Wording: May resolve

By john_nld, in Star Wars: Destiny

So as a non native speaker it's always a bit fuzzie what the keywords mean.

The rules state:

You may resolve any number of dice in your pool That have the same Symbol, one at a time.

Does that mean If I have 3 focus that I can use 2 and leave the third as it is?

So intentionally stalling resolution is part of the strategy (do not know how that would benefit just yet)

That is exactly how I understand it. Any number is >= 0

I would say >=1 because 0 would mean pass and by saying I am resolving 0 die you bypass the pass (what?!?!)

In the demos at gencon if you chose to resolve any one symbol, you had to resolve all the dice showing that symbol that were active in your pool. So given your example if you had 3 focus and chose to resolve focus then you had to resolve all 3. This could have changed but that is how they taught it at gencon.

In the demos at gencon if you chose to resolve any one symbol, you had to resolve all the dice showing that symbol that were active in your pool. So given your example if you had 3 focus and chose to resolve focus then you had to resolve all 3. This could have changed but that is how they taught it at gencon.

Based on the way the rules are worded, and other mistakes we've seen in the demo videos from Gencon, they were teaching it wrong.

Edited by netherspirit

I think you can resolve any number but you have to declare how many before you start resolving.

If you have 3 specials you can't resolve one, see the outcome then resolve the second, waiting for the outcome before deciding if your doing the third. You'd have to declare"I'm resolving these 2 specials" then start resolving one at a time.

That's how I understand it.

And the modified dice are added to like symbols and resolved together, they are the exception to one at a time.

Based on the way the rules are worded, and other mistakes we've seen in the demo videos from Gencon, they were teaching it wrong.

Perhaps but I got 4 demos and watched 6 most from different demo volunteers. they were pretty consistent on this rule in the games I saw.

Edited by Darksbane

I would say >=1 because 0 would mean pass and by saying I am resolving 0 die you bypass the pass (what?!?!)

I suppose there could be cards with an effect that apply to any number of dice. In that case, I suppose that choosing 0 as a number is a valid choice. For example reroll any number of dice and deal 1 damage. You could choose to reroll 0 die and deal 1 damage.

I think you can resolve any number but you have to declare how many before you start resolving.

If you have 3 specials you can't resolve one, see the outcome then resolve the second, waiting for the outcome before deciding if your doing the third. You'd have to declare"I'm resolving these 2 specials" then start resolving one at a time.

And the modified dice are added to like symbols and resolved together, they are the exception to one at a time.

This is interesting because the rules specifically state " You may resolve any number of dice in your pool that have the same symbol , one at a time. After you resolve a die, it returns to the card that it came from." It doesn't say anything about declaring how many of that symbol you plan on resolving. So as your action you just have to say I'm going to resolve the special symbol on my dice and then start resolving them one at a time. Stopping whenever you choose.

Not to be an ass but where in the rules leaflet are your getting " You'd have to declare"I'm resolving these 2 specials" then start resolving one at a time."?

Someone else posted this link which has the rules transcribed in a much easier to read format: http://swdestinywiki.viluppo.net/

Edited by Tromsicle

I suppose there could be cards with an effect that apply to any number of dice. In that case, I suppose that choosing 0 as a number is a valid choice. For example reroll any number of dice and deal 1 damage. You could choose to reroll 0 die and deal 1 damage.

Yes but as an action resolving 0 die would mean a pass right. What would be the p[oint of doing nothing but not passing your action.

This is interesting because the rules specifically state " You may resolve any number of dice in your pool [/size] that have the same symbol , one at a time. After you resolve a die, it returns to the card that it came from." It doesn't say anything about declaring how many of that symbol you plan on resolving. So as your action you just have to say I'm going to resolve the special symbol on my dice and then start resolving them one at a time. Stopping whenever you choose.

Not to be an ass but where in the rules leaflet are your getting " You'd have to declare"I'm resolving these 2 specials" then start resolving one at a time."?

Someone else posted this link which has the rules transcribed in a much easier to read format: http://swdestinywiki.viluppo.net/

No worries, you are likely right. I just thought you'd have to declare your intention. That does make multiple more interesting. Do you have to declare one target, or with multiple dice can you declare a target per die?

We have learned since the gencon event that you may resolve any number of dice means any number. The people at gencon had gotten a primer an hour or so before the event actually happened. So there were mistakes taught incorrectly across the board. At this point in time, if you have 5 dice with melee damage you may resolve 0-5 of them with an action. Why you would resolve 0 is strange, but an option. It is not a pass, which is good (so the opponent can't pass as well and end the turn) but you don't HAVE to resolve all 5 dice together.

