"Awakenings" and future series

By hendersondayton, in Star Wars: Destiny

Besides my sons Pokemon, I am not much of a CCG person. I "assist" my 9 year old with his enjoyment in Pokemon just to spend time with him. I don't know much about Pokemon beyond how the game works. For this reason, I also don't know anything about how CCGs like MTG and Pokemon are structured as far as releases are concerned. So to educate myself, here are a couple questions:

1. What would be the official term for "Awakenings" in the Destiny world? Is that called a "Series"? I assume "Awakenings" is similar to "XY" and "Evolutions" in the pokemon world?

2. I assume FFG will release new "series" of cards. So with this assumption, how would future "Series" affect the tournament meta? When the next series is introduced, will cards from the "Awakenings" series be considered "old"? I know Pokemon retires cards (at least i thought they did) from use in tournaments. Unless I am mistaken which is highly possible.

Thanks for any help understanding the world of CCGs.

Edited by hendersondayton

I think Awakenings will be a "Core Set" with the next expansion or two being expansions - in that they will likely have less cards total. I'd imagine 115 - 130 cards per expansion as opposed to the 160+ cards in Awakenings.

I've heard that each year we will see new Starter Decks published - and as such, they will probably be a blend of "Core Set" cards as well as whatever expansion happens to launch with them. You'll probably see certain staple cards from Awakenings, but you'll probably see new mechanics from future sets in future starters.

And maybe every 3 years or so you might get a new "Core Set" if they end up doing "Standard Tournament play" and "Extended Tournament Play" - but that is pretty far down the line.

I think Awakenings will be a "Core Set" with the next expansion or two being expansions - in that they will likely have less cards total. I'd imagine 115 - 130 cards per expansion as opposed to the 160+ cards in Awakenings.

I've heard that each year we will see new Starter Decks published - and as such, they will probably be a blend of "Core Set" cards as well as whatever expansion happens to launch with them. You'll probably see certain staple cards from Awakenings, but you'll probably see new mechanics from future sets in future starters.

And maybe every 3 years or so you might get a new "Core Set" if they end up doing "Standard Tournament play" and "Extended Tournament Play" - but that is pretty far down the line.

In the Knights of Ren Podcast with Lukas Litzsinger said that each of the three sets they release over the next year will have around 170 cards. 170 cards and 4*6 characters is their design ground work they try to hit with every expansion of the game. One of these set will have 2 new starter packs.

In the Knights of Ren Podcast with Lukas Litzsinger said that each of the three sets they release over the next year will have around 170 cards. 170 cards and 4*6 characters is their design ground work they try to hit with every expansion of the game. One of these set will have 2 new starter packs.

But the tourney meta will still allow ANY cards?

For now yes. depending of if there are too strong cards that break the balance we could see banned/restricted cards. Rotaition where a whole set is no longer allowed for tournament play won´t hit until at least two years from now.

For now yes. depending of if there are too strong cards that break the balance we could see banned/restricted cards. Rotaition where a whole set is no longer allowed for tournament play won´t hit until at least two years from now.

This.

Rotation, the system by which entire sets or groups of sets are excluded, usually take several years of sets. This is usually done to kind of clear out the design space, so you don't have to worry about crazy interactions between new cards and some obscure card from 5, 10 years ago; and to allow for errata'd reprints of older cards.

Restricted/banned lists are dependent upon individual tournaments, if a particular card is deemed to powerful or unfair. A card can be restricted from any set, for any tournament style, and those don't really ever go away. Updated lists are published frequently, though, so if you're ever in a tourney, check those first before bringing your decks.

So Awakenings will be around for a while? Enough time for me to attempt to collect all of them?