Jabba's realm vs. Hoth content-wise

By ricope, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Not sure if this works but they posted a map from Jabba's on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLbu36zgsDv/?taken-by=fantasyflightgames

I recognize a few tiles there.

I noticed 3 new tiles, but they look like fun ones!

Which ones. I thought I'd seen all of these. Are the stairs new?

Not sure if this works but they posted a map from Jabba's on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLbu36zgsDv/?taken-by=fantasyflightgames

I recognize a few tiles there.

I noticed 3 new tiles, but they look like fun ones!

Which ones. I thought I'd seen all of these. Are the stairs new?

The stairs, the hallway with 4 doorways that is adjacent to the stairs, and the big forest tile with the lake.

Who knows when the app for campaign becomes available if there will be a random mission generator that will have the ability to mix one or all current tiles.

Future will tell :-)

~D

We have desert, forest and snow on Earth... the planet all of Star Wars was shot on. Hoping to different planets is just a way of saying, "hey look, I'm not ripping off Kurosawa!"

But he always admitted, that he was ripping off Kurosawa. A New Hope IS The Hidden Fortress (Death Star). The true protagonists are R2-D2 and C-3PO (Tahei and Matashichi).

Someone should have mentioned that to JJ. Instead we get some Mary Sue garbage and the real hero and his buddy with the red arm are sidelined until the end.

Yes, indeed. A new hope starts with the true heroes, Episode III ends with them. 3PO has the first line of the first trilogy and the last line of the second trilogy.

Star Wars is the first Hollywood movie (series), that is not filmed in chronological order, that doesn't primaryly follows the "big" heroes, that has parallel storytelling (especially the end of Episode VI - Emperor's throne room, battle on Endor, battle in space), etc..

Star Wars Episode IV to VI are an educational example for many storytelling concepts never seen in Hollywood before. (Not even mentioning the revolution of special effects.)

Yes, someone should have mentioned that to JJ. (By the way, I still like Episode VII more than I to III.)

That's an awful like of George Lucas worship you have going on there.

Don't think so.

1. George Lucas didn't write Episode V to VI.

2. Some of the great parts of Episode IV to VI have been changed by Lucas afterwards (Han shot, Greedo not!).

3. Lucas did copy most of the great storytelling from Kurosawa, not even understanding the inner greatness thereof.

4. Lucas must have had some kind of hard hit to his head somewhere in the eighties. Everything he did after Episode VI and Indiana Jones 3 sucks.

5. Lucas still believes, that special effects are more important than storytelling.

Edited by DerBaer

2. Some of the great parts of Episode IV to VI have been changed by Lucas afterwards (Han shot, Greedo not!).

3. Lucas did copy most of the great storytelling from Kurosawa, not even understanding the inner greatness thereof.

4. Lucas must have had some kind of hard hit to his head somewhere in the eighties. Everything he did after Episode VI and Indiana Jones 3 sucks.

5. Lucas still believes, that special effects are more important than storytelling.

I really think Lucas got lucky and bumbled through his success. If you ever watch an interview or any of his movies that he had control over, he has literally no idea what he is doing. The only thing Lucas did right, was copy a decent plot as an "homage" for his first sci-fi movie, and invent great special effects. He did create or assemble a team that created great special effects. He lucked out in the deal to take all the merchandising profits and run with that. But as much as he repeats himself about being a story-teller, he can barely put coherent thoughts together. That's great if you're trying to get your kids to go to sleep ("trade federation . . blah, blah, blah)

Star Wars has some great, fun moments, and is very loosely directed. There's a reason Alec Guiness hated the whole thing, it looked like amateur night to him. But it was fun like the old scifi serials. But there are some serious plot holes and poor directing. Empire was better, because of Lawrence Kasdan and the studio control. Jedi was a money grab. The other prequel movies are pitiful. They are beautiful to look at, but that only lasts so long, I actually preferred and enjoyed Crouching Tiger more, I didn't understand Chinese, but the movie was beautiful and there was a story that you could follow and cared a little about. Lucas prequels, not so much.

Edited by buckero0

I appreciate the lengths that they've gone to make the game accessible by generally not requiring one expansion wave for another, but it really limits things for big series fans. I mean, at this point, if we ever want a new mission with snow tiles, we'll either have to get it in a figure pack that requires Hoth, or they'll have to just print entirely new snow tiles in an expansion. I feel bad saying this, but it's actually pretty reasonable to expect fans to buy expansions in the order they were released in- that would allow us to see a ton more variety. Though, from a business perspective, that severely limits FFG.

Love it!

I had a similar issue with “one and done” villains, especially from the core, but that’s been addressed thanks to the new nemeses class deck.

I personally felt that earning them through the agenda system never worked out because the play was to just horde a bunch of agenda cards for the finale, which was also addressed in the developer article.

I’d be okay if they started releasing supplement books.

