First play through post game questions

By Chris51261, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Hey all! Was just hoping to clear up some questions that nagged me and my partner after our first play through. Most confusion came from the final battle. First, what happens if an investigator is downed when entering the final battle? Does he still participate? Secondly, the rules state you can trade items as if you're in the same location, but what about casting spells on one another? Is that fair game, does it only work if you wind up at the same location entering the final battle, or not at all? Thanks in advance!

I apologize for the lengthy answer. I try to cover some expansion components, just in case.

1. An investigator who is knocked unconscious or driven insane (or devoured) by the AO's awakening ability is out and will not participate. However, he still counts towards the number of successes required to remove a doom token when attacking the AO.

1a. If by "downed" you mean "delayed" then yes, his participation is unaffected.

2. Everybody is considered to be in the same place. So if you happen to have a spell that actually affects other investigators "in your area" ( Heal , Cloud Memory ), they can be cast. I worry about how these spells interact with investigator healing/defense abilities (Carolyn Fern, Michael McGlen, Vincent Lee, Harvey Walters, Daisy Walker) and the skill that lets you auto-cast spells ( Ancient Language ), since under certain circumstances you're immune from losing the battle.

Also, consequently, the Paranoia madness card will sap your investigator's sanity every round that at least one other investigator is alive. I'm not sure what to say about Xenophobia , Agoraphobia , and Claustrophobia , however. I think these three do not activate.

What I'm unsure about is Call Down The Storm . You're in the same space, but "neighborhoods" no longer exist. I'm inclined to say it works, since it makes thematic sense, and it doesn't specify use against a "monster" (as opposed to an AO).

Edited by Tibs

Forget answers to questions, I feel compelled to just say how warmed my heart is that there are people still discovering this game, playing it for the first time, and get to go through the excitement of exploring the city of Arkham and its Other Worlds, fighting its grotesque monsters and evil Ancient Ones, and being filled with giddiness as they purchase and open new expansions! Every time I see this game or the expansions in a game store, I remember how excited I was as I became a gun wielding private investigator or axe swinging politician and simply envy those who get to experience that anew. I find myself both jealous and overjoyed that someone now gets to experience that.....that is assuming they enjoy the game and pursue it further. Okay, romanticized soliloquy is over.

Forget answers to questions, I feel compelled to just say how warmed my heart is that there are people still discovering this game, playing it for the first time, and get to go through the excitement of exploring the city of Arkham and its Other Worlds, fighting its grotesque monsters and evil Ancient Ones, and being filled with giddiness as they purchase and open new expansions! Every time I see this game or the expansions in a game store, I remember how excited I was as I became a gun wielding private investigator or axe swinging politician and simply envy those who get to experience that anew. I find myself both jealous and overjoyed that someone now gets to experience that.....that is assuming they enjoy the game and pursue it further. Okay, romanticized soliloquy is over.

That's why Arkham Horror is not only a good game, but a classic, and all HPL-themed games FFG releases are under the common flag "Arkham Files". Arkham might be old, might be overbloated, but remains a game that changed the industry forever, and it's still able to entertain despite the old age

That's why Arkham Horror is not only a good game, but a classic, and all HPL-themed games FFG releases are under the common flag "Arkham Files". Arkham might be old, might be overbloated, but remains a game that changed the industry forever, and it's still able to entertain despite the old age

Couldn't agree more. Arkham Horror is not a perfect game. But it did get a lot of things right. And I mean a LOT.