Overlord Deck (Campaign Questions)

By Chirisophus, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Is the overlord required to use all additional cards for the base overlord deck (i.e. not treachery cards) from the various expansions? There is a difference of 35 (no expansion cards) to 48 (all expansion cards). I own all expansions so I have all 48 in the base deck but that gives the heroes an extra 7 turns before I get conquest in a dungeon. Nor do I think all of the additional cards are useful. I am assuming there would be no objection to taking out cards from a certain set, as an overlord without that set has an advantage over an overlord with ( only in terms of number of cards to go through). Also this could beg the question why not keep base overlord deck at 35 cards and substitute in regular cards from the expansion for the same type of card from the base deck (i.e. event for event, etc.) while keeping deck size to 35 cards. I am guessing most people will suggest this is too much of an advantage for the overlord but I was curious as to what people thought both about out all expansion cards from the base deck and/or substituting them in while keeping deck size 35. Any thoughts?

7 turns? How many heroes are you using? If there are 4, that's 3 turns...

I like the additional cards. Most of them are base-spawn cards for the new monsters in the expansions. But some are pretty nifty, like Danger (10 threat) and don't mind the added cards. I guess you could house-rule it so you could cherry pick the additional cards, but I'd just leave it as is...

-shnar

If you're removing the additional cards, you should remove the entire set they came from: monsters, treachery, heroes, skills, etc. The heroes don't get the option to thin their decks of things they don't want, so the Overlord shouldn't either.