It could include: a new campaign that requires a bunch of expansions + new skirmish missions/new 4-player skirmish missions + errata’d cards.

But there are some serious plot holes.

My favourite is Han in space in Episode V. Leaving the Falcon in an asteroid without a space suit ...

He didn't get hit, he got divorced. A lot of the "heart" of Star Wars was ideas from his wife, she influenced a lot of his movies. Then they had a falling out, got divorced, and the prequels sucked.

And yes, as far as I'm concerned the best Star Wars movies were movies he wasn't involved with a lot - V, VI and VII

I really think Lucas got lucky and bumbled through his success. If you ever watch an interview or any of his movies that he had control over, he has literally no idea what he is doing. The only thing Lucas did right, was copy a decent plot as an "homage" for his first sci-fi movie, and invent great special effects. He did create or assemble a team that created great special effects. He lucked out in the deal to take all the merchandising profits and run with that. But as much as he repeats himself about being a story-teller, he can barely put coherent thoughts together. That's great if you're trying to get your kids to go to sleep ("trade federation . . blah, blah, blah)

Star Wars has some great, fun moments, and is very loosely directed. There's a reason Alec Guiness hated the whole thing, it looked like amateur night to him. But it was fun like the old scifi serials. But there are some serious plot holes and poor directing. Empire was better, because of Lawrence Kasdan and the studio control. Jedi was a money grab. The other prequel movies are pitiful. They are beautiful to look at, but that only lasts so long, I actually preferred and enjoyed Crouching Tiger more, I didn't understand Chinese, but the movie was beautiful and there was a story that you could follow and cared a little about. Lucas prequels, not so much.

As someone who watched Star Wars in 1977, two years before it became Episode IV. I can tell you I love Star Wars, but the quoted post is pretty much spot on. He got lucky. It is hard to predict when something will become a phenomenon. Certainly nobody involved with Star Wars' creation could have ever conceived what was going to happen. But one cannot understand the success of Star Wars without understand the personage of Marcia Lucas. There is a reason she got the Oscar and not George. In the years before THX 1138 Marcia was working the Francis Ford Coppela. After THX Marcia kind pushed for George to make something more in line with a Ford Coppela or Scorsese. George told her that those kind of movies were easy to make, and so he made American Graffiti on a bit of a dare, if you will. So with the success of American Graffiti, he decided he wanted, and had the clout, to make a movie like the old serials he grew up with. Most notably, given the opening crawl, Flash Gordon.

What Lucas originally conceived was pretty much unworkable. Due to executive meddling and Marcia's editing and ideas, like Luke getting kissed by Leia "for luck", Star Wars was humanized more than it would have otherwise been. Lucas is, in my opinion, a brilliant cinematographer. Star Wars is beautiful for that reason, particularly the Tatooine scenes, but he has the personality of monk. But what really made Star Wars epic, was the epic villain. If anyone hasn't listened to David Prowse's raw dialog, then do so, and you can see that without James Earl Jones, and up and coming actor, Darth Vader would have been laughable. Then you have John Williams' epic score. So, I agree, Lucas got very lucky and the stars lined up, pun intended. Then he took a hands off approach to Empire, which to me, is what really solidified Star Wars into the national psyche.

Can't agree with the above posts. Lucas is a good story-teller, but I think his stories are limited by what can be put to screen. Did some of his original concepts suck? Sure. But to say that he had little to do with Episode V and VI is absurd.

He was the only person responsible for American Graffiti, and that's a great movie. Very human characters, very nostalgic, and despite nothing really happening, there is a lot of story there.

He wrote the story for ANH (yes, a gazillion times), directed it, and pioneered independent film making, marketing, and special effects.

He wrote the story for ESB (yes, others contributed and rewrote stuff). He produced it, which still involved creative choices (wardrobe, effects, concept designs).

Ditto for ROTJ.

He wrote the story for Willow, which remains a great movie.

He conceived of and helped write the first three Indiana Jones movies, and prevented Spielberg's terrible idea of a Nazi with a mechanical arm.

I like the prequels. I think Anakin's storyline in Episode II could have been done better (I think there should have been a focus on Anakin helping people, while the Jedi are paralyzed by politics. Anakin defies the Jedi Council's directive in order to free the slaves on Tattooine, ensuring that what happens to his mother doesn't happen to others. I digress...). But I feel that each of the three movies are better than 99% of the other films made, and if nothing else, they expanded the Star Wars mythos and added many amazing (IMO) designs.

Compare that to Peter Jackson, who is lauded despite his only accomplishment being adapting a book that is one of the highest selling books of all time, and botching a good deal of that due to contemporizing/Hollywoodizing parts of the story. Other than casting/design work, the only good parts of LOTR or the Hobbit were the parts that were adapted faithfully from Tolkien.

There are better directors, better story-tellers, and better dressers. But George Lucas deserves to be respected for what he accomplished (which I would be willing to bet is much more than any of us have done).

