common error

By wormiespice, in Star Wars: Destiny

it is one die and 2/3/4 dice and not dices as dice is the plural .

thanks for the lesson. I am dutch and I thought I had it all backwards but I am glad I was right. Unless the above statement is wrong then I was wrong as well. where are the english teachers when you need them?

Yup :)

Edited by JediGeekGirl

thanks for the lesson. I am dutch and I thought I had it all backwards but I am glad I was right. Unless the above statement is wrong then I was wrong as well. where are the english teachers when you need them?

Wouldn't worry about it much, I've been speaking English my whole life and it still gives me headaches sometimes. So many rules and so many ways to break them.

The Macquarie Dictionary (That's the Australian Dictionary) says with regards to dice:

Usage: The singular form die is now rarely used. Dice is the usual form for both the plural and the singular.

So, being Australian, I may use the word dice to mean the singular too.

I am surprised that the US Dictionary (I get confused as to which one to use as there is a choice isn't there?) is still defining dice/die from some time prior to the 1970's where the word dice was becoming the singular form for die by common usage or perhaps Wormspice needs a new dictionary as his one is a bit out of date? :ph34r: :lol:

The Oxford Dictionary has this common usage change: Here

Keep in mind that I also spell colour, favour and honour a bit strangely. In addition to the toilet swirling the other way. :D

@john_nld - You are safe and go with dice for any number, if any one complains just tell 'em you are writing in Australian (or Aussie if you like) and you'll be fine. :rolleyes:

Oxford English Dictionary (the definitive dictionary) also uses 'die' as the singular.

They also spell words the cool way - colour, honour, grey.