So um. Destiny is amazing. Bravo FFG.

By Tierdal, in Star Wars: Destiny

I love the SW LCG. It had a terrible launch, and a very very unpolished core. (to FFGs credit it pioneered and completely new way to deck build and that took some time to understand...and its currently in the best state its ever been).

Destiny (being a CCG) with everything upfront available...is in such a good state. I could type for hours but here are the bullets for you to know (IMHO) to get friends to buy in:

1) Money =/= You Win. It is a CCG, you will need luck for rares/legendaries. But a Rey or Kylo based deck with a few boosters will be NEARLY as effective (in the right deck) as a super BEST LEGENDARY CHARACTERS deck. The legendaries are good, but the are not even always the best card. Time will tell but how you build your deck means more than "having access to all cards to min.max". There are so many ways to build and the game is setup to be able to disrupt your opponents strategy.

2) This is not Magic level RNG blind buying. 16 legendary cards and 100+ cards in a cycle means nearly EVERY CARD HAS VALUE when paired with the right heroes. This is not magic with 450 cards in a set with 350 of those cards being pointless to the point of just throwing them in the garbage. When you buy a pack, you will get cards that are playable. There is RNG - and if you want everything it could get pricey, but you do not need to invest 300+ dollars to be competitive. You could easily buy 1 booster box for 107 (less than a LCG starter box set ..since you usually need 2 or 3 boxes) and 17 bucks more than a full cycle of LCG cards. Not you don't get everything but one box will EASILY allow you to trade for what you want and get you a solid world tournament worthy deck.

3) Trading is kind of awesome. I love the LCGs, SW LCG continues to be one of my favorite games. But there is room for a CCG and while it has limitations when compared to LCGs it also has advantages. Getting that one Jabba you need in your 36th pack (last pack of a box) is exhilarating and trading something a meta buddy needs for something you need builds bonds and friendships.

4) The game is so well done. It is not as deeply strategic as the LCGs (yet?) but it is high tactical and moves so quickly. Its just ACTION>ACTIONS>ACTION ect... back and forth reacting to the ever changing battlefield. It is a brilliant design.

5) The Starter Packs are NOT like Magic Duel Decks. They come with REAL cards that are useful. 2 of any one starter and a few packs and I predict you could literally make a World Championship worthy deck (currently). Would it be the best? No. But it wouldn't be like taking a duel deck to a Magic Tournement. You would ABSOLUTELY be competitive. Kylo with mind probe is more scary that darth vader IMHO.

If you were down on this game for being a CCG...or thinking FFG are sellouts because they didn't make it an LCG ...or just never liked random boosters ala magic (I hated it outside of occasional limited drafts)... give it a look. Find a friend who has it and try it. You will be hooked from the first roll.

Edited by Tierdal

I have had the same thoughts. I REALLY didn't want to like this game because it was a CCG, but Team Covenant (**** you and your shiny videos) talked me into giving it a try. I'm HOOKED! My wife (who likes games, but would hiss at games like MTG) also loves playing with me and we've already spent hours over the last few days talking about cards we want and how to shape our current decks.

Give this game a go on Dec. 1st. Buy a starter and 5 boosters. This will be enough to build a 30 card deck with options.

I have had the same thoughts. I REALLY didn't want to like this game because it was a CCG, but Team Covenant (**** you and your shiny videos) talked me into giving it a try. I'm HOOKED! My wife (who likes games, but would hiss at games like MTG) also loves playing with me and we've already spent hours over the last few days talking about cards we want and how to shape our current decks.

Give this game a go on Dec. 1st. Buy a starter and 5 boosters. This will be enough to build a 30 card deck with options.

:)

I will say that sometimes you can get character screwed where you cant't build an optimal 30 pt deck. I had vader/jabba and made a vader/jabba deck...but was down 3 points cuz I didnt have a second jabba die. Luckily my second box I cracked one on my 6th pack. Wish I was lucky enough to get another hahn too but oh well I got luke (and traded my extra ATST for the Falcon) so...all is well and good =0 Have the proper 30 point spread is my one complaint with the game (the elite system that is) just because it can punish you for using that shiny new legnedary...but im sure there will be future setup cards for 1,2 ,3 ,4 points ect... to help make it worth while.

but yea... with 5 boosters and a starter youll be in a competitive place almost assuredly. I'd say 2 starters (of the same kind) and 3-4 boosters would be the most ASSURED way to have the right team and a great selection of cards. The starter decks are not garbage Magic The Gathers duel packs. they are legitimate scary cards (force throw, mind probe) ect..

