Redirect

By LadyLionwrath, in Rules Questions

Hi, I've been reading Rules and references about the option to redirect a challenge in Melee game (The Crown Regent title card). The third paragraph under Redirect (p.17) says:

The challenge is still considered to have been initiated against the original opponent, but it resolves against the new opponent.

I don't understand why it's important against who the challenge has been initiated. Would the original opponent be considered the losing opponent when applying the card abilities like Ice or We do not sow? It seems unlikely to me, but I can't think of any other significance that sentence would have otherwise. Am I missing something?

It overrides the Support structure that would normally prevent an attack from being declared against a particular player. Also some card specific abilities may trigger off of having a challenge initiated against a player. As far as Ice and We Do Not Sow, those would be part of the challenge resolution, so the answer to that is the sentence you quoted.

Edited by Grimwalker

Do you have to declare stealth before the challenge is redirected, or can you still stealth after redirecting?

Edited by jokerkd

Thanks, Grimwalker.

jokerkd: You can pick new stealth targets after the challenge has been redirected.

Technically the answer is both. You pick stealth targets as part of initiation, but the rules for the redirect specifically give you the opportunity to re-pick them when the redirect happen.