SoB: Swimming back onto boats and cannon questions

By kohlberg, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

In any sea encounter, after a figure has entered the water(such as missing a rope swing or knockback from a cannon), is there any way for the figure to get back onto a boat? If so, how?

Also, how does one determine the trait dice for heroes using cannons? Using only the trait dice of that hero for that particular attack type(Tobin using hawkeye cannons would only get 3 black, and none for coldfire)?

Finally, do any hero abilities/skills/equipment affect attacks made with cannons? Examples such as Tobin the Farslayer's ability, Inner Fire(skill), and Gauntlets of Power(equipment)?

In any sea encounter, after a figure has entered the water(such as missing a rope swing or knockback from a cannon), is there any way for the figure to get back onto a boat? If so, how?

They move onto it from in the water, spending 1 movement point to do so. Be sure to see if they're crossing a railing or not, as that changes the movement cost.

Also, how does one determine the trait dice for heroes using cannons? Using only the trait dice of that hero for that particular attack type(Tobin using hawkeye cannons would only get 3 black, and none for coldfire)?

Correct.

Finally, do any hero abilities/skills/equipment affect attacks made with cannons? Examples such as Tobin the Farslayer's ability, Inner Fire(skill), and Gauntlets of Power(equipment)?

A cannon shot is an attack of the type listed on the cannon. If you've got an ability that affects a certain type of attack, it'll help with that kind of cannon.

Yeah, seems counter-intuitive that it's just 1MP to move from the ocean into the boat, and apparently can be done from any point on the boat. I could thought there'd be special "entry" points onto a boat (like rope ladders or something), but there you have it :)

-shnar

Cannons are somewhat broken though when you add creature abilites to them. For instance, there is one green enounter with a ship with a master beastman and beastman, and 2 coldiron cannons. A master beastman with his bonus does white + 2 black +4, for 7 damage, and the other beastman does 6 damage, for 13 damage a round. The revenge had 25 hp, so in 2 rounds it can be destroyed, so if the heroes are ambushed they will only get 1 turn before losing the revenge. I can't see that as being intended for a green encounter.

shnar said:

Yeah, seems counter-intuitive that it's just 1MP to move from the ocean into the boat, and apparently can be done from any point on the boat. I could thought there'd be special "entry" points onto a boat (like rope ladders or something), but there you have it :)

-shnar

It depends where you're climbing up. If you go over a railing, it's 2 movement points.

Thanks a ton, that'll clear up some finer points of the game.

@Badend: I agree; that's overpowered and from a lore perspective, doesn't make sense. Why should raving mongrels get the +damage bonuses to something that requires skill, not just ferocity? May have to just house-rule it as we go.