How to avoid analysis paralysis?

By Arma virumque2, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

So, I'm trying to figure out how to teach this game to my wife in such a manner that she actually enjoys it. My big worry is the challenges phase. All my (solitaire) test games come down with a serious case of analysis paralysis during that phase, particularly after there are about 4 characters in play on each side.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how newbies can get through the challenge phase without the tempo bogging down? Rules of thumb, even if they're only useful half the time, would be a great help.

I always have special decks for introducing people to the game. By special decks i mean, try to build decks with only some basics. So the decks should only include charachters with simple gametexts and only the keyword renown (you can as well build decks with other keywords and ignore them for the fist 2-3 games), that way you can play a game or two and than start to explain things like stealth, deadly etc.

I also recommend to run only 2-3 different events with simple game texts and more attachments than events because they are better visible and don´t have the surprise factor of events. Plots should only have a claim value of 1, that way it isn´t necessary to overload a newcomers attention.

If you played a game or two, change the decks afterwards and have some more games. Than add some more complex cards to the decks, such like charachters with the stealth and deadly keywords and play again.

Oh and it could help to use some diffferent colored dices, gaming stones, whatever is available to keep track of the already initiated challenges. Example: You use a red, a green and blue dice for every player. Once you initiated an intrigue challenge you remove the green dice to indicate that you´ve already done an intrigue challenge this round. than you remove the red dice to initiate a military challenge. With the gaming pieces it should also be easier to remember that there are different forms of challenges which have different results.

The only real "rule-of-thumb" that comes to mind for the Challenge phase is that more often than not, you will want to do the Intrigue challenge first. That's because the "prize" is to get rid of cards from your opponent's hand - and the fewer cards they have in hand, the less likely they are to throw a nasty surprise at you.

Arma virumque said:

So, I'm trying to figure out how to teach this game to my wife in such a manner that she actually enjoys it. My big worry is the challenges phase. All my (solitaire) test games come down with a serious case of analysis paralysis during that phase, particularly after there are about 4 characters in play on each side.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how newbies can get through the challenge phase without the tempo bogging down? Rules of thumb, even if they're only useful half the time, would be a great help.

Agree with both Old Ben and Ktom...
And I'd add a useful thing I usually do when I demonstrate the game (and other game like this).

Build up a pre constructed "field" with 3 chars per side, just for Challenges phase.

It seems complicated at first glance, but it's not. it's more complicated for you than for her.

This is my usual "demonstration" board.

You: 2 Chars M, P and 2 Strength. 1 Char with both Intrigue and Power and Strength 2.

Her: 2 Chars I, P and 1 Stregnth. 1 Char M and 2 Stregnth.

Step 1: you attack with a M,P 2 Str Guy, letting her choose...BUt the tendence is that she has to defend with her only Military Guy. So, let her kill itself for the Military claim.

Step 2: pass your turn and let her attack you. Try to focus on her Intrigue icons and let her understand that she has to attack with both the 1 Str guys with Intrigue. You defend whit your only Intrigue guy and lose the challenge and Satisfy the military claim.

Step 3: You should whin dominance with your Standing M, P and 2 Str guy.

With this 3 simple steps she understands a bunch of basic elements of the game with no fatigue at all:

- Military and Intrigue effect;

- As Ktom Said, if able, try to do Intrigue fisrt;

- Unopposed challenge claim to avoid declaring defenders;

- Kneelin' all of your chars without reasoning about it, will bring you to lose Dominance;

- Order of challenges is not imperative;

- You don't have to do multiple challenges if you don't want to.

- With tied strength, the attacker wins.

This is an example I usually use. Try to figure out some funny pre constructed field. By them, she'll get the point soon and without getting bored.

Let us Know!!!

C'mon wife! :-)