worth spending on the things that are important to you. Be thankful, at least, that there's a secondary market; I'd flip my lid if I relied on booster purchases to assemble my standard decks in Magic.

Having played nothing but LCGs and X-Wing for the last five years, it was a bit of a jarring transition to be building something a realize, "Oh, right, I don't automatically get two of those." But it's not like we didn't know from the get-go the collectible nature of the game and the rarity distribution.

We're really early in the game's life too. More cards/dice will lead to more options.

Having played nothing but LCGs and X-Wing for the last five years, it was a bit of a jarring transition to be building something a realize, "Oh, right, I don't automatically get two of those." But it's not like we didn't know from the get-go the collectible nature of the game and the rarity distribution.

We're really early in the game's life too. More cards/dice will lead to more options.

Knowing it's is collectible and understanding what that entails is proving to be two very different concepts for people given some reactions and expectations.

For instance the OP in this thread has suggested that FFG triple the number of dice in a booster.

There are going to be a lot if people that can't come to terms with this game being a CCG.

I understand WHY this is a CCG, but for many of the reasons listed it would have been better had it not. This isn't going to change, so my suggestions are as follows:

1) Starters need to be COMPLETE DECKS. 30 (or close to) points of characters and dice and a 30 card deck.

2) Cards found in the Starters SHOULD NOT be found in boosters. Include 2 of each non-unique card and characters should be packaged with maximum amount of dice that the card can play.

In this way, one will enjoy their boosters knowing they won't get cards they already bought with the Starter. Also, they won't NEED certain cards to make a legal deck, but are hoping to find new options for their deck and collection.

Eh, it's fine. CCG models are indirectly better for the consumer anyways, just buy what you want on the secondary market without all the chaff. That or learn to be happy with what you've got. Either way, everyone should try exercising some patience; the game is still in its infancy.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

1) Starters need to be COMPLETE DECKS. 30 (or close to) points of characters and dice and a 30 card deck.

Why?

As they're set up right now, they actually help with the very issue you're complaining about.

You don't *need* half a million boosters to assemble a functioning deck. Buy a starter, buy a handful of boosters, and you are more than probably going to wind up with a character and ten cards you can add to fill it out to a full deck. On the fairly remote chance that you get *nothing* you can add to either starter to make it work, chances are someone around you did, and chances are they need something you got. Boom. First Deck. Already on the road to success.

This is the very nature of the CCG model, and locally it's been playing out quite well. The only people struggling to assemble decks are A.) Stuck on certain characters they want or B.) Victims of the very limited supply of product, but even then local players have stepped in to get them the cards they need.

Why?

As they're set up right now, they actually help with the very issue you're complaining about.

You don't *need* half a million boosters to assemble a functioning deck. Buy a starter, buy a handful of boosters, and you are more than probably going to wind up with a character and ten cards you can add to fill it out to a full deck. On the fairly remote chance that you get *nothing* you can add to either starter to make it work, chances are someone around you did, and chances are they need something you got. Boom. First Deck. Already on the road to success.

This is the very nature of the CCG model, and locally it's been playing out quite well. The only people struggling to assemble decks are A.) Stuck on certain characters they want or B.) Victims of the very limited supply of product, but even then local players have stepped in to get them the cards they need.

Pretty much this. Anecdotal evidence (the best kind of evidence, apparently): I have a friend who bought one of each starter and 6 packs. One of those six packs had a Nightsister in it; that's an easy inclusion in the Kylo Ren deck, which already has room for it. Heck, you don't even need to pull another character that shares a color-type with your starter deck - the additional die and activation are already a step in the right direction, even if you don't feel like splashing red into the Hero starter deck or yellow into the Villain one.

TL;DR: Buy packs or trade... or don't play CCGs. :D

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

We did a sealed style event with 6 boosters and a starter of your choice. Most decks were not, and could not be made legal, most were also under the point value.

I'd say 8 boosters would be the average in order to make a legal deck without exploring trading.

I expect whatever product, because let's face it it has to be an additional product, they put out for sealed play to feature all 3 colors in characters.

Edited by ScottieATF

I do think they need to make the new player entry far easier than it is. It's far too easy for an initial purchase to result in something that doesn't grow past the starter. Sure, it's technically PLAYABLE... but if I buy the Rey starter and a dozen boosters only to get a villain character or two, a red support, maybe one or two red upgrades, an Immobilize... It's very easy to walk away from that soured on the game because you just spent $50 and still can't make a full deck, much less a decent one.

Destiny's shaping up to be a great game, but I feel like whoever designed the distribution is actively trying to sabotage it.

I do think they need to make the new player entry far easier than it is. It's far too easy for an initial purchase to result in something that doesn't grow past the starter. Sure, it's technically PLAYABLE... but if I buy the Rey starter and a dozen boosters only to get a villain character or two, a red support, maybe one or two red upgrades, an Immobilize... It's very easy to walk away from that soured on the game because you just spent $50 and still can't make a full deck, much less a decent one.

Destiny's shaping up to be a great game, but I feel like whoever designed the distribution is actively trying to sabotage it.

