Available at Target - Confirmed

By KrisWall, in Star Wars: Destiny

i doubt this will ever make it to mass retail, seeing as the whole ASMODEE thing focuses on hobby stores.

I'm not a betting man... but if I was, this Christmas is going to shake up Asmodee's relationships with FFG. The "ethical" support of hobby shops will result in a lower than expected 4th quarter. You know what they say about money talking and what walks...

Umm yeah, they just sold out their new product within hours of release. They are going to have themselves one nice big Christmas party with zero bitching.

These games are such a niche item they simply won't sell well in the big box stores, and seeing as they would have to buy shelf space, it just isn't that attractive to do so from a business perspective. Hobby shops have no leverage to charge slotting fees and actually have to buy their merchandise before it even sells. With such a wonderful deal for them, Asmodee/FFG have no problem supporting the small mom and pops.

If you take a look at the trading card section at Target, either up front by the register or back in the Toy aisle, Destiny is a product that would fit in perfectly. That's why people think it is likely.

If this game becomes as big as Magic and Pokemon, it will definitely be there was they will sell enough units to justify the cost of getting them in those stores.

I imagine we'll see it at B&N eventually.

I'm still baffled as to why so many people are absolutely convinced this will/should be sold at mass market retail. There never was anything in official marketing material to support that notion.

I was speaking with someone from FFG and they had confirmed with me that mass market retail was actually part of the reason they chose the CCG model vs the LCG. So yea....from FFG themselves its coming to mass retail.

i doubt this will ever make it to mass retail, seeing as the whole ASMODEE thing focuses on hobby stores.

I'm not a betting man... but if I was, this Christmas is going to shake up Asmodee's relationships with FFG. The "ethical" support of hobby shops will result in a lower than expected 4th quarter. You know what they say about money talking and what walks...

There are no "relationships". From a corporate standpoint, FFG is Asmodee North America. They just retain the FFG name for branding purposes.

IMO it will be in big box stores but probably not until the 2nd printing, not the 2nd wave(as in the stuff coming out this week or next), the reason I see this is it will reach a larger audience in general, I used to live somewhere with a large MTG community that the closest LGS that sold it was 1-2hrs away, so the only product a large number of them (15-20 ish people) could get was at big box stores, as a large number of them were teenagers and would prefer not to pay shipping. So in the long run it will generate more sales total but I would wager it wont make it there for at least a month or two.

Give it some time, guys. It just came out. Once there's actually enough product to be on shelves, it'll probably show up in big box stores. Especially since all of the TCG sections in pretty much every big box store are completely managed by third party sources. It's not "Will Target carry Destiny", it's "Will this company renting space in Target that specializes in TCGs and other collectibles carry Destiny."

Edited by Zefirus

Give it some time, guys. It just came out. Once there's actually enough product to be on shelves, it'll probably show up in big box stores. Especially since all of the TCG sections in pretty much every big box store are completely managed by third party sources. It's not "Will Target carry Destiny", it's "Will this company renting space in Target that specializes in TCGs and other collectibles carry Destiny."

Star wars product with the release of a new star wars movie around the corner, they'd be mad if they didn't...