Qui-Gon Jinn question

By JJs Juggernaut, in Star Wars: Destiny

I played at a prerelease event and opened QGJ in one of my boosters. Played him a bunch as well and we played exactly like that, each die can trigger him and you can do them all in once action, one by one. There were no FFG reps there but all of us are certain that is the way to play him, no doubt.

It sounds powerful but you would be surprised how easy he is to counter, especially once he is down to zero shields. Then, you have to waste at least one die shielding him before his ability works. The opponents attack him, of course, and that keeps him shieldless as well. Meanwhile, you're churning out shields while they are hitting you with 4-5 melee/ranged damage each round. You're not using your dice for resources, etc.

Overall, he is good but certainly now overpowered or broken.

Thank you everyone! I now have a full understanding of how QGJ's ability is played correctly. And Dooku as well.

The next part is figuring out who to pair with him. His cost is extremely tough to pair. Originally, I was thinking Padme, but I am not sure a mill deck will survive. Some builds can put out a lot of dmg.

Rey could work, but like stated, you are forced to use only Blue.

Finn is also a viable option, though I don't have a clue what the deck would look like.

It is very hard to decide.

You have to wait for the first expansion set and play him with a young Obi Wan Kenobi, non elite version. That would be awesome!

I think his ability looks great on paper, but in reality isn't that awesome.

Consider what he actually does with a 1-shield result: You lose a shield, gain a shield, and do a damage. Net result: 1 damage. Just like a 1 Melee or 1 Ranged result.

His ability shines in two places: First, when you get results > 1. At that point he does the damage while gaining net shields, for a nice bit of action economy. Second, it gives him some protection from cards like Block that would otherwise have the potential to remove damage results.

But it's got drawbacks, too - you're going to have to put all your shields on Qui-Gon in order for this to work, making your other characters a really big target. You already have to have a shield on him for it to work, which forces you into activation patterns and gives your opponent a way to stymie you. And if you're going to take advantage of it reliably you're going to have to build towards it, which means less damage.

I think it's a cool ability, but I really don't see it as anything super-powered.

So every die triggers him if hè has a shield present. Play him elite and hè Will be public enemy number one so hè Will be shieldless most of time. Great ability far from broker or overpowered. Very force full in what you do.

Qui gon elite and leia could be a great opportunity

that doesn't feel right...shouldn't his ability trigger ONCE per action?

There's no limitation that it does so. It triggers once per opportunity - in this case, when he gains shields. Each die resolves individually, each die grants shields individually, his response triggers from each.

You're not running the trench to blow up the Death Star. Don't trust your feelings. Read the rules :D

b958b84ad96c805248fd1cbcdbb73421b6a1158c

You're not running the trench to blow up the Death Star. Don't trust your feelings. Read the rules :D

Here is the resolve dice section from page 14 of the rules. I have it copied and pasted and just thrown in some formatting to make it read easier:

RESOLVE DICE
Each die side has a symbol on it (see page 9). A player may resolve one or more dice in their pool that have the same symbol, one at a time (unless adding a modified die, then the dice are resolved simultaneously). To resolve a die, a player must pay any costs and carry out the effect represented by the symbol on that die. Then they return it to the card that it came from.
bullet.jpg A player can only resolve dice in their own dice pool.
bullet.jpg A player can resolve dice with different values during the same action, provided the dice share a symbol.

bullet.jpg A player cannot choose to resolve dice symbols if they have no symbols of that type to resolve. A player must resolve at least one die when taking this action.

In a minor bit of fairness to those who are confused, I think the Resolve Dice section should be far more detailed. There are several fuzzy questions based on the wording, such as whether you can chain BB-8 specials or not, that are almost certainly going to be top of the list for the first FAQ.

Not that this is unclear at all - but having to go to the Dooku entry for a similar case rather than just having it in the core rules points to the weakness.

Thank you everyone! I now have a full understanding of how QGJ's ability is played correctly. And Dooku as well.

The next part is figuring out who to pair with him. His cost is extremely tough to pair. Originally, I was thinking Padme, but I am not sure a mill deck will survive. Some builds can put out a lot of dmg.

Rey could work, but like stated, you are forced to use only Blue.

Finn is also a viable option, though I don't have a clue what the deck would look like.

It is very hard to decide.

