About to start playing - need some advice

By sa3xxx, in Mutant Chronicles

Hi! Last game session at my place my friend brought Mutant Chronicles.

When I was younger I had Warzone miniatures so I like Mutant Chronicles as well.

I'm about to start playing it :) I know that ther's some kind of starter pack and some booster packs with different clans (or whatever it is).

Is there any way how to find out which clan to collect (something like mutant chronicles wiki)?? Or it's best to collect all?

Do you find the game enjoyable only playing at home (or are the tournaments needed?)?

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers

I'd start off with the Starter Pack. It contains all you need to play (Map, Dice, Command Cards, Unit Cards, locations, tokens and units for 2 factions). So while it does contain all the essentials, the bonus is that the unit cards in the starter set are not just for the 6 you get in the set but one for each and every unit you can possibly get so you can see each unit, their abilites and essentially get a feel for every faction and how they're meant to work.

Failing that, a quick overview:

Capitol are a very United States themed mobile force. Their units are fragile but fast and well equipped and is an army that relies on synergies. They all work very well together rather than on their own and can be difficult to use at first but once mastered are probaby the toughest of the lot. On the Tourny scene, Ranger builds tended to be the most fielded and while weak in small games, Capitol get stronger the larger the game. They also come in the starter set -> 1 Ranger, 1 Free-Marine, 1 Jet Pack trooper so you get a feel for their three styles (Ranger armies, Free Marine soldiers being solid solo units who put out decent firepower and the mobile jet packs). Advanced Recon booster is great and Capitol tends to have the largest variety but all their boosters are fine and depends on the style you want to go for.

Bauhaus are a Euro-centric force full of elite strong units who are more static and long range, favouring superior firepower and have access to battlesuits. So where Capitol are fast and short-range, Bauhaus are slow and long ranged and their cards . While they aren't in the starter pack, the booster 'Vulkan's Fist' is a good start as it contains the battlesuit and two Venusian Rangers (which can be followed up by the Venusian Command Booster) while 'Order of the Bear' will give you a taste of their suppressing firepower.

Brotherhood are the last of the human factions and are themed on the Inquisition/Crusaders of old and tend to be the most complicated force. Capitol like short ranged firefights, Bauhaus long ranged but Brotherhood like to get right into the action and put the enemy to the sword. They are a close combat army with some access to ranged units (Inquisitors) but generally like to be next to the enemy. Unlike the other two forces, Brotherhood have access to psychic powers, have lots of healing units and support each other using their unique powers so while fragile, are able to keep their strength up. They are not in the starter set nor in the lost legions set and so are the easiest force to complete and best to start with 'The Book of Law' booster.

The major demon faction are Algeroth. They have some neat grunts, the close ranged Technomancers who buff other units and the long range Necromutants who start powerful and devolve down a level instead of being killed and so last a long time and can be a pain to the enemy when fielded enmass. But the power of Algeroth isn't in grunts but their monsters, namely the Ezoghouls (In the starter set along with one technomancer and one Necromutant) who are huge and close combat based and very tough to take down. They also have long ranged monsters in the Gommorian and monsters who buff your force in the Tekton Warmaster who allows you to regain command cards. Their heroes are also very powerful and very deadly and so overall it is a shock and awe army who are very tough and have a focus on close ranged.

The minor Demon Faction is Ilian who never really got released. You can get Karak who is a renegade Brotherhood member and so if you collect Brotherhood you can use them as loyal or use Karak and use them as Demon Renegades. The only other unit Ilian have is the Golem of Ice and so these tough monsters are used to complement your Renegade brotherhood army. Great force but if you want to go beyond those two choices you'll have to do some converting.

Thats a sum-up and as for Tourny games, it's best played at home, very casual and allows you to try out different choices as each force is made up of three tings (Units, Cards, Orders) and you can go for even or min max or all sorts of mixes. A lot of variety and very easy to pick up and play.

Hope that helps,

~Lord B.

Wow, I really appreciate you effort!

I played the game with my brother with borrowed started pack.

We liked the game a lot. But two new question appeared :

1.In booster packs, do you get some new maps? Or what is the way to get some new one (is there a map booster pack? :) )

2.Both are games were quite similar. We've just met in the middle of the map and start shooting. I think it is due to fact we played just with starter and without any experience (to build up some strategy). But from reading your post, I'm pretty sure, that with bigger armies (and more experience) the game become much more complex and strategic :)

Thank you a lot :)

Yeah the bigger the game the more complex it gets. 3/3/3 games just don't do it justice, I play 5/5/5 at the smallest as it gives you an idea on how the order system works properly and allows you to have a lot more flexibility. 3/3/3 just gives you a faint idea, a taste of what is to come and of course selection of units makes all the difference as you'l find all sorts of combos and develop counter strats, added more units or command cards or order tokens until you find the right amount to suit a given situation. The way I see it, the starter set is more to give you the material (Dice, Cards, Map, Unit cards) than it is to give you an effective force to play the game with. One Starter Set is good but two is better and once you start getting boosters or even using proxies you'll discover it's tactical depth.

For your other question on Maps, I've compiled the ones I know about and are as follows:

1. The Starter Set contains (as a double sided sheet):

• Map A01
  • Map A02

2. Map A03 was used as the Intro map and was included in the Lost Legions Set (no longer Available) and sometimes FFG will throw in the map when you order some stuff from them (happened to me).

3. Map Tiles (What I call A04) available to download in two parts from FFG www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp

• Maps 1a-2b
  • Maps 3a-4b

So you have 4 Official Maps A01 - A04 and these maps can be placed next to one another to form larger maps (good reason to have 2 starter sets, more command cards, more dice but more importantly a second map).

4. Unofficial Maps from mutantchronicles.mforos.com/1660168/8419032-mapas-no-oficiales/

• Venus Road Map - See Post 1
  • Venus Crator Map - See Post 4
  • Huge Mars Map - See Post 13
  • Another Venus Map - See Post 15

5. Unofficial Maps from mutantchronicles.wbl.sk/Download__Maps.html

• Venusian Map

So 5 Unofficial Maps to play around with as well. Some useful sites are:

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp
mutantchronicles.mforos.com/
www.mutantpedia.com/eng/index.htm
http://mutantchronicles.wbl.sk/

Thanks a lot :)

And, by the way, don't you live in Slovak Or Czech republic? Because one of your links is SVK/CZ webpage :)

Nah, from the Great Southern Land but language barriers these days are far easier to get by due to the prevelence of things like translation software and applications.