New Adeptus Mechanicus PC's Rank

By PJP2810, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I'm rather new to the whole of 40k and to the RPGs. I recently joined a new DH2 campaign where (with the help of a 40k lore nerd friend for RP stuff) I made an AdMech Assassin.

During and since creation of my character, I've been unsure exactly what sort of rank he would have been. I know that in OW, you are a Tech-Priest outright, and that in DH1 there was a Ranking tree where throughout the campaign you can increase your rank and at some point become a Tech-Priest from just a Technographer, and eventually a Magos.

Looking at the requirements of certain things you can get in DH1, that you can also get in DH2, there are plenty of things that you need to be of rank "Tech-Priest" or above to get in GH1 that are readily available in DH2, and even start with from char gen (Mechadendrites for example). Additionally, it does in the Utility Mechadendrite description in DH2 refer to the character with the 'dendrite as a Tech-Priest, rather than just an AdMech. However it doesn't state anywhere specifically what constitutes a player being a Tech-Priest (or higher) or whether you are just another AdMech climbing the ranks with the hope of becoming a Priest.

This may be something that anyone with Lore knowledge can easily interpret, however since I lack that knowledge I am turning to you wonderful folks.

Is there a rules definition for what make you either a Tech-Priest or not?

No, there's no such thing in the rules. Nor do the rules define whether a character with the background 'Adeptus Arbites' is an Arbitrator, a Proctor, a Judge... It's really a fluff thing, to be handled in cooperation with your GM. I for one let my Adeptus Mechanicus player start out as a Tech-Priest from the beginning.

"Tech priest" as a prerequisite in DH1 basically meant having the Mechanicus Implants trait, following the career path, and didn't refer to the character's level.

Okay thanks both of you.

Since it's along the same vein but slightly different. With the Adeptus Sororitas, are they specifically below a certain rank until they get the Elite Advance for Sister of Battle?

To the nooby eyes of myself it seems a similar situation, but I could be way off as I don't know enough of the lore. From what I'm aware they are kind of the same sort of thing. A notable ranking within their own Adeptus _______ that is generally something an initiate would aim to become.

Feel free to correct me on if this is correct or not.

Well, as far as I know the DH 2 rules never make explicit reference to a character's rank, membership, or whatever. But yes, I think it would definitely make sense to say that the Battle Sister Elite Advance coincides with a fluff promotion for the character.

It is assumed in DH2 you had a "life" of sorts before the Inquisition stole you away LOL