I had success in a tournament with Elite Qui-Gon and Finn. Finn unlocks two great cards that help Quigon: Hunker Down and Diplomatic Immunity. I would put Diplomatic Immunity on Finn and use him to feed shields to QuiGon.

I also had a great combo going with the Starship Graveyard. With 2 copies of Jedi Robes by mid game I was constantly overwriting one at the start of each turn to gain a shield and do a damage.

I think his ability looks great on paper, but in reality isn't that awesome.

Consider what he actually does with a 1-shield result: You lose a shield, gain a shield, and do a damage. Net result: 1 damage. Just like a 1 Melee or 1 Ranged result.

This is what makes his ability so good. His die has 2 Melee sides and 2 shield sides. That means if QuiGon has a shield he has a 66% chance to roll a side that will deal damage

...ok.

Last time I attempt to discuss rules on this board.

b958b84ad96c805248fd1cbcdbb73421b6a1158c

Thank you!!

...ok.

Look, if you're going to get your feelings (see what I did there?) hurt, that's up to you. But you should consider how you entered this conversation. We had a rules question that had been going for two pages. The correct answer had been presented repeatedly, including citing an identical case which is directly addressed in the FAQ. Then you post that it doesn't feel right - no rules, no examples, no breakdown of anything that even tries to address all the previous conversation.

Hopefully you can see why others would find that a bit frustrating?

...and if you can't, it's probably indeed better that you never again try to discuss rules on this board.

In a minor bit of fairness to those who are confused, I think the Resolve Dice section should be far more detailed. There are several fuzzy questions based on the wording, such as whether you can chain BB-8 specials or not, that are almost certainly going to be top of the list for the first FAQ.

Not that this is unclear at all - but having to go to the Dooku entry for a similar case rather than just having it in the core rules points to the weakness.

I am actually finding that the rules problems are on me, I didn't read the rule just right rather than the rule was badly worded or I failed to comprehend part of the sentence in question.

For this one lets look at:

special.jpg SPECIAL:

Uses the special ability marked by a special.jpg symbol on that die’s card. Specials have a value of 0.

bullet.jpg A player cannot use the special ability on a different card; they must use the special ability on the die’s matching card.

bullet.jpg Just like other symbols, a player can use multiple special abilities during the same action, and chooses the order that they are resolved in.

As you resolve a dice one at a time, I look at BB-8's dice, I can't use another cards special effect for his. I roll his dice and another, his dice comes up with a special. Now that I have finished his first special ability I can resolve another special, looking at my dice pool isn't there a BB-8 special in there? What if the other dice I rolled came up with a special, couldn't I resolve that dice too? Unless I have missed something, I am happy to have you resolve these specials as they are in you pool.

As you resolve a dice one at a time, I look at BB-8's dice, I can't use another cards special effect for his. I roll his dice and another, his dice comes up with a special. Now that I have finished his first special ability I can resolve another special, looking at my dice pool isn't there a BB-8 special in there? What if the other dice I rolled came up with a special, couldn't I resolve that dice too? Unless I have missed something, I am happy to have you resolve these specials as they are in you pool.

I agree with this, but not everyone does. It is possible to read the action as selecting one or more dice, and then resolving those - that is, you pick the dice to resolve, then do so one at a time. In this case new results come into the pool after you've made that selection, so you can't add them to what you're resolving. That would also require selection of multiple results to be made before resolving any - so you couldn't (for example) use one Kylo special and see what you drew before deciding if it was worth resolving the other.

Again, I think the way you present here is right, but it's not slam-dunk obvious. And for such an absolutely fundamental part of the game, that's pretty bad. FFG's gotten a lot better at tightening up their rules since the travesty that was X-wing, but they still tend towards WTFs like this more often than they should.

I agree with this, but not everyone does. It is possible to read the action as selecting one or more dice, and then resolving those - that is, you pick the dice to resolve, then do so one at a time. In this case new results come into the pool after you've made that selection, so you can't add them to what you're resolving. That would also require selection of multiple results to be made before resolving any - so you couldn't (for example) use one Kylo special and see what you drew before deciding if it was worth resolving the other.

Again, I think the way you present here is right, but it's not slam-dunk obvious. And for such an absolutely fundamental part of the game, that's pretty bad. FFG's gotten a lot better at tightening up their rules since the travesty that was X-wing, but they still tend towards WTFs like this more often than they should.

