Hive Mind: Organising the collection w/ growth in mind

By KMitchell, in Star Wars: Destiny

Right... We've bought some starter decks, probably opened some boosters (I got a Han Solo! Now I just need another...), and we've enjoyed rolling these wrecking balls now for the last day or so at launch events.

I used to play MtG waaaay back in the day, but there wasn't much in the way of large extra bits that needed to be stored - The dice in Destiny pose heir own problem.

So how are people going to be organising their collections (cards and dice) for home? I think I've figured out what I want to do for deck transportation. I'm looking at one of these - storing decks in the top bit, dice in the bottom and tokens in the little drawer.

It's all the bits that aren't being dragged around to game nights that I'm wondering how to store.

Do you break it down by Hero/Villain/Neutral first, then by colour? or vice versa?

Thoughts from the Hive Mind?

Today I saw a few people using different strategies. One person had his cards in a card box and his dice/tokens in a plano sleeve. Another person had his cards and tokens in a card box and his dice were sorted by colors in those about 3 inch high plastic card holders. Both seemed to work reasonably well. The plano guy had a much easier time pulling out the dice that he needed when he played a card.

I think the starter inserts are pretty good. They stack and if you poke the dice from the back of the tray they pop out easy.

I think the starter inserts are pretty good. They stack and if you poke the dice from the back of the tray they pop out easy.

I was thinking something along these lines as well, but I was struggling to fit a sleeved deck in there as well. :(

I was thinking something along these lines as well, but I was struggling to fit a sleeved deck in there as well. :(

struggling is an understatement. It just wont fit. Also my big fingers cant take the dice out good enough I'll be hunting for another solution in foam maybe.

I think the Ultimate Guard deck box is a good idea. For now I plan on using a Plano box for storage purposes, just not sure what to use for Organized Play events. I'm going to want to keep my dice hidden from my opponent, so a Plano box just won't cut it.

I have my pages, colour coded. Into these I have placed little slips of paper with the cards within the set by ID.

pages.jpg

I have my sleeves:

sws25-28_fan.png

I have my box, the top section should hold 2-3 decks and the middle section my tokens (TC and BE) and the bottom section holds 3x4x4 dice, enough to store the dice needed for those 2-3 decks.

My deck box: ultimate.jpg

As for my dice storage that one is still being looked into. Probably a tackle box or kitchen storage box of some kind.

Plano tackle box for dice and standard binder and card sheets for the cards. The Plano box can also hold decks for use.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm sorting by type first - characters, deck, battlefield. Then, second by color. Lastly by affiliation. I'm usually looking for particular color cards to match with my selected characters, with affiliation being slightly less important because everyone their affiliation and neutral, and characters like Finn can cross all affiliation lines. I will eventually use binders with card pages to store the cards, but things are going to be in flux for the next few months as I purchase one or more boxes of boosters. For now, I'll use the handy card boxes I got at the pre-release events.

I'm also storing the dice in the same manner, in plastic divided cases. I group the many dice of the same color and affiliation together in as few compartments as I can while still easily being able to see them and dig them out. Since I build my deck first, using the cards as a reference for where to find its matching die is fairly simple. Once I get a couple of booster gravity feeds, I may to need to find a way to further sort the dice, but for now grouping duplicates together helps to spot them more easily. When we start getting into additional sets, I think a decent dice filing system is going to be very important.

I think I'll just use a dice bag for the die involved in a travel deck. I was surprised that my first 30 card deck included 13 dice (in addition to 4 character dice), but I think that's still a reasonably managable number.

So how are people going to be organising their collections (cards and dice) for home? I think I've figured out what I want to do for deck transportation. I'm looking at one of these - storing decks in the top bit, dice in the bottom and tokens in the little drawer.

Holy ****, first time seeing this company. Thanks... you just cost me money....

A Footnote for Footnote (First time you have heard that I bet :ph34r: )

Wait 'till you see what they do for X-Wing or Armada style games.

My deck box: ultimate.jpg

Do the Destiny dice fit in this box? I am not hopeful, but I would love to be able to simply grab one simple box when heading to game night.

A Footnote for Footnote (First time you have heard that I bet :ph34r: )

Wait 'till you see what they do for X-Wing or Armada style games.

I have a cheap (plano?) tackle box for X-Wing. Probably keep it, or move up to a bigger cheap tackle box as needed.

I trialed it with some King of Tokyo dice and they went in nicely.

My Launch is this Friday coming so I can photograph and post on Saturday.

I trialed it with some King of Tokyo dice and they went in nicely.

My Launch is this Friday coming so I can photograph and post on Saturday.

Thanks, I might take my dice to the local comic book store in the next day or two and see what they have that works.