WFRPv3 the first RPG for dyslexia

By Daedalum, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Discovering this RPG was like coming home in a way you won't understand unless you have been impacted by dyslexia growing up.

In what might appear to the non dyslexic as unnecessary excess of parts & processes, WFRPv3 overcomes issues of short term memory, the need for haptic reinforcement and a broader language of symbols, colours, physical representations that I hit in other systems. Even simple systems like windows file system.

As a father who is realising his own history with dyslexia through watching his daughter, I can say the impact ranges from suboptimal participation in life to a deep existential alienation from mainstream culture. After 20 years of slowly parsing rules and rulebooks not built for my learning type, this was the first time an RPG made the effort.

This game showed me a lot of things beyond and bigger than just gaming. Im optimistic we can find more strategies and understanding for my daughter's learning than the negative labels and ignorance my generation put up with. Games will play no small part.

Thank you FFG and J. Little

It takes all types. And it takes all types of games.

http://dyslexiaassociation.org.au/how-is-dyslexia-evaluated

Edited by Daedalum

Thank you for sharing this unique viewpoint.

Have you found the Star Wars RPG by FFG to be similarly useful?

I have not played FFG's SW RPGs. But I understand it presents information in a more traditional approach that appeals to a larger majority of gamers.

Is it the cards (actions, talents, creatures) etc. that are helpful?

Or is it mainly the format of the books and that they use symbols and colours?

Not the books particularly. Well I can only speak for myself, in that it is in part the dispersal of information across not only playing items (cards) but also the highly graphical presentation of information. With visual reinforcement from both sets of symbols, designs and images and colour coding. Its in the kinetic requirement to manipulate the parts physically around the players. The physical representation of piles of tokens and a dice system that is colour and symbol coded, highly tactile (pools) and that keeps things numerically light. The use of multiple symbols to represent numbers. The use of number tracks. So many aspects.

Its not something particularly new to gaming as a whole, but pretty rare in RPGs. Afteral it turns out to be $$

It is in what others might consider the overdesign of the whole confluence.

Edited by Daedalum

Very happy to hear that it works well for you and you daughter. :) To be honest it isn't something which I have been aware of before but I am happy that the joy of RPGs can be spread further one with the 3e design.