Can I power of the force a special icon?

By Manzanita9, in Star Wars: Destiny

Soooo.....I can't find in the rules somewhere that it would say I can't modify the value of a "special" icon (burst with circle around it). So is it legit for me to combo "the power of the force". "Resolve one of your dice, treating its value as equal to the number of blue upgrades you have in play". And then Apply that to a Kylo Ren special die? Or because it has no value can in it do that? Or is the value considered zero and can be replaced?

That's the way I read it. I'll need to double check rules on the special action though.

RRG specifically states that Special icons never have a value.

Potf can't change that.

Potf can't change that.

Where does it say that? All I can find is that it is considered having a value of 0.

F.ex. page 8: "Blanks and specials have no value printed on the die, and are considered to have a value of 0."

You could use Power of the force to resolve Kylos special, treating it as having a value of 1 (0+1), but Kylos special makes no mention of the value of the die you are resolving, so it would change nothing. He still delas damage based on the value of the card he looks at, not any value on any dice.

Or am I missing what the OP is tying to do here?

Potf can't change that.

Where does it say that? All I can find is that it is considered having a value of 0.

F.ex. page 8: "Blanks and specials have no value printed on the die, and are considered to have a value of 0."

You could use Power of the force to resolve Kylos special, treating it as having a value of 1 (0+1), but Kylos special makes no mention of the value of the die you are resolving, so it would change nothing. He still delas damage based on the value of the card he looks at, not any value on any dice.

But the value on the dice represent how much damage/resources/etc you do when using the die. Special abilities are executed once, the number does not state how many times you can execute that special ability (which is what I think you are getting at?).

So even if you could change the value of the special dice from zero to say four, it would still not affect the effect of the Kylo's special, which would be executed only once.

The other dice state that their effects are based on the value on the dice, which is what you modify with the card in question.

Archie

Potf can't change that.

But the value on the dice represent how much damage/resources/etc you do when using the die. Special abilities are executed once, the number does not state how many times you can execute that special ability (which is what I think you are getting at?).

So even if you could change the value of the special dice from zero to say four, it would still not affect the effect of the Kylo's special, which would be executed only once.

The other dice state that their effects are based on the value on the dice, which is what you modify with the card in question.

Archie

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say :)

Technicaly you can increase the "value" of the special symbol, but it will have no effect on what it actualy does.

Potf can't change that.

Archie

Technicaly you can increase the "value" of the special symbol, but it will have no effect on what it actualy does.

Fair enough, and probably a more accurate breakdown with the same ultimate effect.

So yeah, you can change the value, the value is just meaningless.

Potf can't change that.

Archie

Yeah I know, quoted the wrong post :)

Archie

Thanks! So no instant kills with mind probe or anything. That was my intuition and I was hoping this game would have good balance and no broken combos....or at least combos with a counter strategy...here's hoping!