Custom Characters!

By Phoenyx, in Talisman Home Brews

Hi guys, relatively new to talisman and couldnt resist creating some custom characters!

Would appreciate your experienced thoughts and opinions! Especially as regards balance and tweaking as making sure they're not overpowered etc is quite tricky ;-)

Many Thanks :-)

2n097cg.jpg

2cwqtt4.jpg

zlq6hs.jpg

2yv798m.jpg

1t7kog.jpg

332s6xg.jpg

4vgspt.jpg

spdtv6.jpg

24yqlbb.jpg

My initial thought: your ladies need more clothes. If I were going to print these, I'd change that artwork. I very much like how you made the background just like the game's, but those ladies look like courtesans, not a paladin and pirate.

HIGH ELF PRINCE

With Cataclysm, Bow is also in the purchase deck.

3rd and 4th abilities - incorrect wording (look at warrior and druid)

FROST MAGE

he (or she, or they) will become frozen and will miss his (her, their) next turn.

life, not Life

HUNTER

3rd ability - incorrect wording (check swashbuckler)

last ability is probably worded wrong, (check minstrel)

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've updated the grammar and wording on the Elf, Mage and Hunter as per your suggestions Bludgeon, cheers :-)

I've also altered the illustrations on the Paladin and Pirate as you can see below ElfPuddle - Hopefully at least a little more tasteful and fitting for now ;-)

e9dfee.jpg

141tyz5.jpg

jr2w41.jpg

5z1xcm.jpg

14snzt3.jpg

Edited by Phoenyx

Much more tasteful! Thank you so much!
My brain is too tired to proofread tonight, but I'll come back tomorrow and look at the text. :)

I can help with the wording but I will need text versions of those characters.

Edited by Bludgeon

Cheers guys :-)

The originals are Photoshop files using a template from Talisman Island's website. I can try upload those files or certainly higher resolution jpegs if it's useful :-)

Edited by Phoenyx

Not really.

Just paste the text into a reply here.

Just paste the text into a reply here.

Ah yes I see, of course. Thanks. Will try and get it posted as soon as I can :-)

Edited by Phoenyx

Sorry guys, another 3 characters here. Seem to be on a bit of a creative streak! (I know there will be some text errors in these!)

Will get those text uploads you suggesed of all the characters on here next :-)

2s661p3.jpg

2i1mkcw.jpg

ip48z6.jpg

Edited by Phoenyx

First of all, points for high production values :) Art is gorgeous and generally spot on.

I would think about experimenting with the floor part of your characters' pictures, because in most cases it's at a different angle and doesn't look quite right.

Wood Elf - wow, with spare gold this guy is a monster in battle.

Demon - I like it. Since you mention gods of chaos and use that picture, maybe change the name to Bloodthirster or Bloodletter?

Dark Elf - starts at cursed forest. shouldn't that be cursed glade?

- his 2nd ability seems somewhat useless since his higher strength and his dark magic ability.

First of all, points for high production values :) Art is gorgeous and generally spot on.

I would think about experimenting with the floor part of your characters' pictures, because in most cases it's at a different angle and doesn't look quite right.

Wood Elf - wow, with spare gold this guy is a monster in battle.

Demon - I like it. Since you mention gods of chaos and use that picture, maybe change the name to Bloodthirster or Bloodletter?

Dark Elf - starts at cursed forest. shouldn't that be cursed glade?

- his 2nd ability seems somewhat useless since his higher strength and his dark magic ability.

Thanks Bludgeon :-) The artwork is of course just googled images - Though I'd love to lay claim! I did spend quite some time sifting through many to find the ones I thought best fitted the character ;-)

Yes the floor they provide in TalismanIsland's template that I used doesn't quite work for every character, I should think about replacing that on some eventually ;-)

Thanks for the character design comments too, it helps a lot :-) Im glad you like some of them!

Wood Elf - This was my Legolas-like verison of replacing the standard Elf from the main game as I've heard it's not so popular and perhaps is a little un-interesting!

Demon - Funnily I called it Bloodletter/Lesser Demon to begin with. But your right, i guess there's no point in hiding the Warhammer inspired origins what with the illustration and 'chaos' references and I may as well just call it what it is!

Dark Elf - Yes it should be Cursed Glade! See whant you mean about the 2nd ability though. Your prob right as it's turned out more of a strength/battle based character in the end having started with a sort of craft hybrid idea initially. Will think of a replacement or even just a straight stat upgrade, maybe to craft or fate ;-)

Edited by Phoenyx

Ok I've modified the Dark Elf based on your thoughts Bludgeon, which I think work's much better now character-wise. Removing the 'psychic' element and altering the skills to reflect even more then Dark-Elven element ;-)

27yr8ea.jpg

Edited by Phoenyx

Two final ones! ;-)

nnmdts.jpg

21mhmi1.jpg

Frost Giant - compare him to the Troll....

Frost Giant - compare him to the Troll....

They are similar u mean? Know what u mean, but thought there'd be enough distinction with the abilities and slight stat differences :-) Could alter the stats even more though, will have to see.

Similarity is not the issue here, but the fact that Frost Giant is much more powerful.

Haha, yeah he's too over-powered! :P Yeah I was aware that would likely be the case and it would be pushing it a lot! Certainly as you say, when you compare him with the Troll which is the nearest character type it's even more obvious! Will have a look at rebalancing it - probably ether reducing the base stats but keeping the abilities or reducing the abilities and keeping the high stats. Thanks for the input ;)

Edited by Phoenyx

Made a quick re-balancing update to the Giant. May still require a little more de-powerment (might remove movement ability), but will do for now ;)

33469on.jpg

Also re-named Demon character, as per Bludgeon's suggestion ;)

2d2avk9.jpg

By the way, if anyone fancies using any of these characters or even just play-testing them let me know and I can upload full/higher res files :)

Edited by Phoenyx

Cards printed, time to start play-testing!

21293rk.jpg

Edited by Phoenyx

Playtested and made balancing changes to a few, some minor ability changing, text re-wording and nerfing on the over-powered (will re-post those soon) ;)

Also created 4 final characters left from my thoughts to complete the creative sweep (haven't playtested for balancing issues yet though - prob overpowered. Eg; Will likely drop either the tracking or archery ability from the Ranger and prob reduce the Str or Life of the Orc & Chaos Warrior to 4) :D

Ready to upload the high-res versions psd/tiff files of all characters for those who would like any. However, bit of a dumb question, but how do i do this via Dropbox?!

23k2dma.jpg

nzlts6.jpg

2m60hf5.jpg

21cuqae.jpg

Edited by Phoenyx