Ambition Among the Tau?

By venkelos, in Only War

There aren't usually Tau in Only War.

Well, I'm posting here, anyway, partly because I want to see some action on this forum, partly because, as the lines go, this one is the most "army battle simulator" like, while the Tau often mobilize as an official military force, rather than a ragtag group of misfits, and partly because, I like to think, plenty of the people on each of these forums know about 40K; also, people on the RT forum might be getting tired of hearing me ask things about the Tau, since they aren't usually there, either. ;)

As a race, I get that the Tau are VERY ambitious; in a way much like Humanity's, they seek to conquer most of the known galaxy, and bring the blessings of their Greater Good to everyone, and against an outside race, they make a fine bulwark, but what about within their numbers? Would the Tau have individuals gunning for each other's posts? I know you don't just get promoted for doing well, and/or to replace lost superiors (there's a test you take, after five years in your current rank, or something). They seem to be very orderly, and advance in a predetermined progression, so I'm not sure how far they can, or would, push their own, individual interests.

In Rogue Trader, I started a story, that was meant to become a game, following Warpstorm, probably, but never got people to want to play 40K, so the story grew in my head, and now there is a force of Tau, trying to conquer the Koronus Expanse, with the main cast, who would've been a group of players, comprising a Rogue Trader, and their coterie, trying to fight them, with occasional aide from the Navy. They are primarily a space force, as can befit Rogue Trader, so they are led by an Ethereal, of course, and an Admiral (Kor'O), rather than a Commander (Shas'O), and they have a decent toehold in the sector. They do need ground forces, though, and their leader on that front is Commander Skypiercer. Shas’O Vior'la Che'lal Nem Shan Kais is more akin to Shadowsun, however, and even more stealth-oriented, so she often leaves her force, to reconnoiter solo, and gather intelligence, before calling in air strikes, or bombardments, from orbit, and then sending back orders to her ground forces, and I imagine she'd have some Shas'El receiving these orders. She's a bit unorthodox, and this can cause murmurs of discontent among the Tau. So, what I'm wondering, would it be entirely out of place for this junior officer to maybe try and sabotage his superior, to aide his own advancement, or would their indoctrination, and service to the Greater Good curtail that? I don't want to imagine such arrogant ambition is only a "human trait", when evolution demands some selfish behavior, but the Tau sort of direct their own evolution, as a species, or the Ethereals do, at least, and gladly sacrifice the self for the community, seemingly. It would help, though, as the Tau have a full military presence, which the players, or the cast, being Rogue Traders, might not have, so any advantage to exploit could be good, if it fits.

Thoughts? Would the Tau just be a well-oiled, honest machine, or might their be machinations among them, as individuals still strive to get ahead, to better serve the Greater Good in the way they see it? Thanks much!

"or would their indoctrination, and service to the Greater Good curtail that?"

Kinda sorta? The Tau seem to view individualism in a very negative light. While I doubt indoctrination is perfect (just look at Farsight and his cadre, renegades are not an unknown thing to the Tau), the average Tau probably isn't going to pursue personal gain at the expense of the Greater Good. Nothing stopped you as a GM from making one that shifts from the norm though, just as a player, were I in your campaign I'd probably need you to drop hints that this particular Tau is unusually self-serving for the species.