Unless you're literally the *only* person in your area buying SW:D, this isn't a problem, it's part of the format.

You're supposed to trade with other players.

If there is no one to trade with, you've got problems beyond not having the right cards.

I could do a bunch of math but no one is paying me. Point is the game requires a particular ratio of character to non character cards and it's very easy for players to doge the 12 characters that average in every box.

A booster with three dice and one guaranteed character would solve this problem. not saying that is the solution but it could be.

trading only works if players get something worth trading. if you dodge all the characters in your store's boxes who exactly will want to trade for a non character rare for a character rare.

Unless you're literally the *only* person in your area buying SW:D, this isn't a problem, it's part of the format.

You're supposed to trade with other players.

If there is no one to trade with, you've got problems beyond not having the right cards.

Trading should not be required as a bare minimum for playing the game. People should be trading to complete collections, or build something they actually want, rather than as a requirement to play their first real game.

Broadly, there are of course any number of things a player could do to get around this - they could trade. They could order singles from and online site. They could make their initial purchase 6 boxes instead of six packs. Offering up ways to work around the barriers to entry misses the point - they're still barriers to entry, and those are bad.

The bare minimum for playing the game is in the starter decks. Anything beyond that amounts to "wants," not "needs." We're big boys and girls here, so either fork over your cash or learn to be satisfied with what you have. The only barriers to entry are the ones in your head.

To emphasize my point, I know there is not a single person here who can tell me that they didn't pull perfectly playable cards from their packs. Maybe you didn't get the rare you wanted; oh well. Each deck has only one unsupported color, which means you can fit cards from just about any pack into either deck. You don't need more characters, and you certainly don't need rares or legendaries. Those are things that you want, and seeing as how there's already a viable secondary market (as there typically is for collectible games) the distribution model really needn't enter into the equation.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

Truth is, collectible is a garbage format for players, always has been. It benefits only the publisher by forcing players to buy product they don't need in order to (maybe) get the stuff they want. Yes, trading alleviates this somewhat but in order to build up decent trade stock you'll be buying a lot of stuff you don't need and can't trade off.

Destiny is the first collectible game I've bought into in over a decade. I hate the format, so the fact that I'm even willing to give it a chance speaks volumes for the quality of the game. However, the ugly reality of the collectible format is already rearing it's head. I've bought 2x Kylo and 1x Rey starters and 6x boosters, a total of $65, and don't have enough product to make anything close to a solidly competitive deck.

I hope that FFG at least a considers releasing more fixed-content packs in the future to offset the drawbacks of the purely collectible content. It boggles my mind that after pioneering the tremendously successful and all-around superior LCG format that they chose to return to CCG.

Truth is, collectible is a garbage format for players.

It really isn't. Quite the opposite, in fact. Tell me, how much chaff have you collected over the years from supplemental LCG products, when all you wanted was one or two of the cards? Talk about "untradeable"; there's virtually no secondary market for non-collectible games.

Ohhh, you want a competitive deck. Now we're getting to the heart of the matter. Anyone remember when C-3PO was packaged with the CR90? There's a world of difference between what you need to play the game and what you need to win. Doesn't matter what kind of game you play, the latter's always going to cost you, friend.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

I hate to be "that guy" in the thread but... it sounds like a lot of these complaints could be easily circumvented by simply playing an LCG instead of a CCG.

They exist for a reason.

I hate to be "that guy" in the thread but... it sounds like a lot of these complaints could be easily circumvented by simply playing an LCG instead of a CCG.

They exist for a reason.

And I think many would have rather this been a LCG.

Personally, I think FFG could have done both! The boosters are perfect for the casual player and to put in boxmarts. Complete decks and sets would have been enjoyed by the fans.

This game is not a LCG and it is not going to magically turn into one. I don't see the need to argue for one format or defend another. It is what it is. We the players will vote with our wallets. My wife and I love the game. I'm hoping it stays that way.

They exist for a reason.

And I think many would have rather this been a LCG.

Personally, I think FFG could have done both! The boosters are perfect for the casual player and to put in boxmarts. Complete decks and sets would have been enjoyed by the fans.

This game is not a LCG and it is not going to magically turn into one. I don't see the need to argue for one format or defend another. It is what it is. We the players will vote with our wallets. My wife and I love the game. I'm hoping it stays that way.

Conveniently enough, there's a Star Wars LCG manufactured by the same company ;) That said, I fully expect sealed decks for Destiny to be on the way once we have a couple of blocks under our belts.

I'm just saying, complaining about the CCG format is like complaining that the game uses dice. It was never a hidden feature.

I swore off CCGs nearly a decade ago due to format complaints, and now here I am buying boosters. Any injury from this point onward is self inflicted.

As for voting with our wallets, I know a fair few players who are voting more times than their wallet can handle. *ahem*

I swore off CCGs nearly a decade ago due to format complaints, and now here I am buying boosters. Any injury from this point onward is self inflicted.

We have a brave one here. Welcome back, friend; you've been sorely missed.