Gaining Conquest

By rgrove0172, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Is there a reference sheet anywhere that breaks down when the Overlord and Players earn Conquest?

Im playing my first game of RTL solo to get the hang of it and I find myself browsing the rules quite a bit trying to determine when and how much Conquest to hand out.

Thanks

I haven't seen one, but if it exists, boardgamegeeek.com's RtL section will have it.

There was a good summary sheet that I've printed out, has all the different "boxes" from the rules on one page. Universal might have one as well (haven't looked).

But it's pretty simple:
- OL gains 1 Conquest + 1 per raized town at the beginning of the week
- OL gains Conquest for killing heroes

That's it for the OL.

- Heroes gain 1 Conquest for first "exploring" a dungeon
- Heroes gain 3 Conquest for activating town glyphs
- Heroes gain 1 Conquest for a treasure chest that has no treasure cards in it (i.e. no blanks rolled)|
- Heroes gain 2 Conquest for each Dungeon Level Leader they kill.
- Heroes gain a bonus 2 Conquest for the last Dungeon Level Leader they kill (i.e. 4CP)
- Heroes gain 2 Conquest for killing an Encounter Leader
- Heroes gain 4 Conquest for killing a Lieutenant

I do believe that's it.

-shnar

Doesn't the overlord gain conquest tokens for burning through his deck in RtL/SoB games?

He does, one item I forgot. 3CPs for cycling through his deck (it just happens so rare that I plum forgot about it).

-shnar

Check this out on page 21 of SoB:

Running Out of Time
If the heroes take too long while exploring a dungeon, they may
run out of time and be forced to flee. If the overlord ever
depletes his Overlord deck twice on the same level (receiving
three conquest tokens each time), the heroes are immediately
expelled from the dungeon as though they had fled the dungeon.

Not that the heroes intentionally take too long, but I did burn thru my deck once, and I am guessing they added this to add a little more time pressure to the game, each dungeon has roughly 40-42 turns before it's over.

That's them actually adding something that's been in the FAQ for about a year now. Originally it was if the OL went through his deck three times for the entire dungeon, not a level. They changed it to twice a level, which I think adds a sense of urgency for the 2nd/3rd levels if the heroes come in looking at a deck that only has 4 cards in it because they took their time on the first level.

It actually balances out as well the larger dungeons (i.e. Legendary Dungeons). It's easier to get through 3 cycles in 4 levels than 3 levels. Honestly though, I've yet to see the deck cycled twice, and it's really rare that it cycles even once (usually only happens on those Legendary Dungeons)...

-shnar

I wonder though, say the party takes their sweet time on the island level and the overlord has only one card left to draw when they decend to level 2, the next turn they start the level and bam, that's 3 conquest points for the OL and in 18~22 turns (depending on how many card have been removed from the Overlord Deck via treachery or upgrades) you could force the heroes to flee. Am I reading that right?

Fizz said:

I wonder though, say the party takes their sweet time on the island level and the overlord has only one card left to draw when they decend to level 2, the next turn they start the level and bam, that's 3 conquest points for the OL and in 18~22 turns (depending on how many card have been removed from the Overlord Deck via treachery or upgrades) you could force the heroes to flee. Am I reading that right?

Yes, there is no specification that you have to cycle through a full deck twice on a level, only that you cycle.

And honestly, even though this is in the FAQ, the point of this rule is to keep the heroes from just staying in a dungeon until the OL+Hero CP > 600, then the heroes fleeing. I wouldn't force the heroes out of a dungeon if they took too long, as long as they were honestly advancing and continuing to push ahead (if the heroes are taking that long anyways, then they're probably giving good CPs to the Overlord :P ).

So, heroes abusing the CP system, then they get booted. Heroes just plodding forward but for some reason are slow, eh, who cares if the OL cycles the deck 10 times, let them keep going...

-shnar

I kinda figure it was there as a method to make the heroes "throw in the towel" so the Overlord can't steamroller them into hummus just because the players decide they want to take an insanely long time. Besides, arent there a finite number of Conquest Points the players can earn in a dungeon, whereas the OL can just keep thwacking them over the head for a seemingly limitless amount?

It's not the amount of conquest that's a problem, it's how long the OL has to spend it. If the heroes get to a spot where they're comfortable with their status, and then bump the conquest to 600 by standing around and doing nothing, the overlord's plot is shut down and he only gets one chance to buy himself an upgrade for the final battle.