We have learned since the gencon event that you may resolve any number of dice means any number. The people at gencon had gotten a primer an hour or so before the event actually happened. So there were mistakes taught incorrectly across the board. At this point in time, if you have 5 dice with melee damage you may resolve 0-5 of them with an action. Why you would resolve 0 is strange, but an option. It is not a pass, which is good (so the opponent can't pass as well and end the turn) but you don't HAVE to resolve all 5 dice together.

I don't know why you would ever intentionally pass as long as you have at least 1 dice given this, but okay, good to know.

You either want the round to continue because you have more to do, or you don't. If you don't, just claim the battlefield and let your opponent go wild. If you do, then always "pass" by resolving 0 dice.

Fun fact: Stalemate now possible. Great!

If this is true, I expect it will be changed to say you have to resolve at least 1 die if you choose to "resolve dice".

IMO taking the resolve melee damage action and resolving 0 dice seems like rules lawyer nonsense that we will have to wait for the formal RRG or FAQ to clarify. I will be shocked if this is an intended game mechanic.

This is interesting because the rules specifically state " You may resolve any number of dice in your pool [/size] that have the same symbol , one at a time. After you resolve a die, it returns to the card that it came from." It doesn't say anything about declaring how many of that symbol you plan on resolving. So as your action you just have to say I'm going to resolve the special symbol on my dice and then start resolving them one at a time. Stopping whenever you choose.

Not to be an ass but where in the rules leaflet are your getting "You'd have to declare"I'm resolving these 2 specials" then start resolving one at a time."?

No worries, you are likely right. I just thought you'd have to declare your intention. That does make multiple more interesting. Do you have to declare one target, or with multiple dice can you declare a target per die?

It seems people have been playing that you have to resolve all of your dice on the same target, and that's how i've been playing on table top simulator. When I read the rules we have so far it only says " Damage from a die, or a die resolved with modifies, must be dealt to a single character. When a character is dealt damage, track that damage using damage tokens...." So since we are resolving each die individually I don't see why you can't target a different character with each die.

It seems people have been playing that you have to resolve all of your dice on the same target, and that's how i've been playing on table top simulator. When I read the rules we have so far it only says " Damage from a die, or a die resolved with modifies, must be dealt to a single character. When a character is dealt damage, track that damage using damage tokens...." So since we are resolving each die individually I don't see why you can't target a different character with each die.

When you resolve damage dice, you have to target 1 character. The reason you resolve each die separately is because of how effects trigger when damage is dealt. Dooku is the prime example, when he is dealt damage from a single source he may pitch a card to gain 1 shield. This means if you resolve 4 dice with 1 damage per die, he can pitch 4 cards and take 0 damage. So you cannot resolve 5 dice and split them among multiple characters.

When you resolve damage dice, you have to target 1 character. The reason you resolve each die separately is because of how effects trigger when damage is dealt. Dooku is the prime example, when he is dealt damage from a single source he may pitch a card to gain 1 shield. This means if you resolve 4 dice with 1 damage per die, he can pitch 4 cards and take 0 damage. So you cannot resolve 5 dice and split them among multiple characters.

Right, I've taken another look and i'm guessing this is where this ruling is coming from. The dice symbol for melee says Deal that much damage to any character. So for this melee action all damage must be dealt to one character, and as you mention each dice trigger individually. Same goes for range.

But special doesn't say anything about targeting a single character so as an example if you have two mind probe specials can you resolve them on different targets?

Edited by Tromsicle

Right, I've taken another look and i'm guessing this is where this ruling is coming from. The dice symbol for melee says Deal that much damage to any character. So for this melee action all damage must be dealt to one character, and as you mention each dice trigger individually. Same goes for range. [/size]

But special doesn't say anything about targeting a single character so as an example if you have two mind probe specials can you resolve them on different targets? [/size]

I was under the impression that because you are resolving multiple dice each one could have a different target. The exception being modified dice which would have to deal damage to the same character as the regular damage die being resolved. This also means that if you had a single 3 melee damage die you wouldn't be able to split the damage 2 and 1. All 3 damage would go to one character.

IMO taking the resolve melee damage action and resolving 0 dice seems like rules lawyer nonsense that we will have to wait for the formal RRG or FAQ to clarify. I will be shocked if this is an intended game mechanic.