We are all just using a standard 6 sided die for the "second". I know we won't be able to do that in a tournament.... but we can at home when we're just having fun!

We are all just using a standard 6 sided die for the "second". I know we won't be able to do that in a tournament.... but we can at home when we're just having fun!

Yea - I am just SUPER anal about that sort of stuff. I cant even get myself to proxy pre-revealed LCG cards lol. But its totally valid. BTW the dice in this game is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful.

Agreed.

I was going to avoid the game because I've been bitten my the "collectible" bug one time too many. However, a friend of mine was going to be out of town and unable to attend so I told him I'd go to the launch event as his proxy and he could have the stuff afterwards.

BIG MISTAKE!

The game play is tight and quick and the combo of dice rolling with deck building is pretty slick. Add in that I pulled two Legendaries out of the six extra boosters and I was hooked. Luckily there was enough product for me to still grab a starter and some boosters for him.

Yea - I am just SUPER anal about that sort of stuff. I cant even get myself to proxy pre-revealed LCG cards lol. But its totally valid. BTW the dice in this game is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful.

Agreed. The dice and cards are beautiful!

Only thing we are using proxies for are dice. The real card is there, just using a standard 6 sided dice for that second "Elite". This makes the game more fun for all of us. I pulled a Capt Phasma and a Han Solo and have loved playing with both of them!

I agree with a couple points made here... ohh man i did not expect this game to be that fun. The game is really simple to learn but offers extremely tactical decisions and is quiet deep. And yes both starters + a booster box should give you a great start at tournament play.

But the deckbuilding with 1 starter + 6 boosters is extremely limited... Most of us couldn´t really make a different team than the starter team at the launch event because they pulled characters out of color or no characters at all. some of us also struggled making 30 card decks.. I for example had 12 cards that I could add to my Rey starter, not really what I hoped for. It was at least enough to get to 30 cards, though most of them i won´t play when I get more cards...

But man all games I played where fast, very close and extremely fun... So thumbs up

I really like everything that's been mentioned so far, but I'll add in that the booster packs are really well done in regards to no bent cards. The cardboard inserts work great and unlike Dice Masters, I don't have any damaged Destiny cards.

Agree that this game is great. Most important of all it is so fun to play. I've played three really fun games so far. It is easy to pick up and teach and seems like deck building and strategy will keep me interested. Agree that starter sets have some great cards. Rey set has 'Daring Escape' that makes you reroll any number of dice the opponent wants and forces you to remove blanks. Someone used that on me and removed all my dice including the ones that were already blank that he hadn't made me reroll. Then he got another action. Wow!

I have to say I was really hoping this game would be good and I think FFG nailed it.

5) The Starter Packs are NOT like Magic Duel Decks. They come with REAL cards that are useful. 2 of any one starter and a few packs and I predict you could literally make a World Championship worthy deck (currently). Would it be the best? No. But it wouldn't be like taking a duel deck to a Magic Tournement. You would ABSOLUTELY be competitive. Kylo with mind probe is more scary that darth vader IMHO.

Just nitpicking on this point.

The game has one set and only 174 unique cards. I'm pretty sure people could make 'world championship worthy decks' from a few boosters from the first ever MtG set too.

Everything the OP said but in a supah sexy New Englandah accent.

/pep Tierdal

Very insightful analysis into the competitive meta that has yet to materialize. OP must be a blue character.

I'm curious, which Magic sets have 450 cards in them? It appears WotC owes me some cards.

Very insightful analysis into the competitive meta that has yet to materialize. OP must be a blue character.

I'm curious, which Magic sets have 450 cards in them? It appears WotC owes me some cards.

Time Spiral had 422... close enough? ;)

Sure, we can go with that.

Let me dispel a myth real quick: large sets are generally better for the health of a card game, all things being equal. Destiny looks promising, but the small card pool leaves me just as cautious as every other fledgling FFG property.