I actually think the rules have this covered. First, look at page 9 of the Rules Reference guide. You will notice that ALL dice that are in play and can be resolved are part of the "Dice Pool". Now, let's check out the ruling on page 14 for resolving dice:

RESOLVE DICE

Each die side has a symbol on it (see page 9). A player may

resolve one or more dice in their pool that have the same

symbol, one at a time (unless adding a modified die, then the

dice are resolved simultaneously). To resolve a die, a player

must pay any costs and carry out the effect represented by

the symbol on that die. Then they return it to the card that it

came from.

••A player can only resolve dice in their own dice pool.

••A player can resolve dice with different values during the

same action, provided the dice share a symbol.

••A player cannot choose to resolve dice symbols if they have

no symbols of that type to resolve. A player must resolve at

least one die when taking this action.

Even after re-rolling, that die is STILL in the Dice Pool. The rules states that dice of the same symbol may be resolved "one at at time" and nowhere does it say you must select all beforehand. If a special causes another die to be changed to a special result, that NEW special result is a valid die in the Dice Pool that may be resolved.

Edited by Stone37

The crux of their argument is this:

A player may resolve one or more dice in their pool that have the same symbol, one at a time.

The action is to resolve one or more dice - so you pick the dice at the beginning as part of the action declaration. There's a certain logic to this from other systems - declaring an action often includes declaration of the target. The phrasing "one or more dice" also sounds like it's a selection definition, not just rolling until you run out of dice or don't feel like it.

Again, not saying I agree with this interpretation - but I really don't think the rules are all that cut-and-dried on it.

Edited by Buhallin

I agree, the rules do not make it clear as part of the resolve dice action whether

a) you need to specify how many/which dice you are resolving at the start of the action

or

b) if you keep going (one die at a time) until you decide to stop - which of course would mean that if additional dice with the same symbol entered the pool as part of resolving a dice then they are available to be resolved as part of the action.

Furelli

Not the rules sheet nor the rules reference mention the amount of dice being resolved to be declared. So keep going until you must or want to stop. resolve the special of bb8 where you also rol character Xand then the special of character X is very viable.

maybe the amount to resolve will become more important and possibly a rule to declare the amount of resolution dice. The resolution pool if you will :) but up to now there is no such thing.

Not the rules sheet nor the rules reference mention the amount of dice being resolved to be declared. So keep going until you must or want to stop. resolve the special of bb8 where you also rol character Xand then the special of character X is very viable.

maybe the amount to resolve will become more important and possibly a rule to declare the amount of resolution dice. The resolution pool if you will :) but up to now there is no such thing.

Exactly!! Stop putting words in the rules that do not exist. It says NOTHING about having to declare which die you want to resolve other than the type. The rules clearly state you resolve dice one at a time and as many of the same type as you wish.

there has beeen no official ruling on this and the conversation continues for several posts. there is some confusion on the issue, dismissing my post with a meme doesn't make the issue go away.

...ok.

Look, if you're going to get your feelings (see what I did there?) hurt, that's up to you. But you should consider how you entered this conversation. We had a rules question that had been going for two pages. The correct answer had been presented repeatedly, including citing an identical case which is directly addressed in the FAQ. Then you post that it doesn't feel right - no rules, no examples, no breakdown of anything that even tries to address all the previous conversation.

...and if you can't, it's probably indeed better that you never again try to discuss rules on this board.

there has beeen no official ruling on this and the conversation continues for several posts. there is some confusion on the issue, dismissing my post with a meme doesn't make the issue go away.

...ok.

Many have addressed your questions with FACTS from the rule book. The meme doesn't dismiss your argument, but the reading of the rules does. You have offered no counter with support from the rules and reference material.

I'm not really arguing the ruling as it does seem clear in this particular card...but it does create some weird sub-phase of timing that could make other cards have some strange interactions. Each resolution of a die creates a "window" for actions that trigger on dice resolving correct?

I'm not really arguing the ruling as it does seem clear in this particular card...but it does create some weird sub-phase of timing that could make other cards have some strange interactions. Each resolution of a die creates a "window" for actions that trigger on dice resolving correct?

Yes, each die resolution can potentially be the trigger for an ability or effect.

This is pretty well covered in the RRG. Look up triggers and "limbo".