Randomized"draft packs"? Did this LCG just turn into a CCG?

By Arttemis, in General Discussion

The soon to be released Star Wars Destiny is completely CCG, and now they release randomized packs for their LCG...

Is this not clearly the result is the publisher buyout?

The randomized packs you're so apprehensive of are repackaged versions of previously released cards.

You clearly don't know what a draft is. And they had these for Netrunner and AGoT LCG 1.0 too.

Edited by Toqtamish

This is painful.

Just to clarify, because the posts haven't been all that helpful to date:

The new draft starter pack is not randomized, and is required to play the draft format (think of it like the titles are required to play melee).
The randomized draft packs, with very few exceptions (all of which are usable only in the draft format) are repackaging of cards that already exist in the LCG (or will very soon be released), printed in-house (lower printing and cardstock quality).

There is no 'rare chasing', no aspect of the joust or melee game that you're missing out on if you don't buy draft packs. The few cards that haven't been released yet aren't legal for competitive play until they are released in the fixed distribution format. They simply allow you to play a draft format, were you build your deck on the fly with your draft-mates, then pit those decks against one another. It's a very fun format, and one the fixed distribution packs just doesn't allow for.

I'm very excited to play the draft format. It worked well in first edition, when they first launched it (and Netrunner has it as well), and the agendas they've spoiled for draft use look like they've got a good handle on what it takes to make it work and fun in 2nd edition.

Edited by -Istaril

And why are these not alt-art or full bleed? What is the point of having all these extra cards? I love draft, but I won't be picking this up.

And why are these not alt-art or full bleed? What is the point of having all these extra cards? I love draft, but I won't be picking this up.

So that people aren't out chasing rare alt arts and full bleeds as if the LCG were a CCG, which is exactly the misguided complaint of the first post.

So that people aren't out chasing rare alt arts and full bleeds as if the LCG were a CCG, which is exactly the misguided complaint of the first post.

Provided it provided only different art, I'd be 100% ok with this. I would urge them (and have urged them) to do this - I imagine, especially considering how quickly this was released following the game (a year old) that it's mostly a question of the additional resources that would take.

You clearly don't know what a draft is. And they had these for Netrunner and AGoT LCG 1.0 too.

I've played plenty of drafts, but they were all from CCGs where everything about the games were always randomized. I've never played Netrunner or GoT 1.0.

I read the article and saw things such as:

"Discovering these entirely new cards and the best ways to use them is just another reason that you may choose to start playing draft games of A Game of Thrones: The Card Game.

Finally, the Valyrian draft set has been liberally seeded with cards from the War of Five Kings cycle , such as Ser Edmure Tully (For Family Honor, 41). By playing draft games, you not only get a sneak peek at these upcoming cards , you get the chance to play with them and discover their power before they’re officially released."

When I saw "entirely new cards", it sounded like unique additions to only the draft sets. My thoughts were that this was a mixture of unique draft cards, existing cards, and upcoming cards from other cycles.

I'm glad it's not.

Just to clarify, because the posts haven't been all that helpful to date:

The new draft starter pack is not randomized, and is required to play the draft format (think of it like the titles are required to play melee).

The randomized draft packs, with very few exceptions (all of which are usable only in the draft format) are repackaging of cards that already exist in the LCG (or will very soon be released), printed in-house (lower printing and cardstock quality).

There is no 'rare chasing', no aspect of the joust or melee game that you're missing out on if you don't buy draft packs. The few cards that haven't been released yet aren't legal for competitive play until they are released in the fixed distribution format. They simply allow you to play a draft format, were you build your deck on the fly with your draft-mates, then pit those decks against one another. It's a very fun format, and one the fixed distribution packs just doesn't allow for.

I'm very excited to play the draft format. It worked well in first edition, when they first launched it (and Netrunner has it as well), and the agendas they've spoiled for draft use look like they've got a good handle on what it takes to make it work and fun in 2nd edition.

I legitimately thank you for taking to the time to explain the situation.

This is painful.

Thanks for helping to clarify the situation.

Edited by Arttemis

There are new cards, but you're not allowed to use them outside the draft play. In fact, there is a lot of new cards.

And often cards are released early in Draft packs, but are not tournament legal until their actual Chapter Pack comes out.