They pretty much have to cover it somewhere or:

Player 1: "I resolve dice, choose to resolve 0, your action"

Player 2: "Okay, I resolve dice, choose to resolve 0, your action"

Player 1: "Okay, I resolve dice, choose to resolve 0, your action"

Is a thing that would happen.

So I am guessing you can't choose 0 =)

I do not believe thus statement to be correct. The rules do not seem to restrict you to one target when resolving a group of dice. They would not allow you to split the damage from a 2R, or a 1R and +2R, but if you had a 1R and 2R you could certainly resolve one against a character and the other against a different character.

This was something I noticed being taught at Gencon that I could not find within the rules, so I spoke to the designer on hand Corey and he each dice resolves individually so each individual dice can be resolved against different targets, modifiers being the exception.

It seems people have been playing that you have to resolve all of your dice on the same target, and that's how i've been playing on table top simulator. When I read the rules we have so far it only says "Damage from a die, or a die resolved with modifies, must be dealt to a single character. When a character is dealt damage, track that damage using damage tokens...." So since we are resolving each die individually I don't see why you can't target a different character with each die.

I do not believe thus statement to be correct. The rules do not seem to restrict you to one target when resolving a group of dice. They would not allow you to split the damage from a 2R, or a 1R and +2R, but if you had a 1R and 2R you could certainly resolve one against a character and the other against a different character.

This was something I noticed being taught at Gencon that I could not find within the rules, so I spoke to the designer on hand Corey and he each dice resolves individually so each individual dice can be resolved against different targets, modifiers being the exception.

Very interesting. And if I'm wrong thats cool. I'd feel like splitting dice is WAY better so i hope thats the case.

Per the rules:

You may resolve any number of dice in your pool that have the same symbol, one at a time.

After you resolve a die it returns to the card that it came from.

Damage from a die or a die resolved with modifiers must be dealt to a single character.

Thus, you can resolve 0 or more die with the same type and assign each die (or a die and its modifiers together) to one or more characters. This also means that you must resolve the ENTIRE die (that is, if you roll 3 focus you can't spend 1 and bank two).

Edited by tropoFarmer

It seems people have been playing that you have to resolve all of your dice on the same target, and that's how i've been playing on table top simulator. When I read the rules we have so far it only says "Damage from a die, or a die resolved with modifies, must be dealt to a single character. When a character is dealt damage, track that damage using damage tokens...." So since we are resolving each die individually I don't see why you can't target a different character with each die.

Very interesting. And if I'm wrong thats cool. I'd feel like splitting dice is WAY better so i hope thats the case.

He is correct. From the rules:

"Damage from a die, or a die resolved with modified dice, must be dealt to a single character."

That is the only stipulation. No where does it say that all of your dice damage a single character. Resolve one at a time, choosing which character that die damages.

And as a guy that ran demos at GenCon for FFG (not of Destiny, but other games), I can confirm that we are just contractors. Generally we are told what game they want us to demo ahead of time (GenCon had a very specific schedule) and it is up to the contractor to familiarize themselves with the game and the rules utilizing the same rules documents that come with the game. For GenCon, they did make some last minute adjustments, so I don't know when the people running Destiny found out they were running Destiny. It wouldn't surprise me if they got the 1-2 hours before the show opened on Thursday to learn the game. Obviously a game that is unreleased isn't going to be floating around the convention after hours.

I got the opportunity to run Destiny demos at an event after GenCon. I got some time with actual starters to familiarize myself with the game for a few hours the day of the event, but that was it. Anyway, my only point is that not all the contractors are 100% on things and there is potential for things to be misunderstood or incorrectly explained at these demos. They generally don't have any insider knowledge.

Cool, i like that way better!

Per the rules:

You may resolve any number of dice in your pool that have the same symbol, one at a time.

After you resolve a die it returns to the card that it came from.

Damage from a die or a die resolved with modifiers must be dealt to a single character.

Thus, you can resolve 0 or more die with the same type and assign each die (or a die and its modifiers together) to one or more characters. This also means that you must resolve the ENTIRE die (that is, if you roll 3 focus you can't spend 1 and bank two).

Actually the wording says any nummer of dice. So using 2 of the 3 focus should be fine. right? Any means Just that, any, so "banking" is legal. some where a long the release I think this must be clarified. However

HOW often would you not resolve e them all. COSTING an extra action but a focus still available After some one claimed the battlefield might be huge

Anyway I think a leaflet is not enough for the complex timing and tactics this game brings to the table