Prized Possession

By Scopi, in Star Wars: Destiny

I believe you can't replace a unique upgrade with itself, because you can't even play the card from your hand.

"There cannot be more than one copy of a unique character on a team, and a player cannot play a unique support or unique upgrade if they already have another copy of that card in play ."

Not only that, look at how you're supposed to play upgrades, you put it in play first, then replace one if you want, then you pay the cost..so...

"Playing an Upgrade: The player chooses and attaches the upgrade to a character by placing it next to or below that character. Before paying the cost to play an upgrade, the player can choose to replace an upgrade that is already on the chosen character. The cost to play the new upgrade is decreased by the cost of the old upgrade, and the old upgrade is discarded when the new one comes into play. If the old upgrade costs equal to or more than the new one, then the new upgrade is free."

that's what i thought at first until others convinced me otherwise

i'd like to see an official ruling on this topic

I feel they will rule you can't over-write a unique with itself. The interaction with PP can completely neuter any non elite team and any future upgrade with back to back gains will always allow the double play for free because you are discounting it's own price. I don't feel they intended it to work that way. All this strat is missing is a tutor affect and it'd be broken as all hell.

I believe you can't replace a unique upgrade with itself, because you can't even play the card from your hand.

"There cannot be more than one copy of a unique character on a team, and a player cannot play a unique support or unique upgrade if they already have another copy of that card in play ."

Not only that, look at how you're supposed to play upgrades, you put it in play first, then replace one if you want, then you pay the cost..so...

"Playing an Upgrade: The player chooses and attaches the upgrade to a character by placing it next to or below that character. Before paying the cost to play an upgrade, the player can choose to replace an upgrade that is already on the chosen character. The cost to play the new upgrade is decreased by the cost of the old upgrade, and the old upgrade is discarded when the new one comes into play. If the old upgrade costs equal to or more than the new one, then the new upgrade is free."

that's what i thought at first until others convinced me otherwise

i'd like to see an official ruling on this topic

I don't know doesn't get more official and clear to me than the rule book explicitly say you can not play a card if it's unique and you already have one in play. Seems pretty cut and dry.

Edited by netherspirit

I feel they will rule you can't over-write a unique with itself. The interaction with PP can completely neuter any non elite team and any future upgrade with back to back gains will always allow the double play for free because you are discounting it's own price. I don't feel they intended it to work that way. All this strat is missing is a tutor affect and it'd be broken as all hell.

maybe so, but when playing against any competitive deck, unless you get lucky (or unlucky sometimes) with rolling a lot of resources early to pay for prized possession, those are resources that could have been spent on numerous other things to keep your opponent at bay. odds are if they are an aggressive deck, one of your characters is already half dead before you even play prized possession in the first place

so i don't think it's really broken, because it's expensive to play

anything that cost more than 2 resources is already on the expensive end. 3 resource cards are tricky enough to time right unless you deck has good resource generation, and it becomes exponentially harder to play cards with each resource gain

i'm curious to see how popular AT-ST becomes if someone finds a good resource generation deck that can also hold off the aggro in time to make a swing back in their favor

Edited by executor