Holiday Sale -- what does this mean for BattleLore?

By Budgernaut, in BattleLore

The core set is a hoot and a blast. You will have tons of fun with it. It has enough replayability to be played for a long time.

The expansions will spice things up of course, but the core game is sound as it is.

Edited by Phil_Fantus

Given that the core set is all that is left of the sale, is the game still worth getting? Looking through the instructions, it anticipates that players will use expansions or even additional core sets to amplify the experience, which has me wonder if the core set is a strong self-contained game. If I only have the core set, is it a game that has good variety and replayability?

Thanks!

GET IT!

The core set has a lot of replayability, and I mean a LOT. It'll keep you occupied for quite a while. It was well worth the $80 for me to buy it at MSRP. At $30, there is no reason not to get it. It is not an incomplete game by any means. The expansions add a few minor twists as they explore more of the mechanics, but the core mechanics of the game -- or in other words, the core FUN of the game -- are all contained within the core set.

Those who talk about having an "incomplete" game (like myself) wish that there were more factions. If I had a choice, I would have preferred Elves and Undead for the first expansions, then fleshed out each faction later. If all we had were 4 armies that had the same variety as the core (including unique lore decks, 5 units, and 7 scenarios), that would have been plenty for me.

Edited by Budgernaut

Thanks for the feedback! I just placed my order.

First time posting about this news... sad as anyone else as the holiday sale often seems to spell doom for games.

It's a perfectly fine game as it is. Any complaints that it's "incomplete" are usually just frustration that it's an excellent system that warrants more content, not anything wrong with the game itself. The expansions deliver a lot... if you get hooked I imagine the expansions will still be available from other retailers as long as inventory holds. CSI still has a handful of each at their discounted retail price.

I agree. The base game of BL2 is a totally fine stand-alone. Also when I mentioned that the game feels a bit unfinished, it is because we have 1 "good" and two "bad" fractions and we all probably expected 4 fractions at least. The base game includes the hole mechanics and the expansions just offer you more diversity.

By the way, a friend of mine bought the "Magic the Gathering"-Boardgame. This game is hell of unfinished as it is... I would have felt so annoyed if I would have bought this one... it's just obvious that they sold a semi-fixed game with the plan to sell the rest with expansions (ok, it's still Magic, but...)

greetz

I'm looking at getting the core set, at least, to wet my pallet for RW:TMG. How much background on the Runebound universe is in there? How about Descent?

Edited by Feldwebel_Francis

I haven't played all the expansions for Descent, but what I have played leaves a lot to be desired in the way of background information. So far, it amounts to: A long time ago a great evil was overthrown by a group of heroes. That evil is returning, and so a new group of heroes (you) have to overthrow the evil overlord. That's about it. Each quest is pretty self-contained for the most part, allowing them to be played as one-offs. The campaigns have some running story to them, but not much in the way of backstory.

That's too bad.

I'm looking at getting the core set, at least, to wet my pallet for RW:TMG. How much background on the Runebound universe is in there? How about Descent?

Runiverse documents

Note; you have to be a boardgamegeek member to download files from their website.

Edited by kronovan

Thank you very much.

Prices for expansions are creeping up in the UK and stock availability is definately looking low for some of them, undead packs in particular.

I decided to go all in on the main army sets now as there is no mention of reprints and just in case there isn't another print - i think i feel better owning them than risking it.

Despite all the sadness about the lack of elves (which may still come one day when elves hit Runewars) i think there is a lot of play variety with 3 expanded armies but agree a fourth would complete the game nicely.

Yeah I'm just ordering a Giant and a Dragon to 'finish the collection' and have x1 of everything.

Tempted to get another copy of the 3 neutral units, but it's probably not completely necessary?

Yeah I'm just ordering a Giant and a Dragon to 'finish the collection' and have x1 of everything.

Tempted to get another copy of the 3 neutral units, but it's probably not completely necessary?

Unless you want to play Dragon vs Dragon or Giant vs Giant or you want to create something impossible with Razorwings, then, no, it's not completely necessary. It's just more variation.

My payment just bounced back from FFG. Not sure what to do now, get the expansions from a local store or wait until they reply to my e-mail...

But I'm still hoping it's not the end of BattleLore :P

Ten days after my order is placed for the expansions I need and no update on whether it's shipped. Normal?

yeah, they said shipping could take a while, so, no worries. Consider they got the office closed from Thanksgiving to today (so, no shipping), I'd not worry about this

Ten days after my order is placed for the expansions I need and no update on whether it's shipped. Normal?

My payment bounced back on the 11th day :D

e: just got an explanation - "The initial hold was a preauthorization. The Final charge will occur when the order ships." :)

Edited by Yavimatuzalem