Does acetone damage Descent figures?

By Zhorker, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

i accidentally used to much paint and tried to remove the paint with acetone, and now im not sure if they got/is/well be damaged. please tell if they could have taken damage.

It probably depends more or less on the figure in question. On really thin figures it probably will but on figures with more gerth it will be less noticable. The paint will most likely cover up any imperfecitons.

the figures feels alot softer...

This may or may not help, but I use hot and cold water to straighten out my minis, both Descent and D&D. The mini is much more rigid after coming out of the cold water. I submerge it or the bent part into boiling water for ~12 seconds, straighten out the bent part, then submerge the mini in ice water and let it sit in there for a couple of minutes.

z22 said:

This may or may not help, but I use hot and cold water to straighten out my minis, both Descent and D&D. The mini is much more rigid after coming out of the cold water. I submerge it or the bent part into boiling water for ~12 seconds, straighten out the bent part, then submerge the mini in ice water and let it sit in there for a couple of minutes.

I think the concern is more about the acetone melting the detail on the figures than bending them out of shape. I would expect it would damage the plastic that FFG uses to make their figures, but as Jerzy points out a new coat of paint, carefully applied, should do wonders to hide any resulting damage.

If you need to strip any other figures, I would suggest warm water and an old toothbrush to get the paint off. I haven't used this technique on this type of plastic, but it works well on the harder stuff GW minis are made of, and I don't think water will damage these figs at all ;) You might need something to get paint out of small cracks - I used an exacto knife, scraping with the sharp edge away from the model. I'd be more careful about it with this plastic though, as the knife will dig in easier. A plastic knife or plastic fork tine might also work.

Acetone will weaken, and eventually eat through plastic. Using nail polish remover / acetone is unrecommended due to the damage it will do to a plastic model. Even if you do a quick dip, and then go nuts on it with a toothbrush, the damage is pretty much done, but you wont see it until you try to repaint it.

Some people say to use Brake Fluid, but the best method I have found is to use undiluted (ie: add no water) Pine Sol bath to completely submerge the model in for a few hours, and then come back to it with a toothbrush.