Talisman: The Legend of Zelda Edition

By tylorlilley, in Talisman Home Brews

Hello all!

I had the idea recently to combine two of my favorite things, Talisman and The Legend of Zelda. It seemed like it would be a great fit!

After working on it for some time I am ready to show the world the 104 card adventure deck I completed. The cards in roughly the same proportions as they appeared in the original base game Adventure deck. So you can use these cards alone as their own Adventure deck for the game, or you can mix them up with other sets if you want to. Inspiration was mostly drawn from the original NES game, with a little bit of Ocarina of Time mixed in for good measure. I originally planned to make a set of spells and/or character cards to go with these too, and I might still do that if I feel like it or if demand is high enough.

For viewing convenience, I uploaded all the cards to an imgur gallery that you can find here .

Let me know what you think! I'd love to hear feedback on them as I've yet to try and print them out to play with them. If anybody else is interested in doing so, feel free to ask and when I finish compiling all of the cards into a printable document I will let you know.

Thanks in advance!

Wonderful idea! I love the references to the original NES game (I think the “Cave” card is my favorite).

Do you intend to make changes to the board as well? For example: Is the Crown of Command replaced by the Tri-Force? Do players have to fight Ganondorf in the Inner Region? I’d be interested to know what your overall vision is.

By the way, I can totally see a set of Spells that relate to the ones in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, as well as the three from A Link to the Past. (Unless you want to make that a separate expansion.)

It is a nice deck indeed, but except for the three Oracles I barely noticed any cards related to the Zeldas I like the most (Oracle series, Link's Awakening).

I'm glad you guys like it! I could easily see myself expanding the project into additions for the Spell deck and/or the main board, but I wanted to post what I had completed as I'm not sure how much time I will have to work on this more in the near future, what with the holidays coming up.

I'm sorry if your favorite Zelda games were under-represented; as stated in the first post the expansion takes about 70% of its inspiration from the original zelda, with the other 30% being filled in by Ocarina of Time. There is enough material even in a single Zelda game to make 104 cards from, probably, so I aimed at what the "biggest" two Zeldas were to try and achieve a classic or generalized Zelda feel. If this got popular enough I could see myself making another set fo Adventure cards or two for some of the "smaller" Zelda games (Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are personal favorites of mine!)

Thanks again for the support!

I just wanted to post an update to say that I did end up making a set of spells comparable to those in the base game based on the spells in Zelda II as well as the three spells in Ocarina of Time and the non-warping Ocarina songs. Feel free to check them out and leave feedback if you are interested; I added them to the same gallery that was posted before.

Very cool, using the Ocarina songs as spells. And I like that you’ve got 24 spells to match the original number from the base game.

Just a question on the “Spell” spell: On a roll of 1-2, each character is transformed into a toad. Does that include your own character?

By the way, I love that you're using the artwork for the Zelda II spells from the original instruction booklet.

Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad you like the direction I took things with the songs and the artwork! The intention was that the "Spell" spell could backfire and make everyone including yourself a Toad. It was somewhat modeled after the Toadify spell and it seemed a bit more balanced (and Talisman-y) if it could backfire.