Game Release... and immediately out of stock

By KrisWall, in Star Wars: Destiny

Rogue One was merely a billion dollar one off shoot movie. Awakening was a two billion dollar movie leading to more multi-billion dollar movies. Disney is far more interested in one than the other. This game was to start out featuring one set of characters over the other and have no doubt, the release dates are tied into the movies. SoR is just in time for the blu-ray release of its movie.

But I do have my doubts. I've been brand loyal to FFG since 2013; I know how their shipping schedule works and I've seen too many releases pushed to the right. That's not an opinion, it's a readily observable fact.

Are you getting your data from somewhere specific or are you making educated guesses?

Disney has a long history of product releases that accompany their movies. FFG was granted slack in the past because there were no movies, now, they better air mail those TIE Strikers and U Boats in time for the movie's release while the rest of Wave 10 floats on the boat.

I would agree with WonderWAAAGH. I've been a fan of FFG since late '12 and their ability to hit schedules is not super accurate. Especially given the complexity of this game.

Even if we assume that SoR will come out on time, there's nothing to indicate that FFG will have over produced it. Awakenings and SoR are two very different sets and FFG would be foolish to assume that because people missed out on Awakenings that they will buy SoR in greater numbers. I'm betting FFG is releasing SoR in the same numbers they had planned or maybe alittle more, but surely not enough to somehow satisfy all the Awakening fans as well.

The band aid answer isn't to produce large amounts of SoR, it's to print more Awakening. Which I'm betting will happen right after SoR. Awakenings will fill the gap between SoR and the following expansion, but will not be release simultaneously to avoid FFG competing with itself.

Also, these are all just vague opinions and uneducated guesses...

My assumption is that SoR and Awakenings have a very similar print run. There was one lot of Awakenings that had misprinted dice that got scraped. No idea how big that was, but it would make SoR a little bigger. Completely not relevant since the price gougers are going to be all over this set.

Preorder what you can and hope something comes through.

12 minutes ago, Mep said:

Disney has a long history of product releases that accompany their movies. FFG was granted slack in the past because there were no movies, now, they better air mail those TIE Strikers and U Boats in time for the movie's release while the rest of Wave 10 floats on the boat.

I'm aware that Disney likes to keep a tight leash on their properties, but do we know what the actual licensing terms are between Disney and FFG? They still have enough creative control to continue promoting non-canon material; Kyle Katarn's likeness is in Awakenings, and there was clearly a movie around at that time. I wouldn't recommend you ask him how he feels about Rogue One.

At any rate, if we're comparing Disney's history with FFG's, I know which one of those two I'd use to infer an actual release window for the next Destiny set.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

Yeah, Disney isn't going to care if FFG recycles art work to keep costs down. If FFG wants to keep that license, they'll meet those deadlines. You're always playing for the next contract, not the current one.

I disagree. Disney has done everything in their power to distance themselves from the old canon, especially when it conflicts with the new. Kyle's existence is a huge problem if we're supposed to accept Rogue One as the only viable narrative. And I'm guessing we still don't know what the actual terms are, so it's all just hearsay and conjecture anyways. FFG's shipping history is a far better indicator of when we can expect SoR than whatever we assume Disney's mandates are.

SoR isn't all about Rogue One and not the only narrative anymore than Awakening was all about TFA. Lukas already spoiled Chewie in this set in so many words. Kyle's existence has no problems. It is just typical recycled art work. If he was presented as a character, then maybe their is a point to be made here, but even still, not really. It would indicate they are running out of ideas for characters and they are far away from doing so.

I'm still guessing SoR will hit store shelves around August, but who knows, maybe it'll actually be on the boat by April.

If worlds is in May, I'm guessing they'll unveil it then if they can.

I mean for the participants. Two weeks later for everyone else.

Edited by Starbane

I can see that, but I can also see them doing the same for Gen Con.

3 hours ago, Mep said:

My assumption is that SoR and Awakenings have a very similar print run. There was one lot of Awakenings that had misprinted dice that got scraped. No idea how big that was, but it would make SoR a little bigger. Completely not relevant since the price gougers are going to be all over this set.

Preorder what you can and hope something comes through.

my lgs isn't taking anymore pre-orders for SoR. I don't know if he knows for sure what hes getting or guessing and only taking so many..

I'm seeing a lot of local stores running weekly tournaments and offering booster packs as prizes. So to get the cards you have to already have enough cards to build a deck good enough to place in a tournament. Which likely means you don't need the cards you're getting anyway.

Edited by DailyRich
1 hour ago, DailyRich said:

I'm seeing a lot of local stores running weekly tournaments and offering booster packs as prizes. So to get the cards you have to already have enough cards to build a deck good enough to place in a tournament. Which likely means you don't need the cards you're getting anyway.

So you are saying the rich get richer, while the poor have to struggle for every bit of what they have and have very little chance to get any more? Sounds like capitalism working as intended. :)