George Lucas deserves to be respected for what he accomplished

For some things yes (e.g. making Star Wars possible!), for some things no:

There is a lot of literature that has been University standard, teaching how the character development of Han Solo is an exceptional example for good writing: from a ruthless killer to a true hero and saviour of the galaxy. If you were praised that highly, would you change that afterwards?

By now there is a lot of literature that is University standard, teaching how dumb you are, if you're changing a masterpiece after release in such a relevant matter.

Jar-Jar

Star Wars has been praised highly for NOT explaining, how all the fancy stuff works (Force, Light Saber, Hyperdrive). And in immediate response, he creates Midichlorians?

I sometimes believe, that he had some lucky shots, for which he had been praised as a genius. And now he absolutely WANTS to do everything to prove to everyone, that in reality he definitely is not. Deconstructing himself like Curt Cobain, just not with a shotgun.

Edited by DerBaer

Can't agree with the above posts. Lucas is a good story-teller, but I think his stories are limited by what can be put to screen. Did some of his original concepts suck? Sure. But to say that he had little to do with Episode V and VI is absurd.

He was the only person responsible for American Graffiti, and that's a great movie. Very human characters, very nostalgic, and despite nothing really happening, there is a lot of story there.

He wrote the story for ANH (yes, a gazillion times), directed it, and pioneered independent film making, marketing, and special effects.

He wrote the story for ESB (yes, others contributed and rewrote stuff). He produced it, which still involved creative choices (wardrobe, effects, concept designs).

Ditto for ROTJ.

He wrote the story for Willow, which remains a great movie.

He conceived of and helped write the first three Indiana Jones movies, and prevented Spielberg's terrible idea of a Nazi with a mechanical arm.

I like the prequels. I think Anakin's storyline in Episode II could have been done better (I think there should have been a focus on Anakin helping people, while the Jedi are paralyzed by politics. Anakin defies the Jedi Council's directive in order to free the slaves on Tattooine, ensuring that what happens to his mother doesn't happen to others. I digress...). But I feel that each of the three movies are better than 99% of the other films made, and if nothing else, they expanded the Star Wars mythos and added many amazing (IMO) designs.

Compare that to Peter Jackson, who is lauded despite his only accomplishment being adapting a book that is one of the highest selling books of all time, and botching a good deal of that due to contemporizing/Hollywoodizing parts of the story. Other than casting/design work, the only good parts of LOTR or the Hobbit were the parts that were adapted faithfully from Tolkien.

There are better directors, better story-tellers, and better dressers. But George Lucas deserves to be respected for what he accomplished (which I would be willing to bet is much more than any of us have done).

Thanks for making my day! I nearly burst out laughing when you said Willow is a good movie!

So... uhh... about Jabba's Realm vs Hoth...

The 7 part dissection of why the prequel is a complete bloody disaster from start to finish:

I think when George was younger he largely followed the examples of previous film makers, such as Kurosawa, and got it right. When he got older he stopped following others and just started screwing up.

And yes Peter Jackson movies are trainwrecks too.

Thanks for making my day! I nearly burst out laughing when you said Willow is a good movie!

Oh my gosh!!! You don't like Willow???

Is it cheesy? Sure. But it's a very fun, family friendly adventure movie with a good cast. What's not to like? I grew up with it, so I'm sure there's some nostalgia clouding my viewpoint, but I honestly cannot imagine what people would dislike about it.

(the Nintendo game adaptation? another story altogether)

Perhaps my second question would be to ask what 80's fantasy film would you rate higher than Willow?

Edited by tomkat364

One of the most fun (and quotable) movies of all time: The Princess Bride!

Inconceivable!

Inconceivable!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Alright, Princess Bride does top Willow. But Willow is still good.

Alright, Princess Bride does top Willow. But Willow is still good.

I agree - I like both movies, but I think Princess Bride is on a whole different level.

George Lucas is a tinker and an experimenter. Some times experiments turn out well, some times experiments make a big mess. George Lucas fundamentally changed human civilization and George Lucas made Howard the Duck. There are many do-nothings that like to criticize a man who did great and shameful things. The truth is one will not do one without doing the other.

Really, get off the mans back. Yes the prequels weren't half as good as they should have been but also they aren't half as bad as people make them out to be. Not everything is going to be Star Wars, THX, ILM, Skywalker Sound, Lucas Arts, Indian Jones, Movie Blockbusters, Movie Merchandising, Pixar, .... ah hell, you guys are just being trolls over what, Jar Jar, Howard the Duck and Ewoks?

Edited by Mep

So eh back to topic:

Looks like it's very likely we'll have some huge tiles that overlaps with core tiles to create those interior rooms

I'm still very curious on how the Sarlacc pit's going to work though since this is very likely a rule mistake by FFG marketing team

Never saw the instagram pic, got any other ones? I'm excited for more missions

I hope they introduce a new mechanism similar to the threat missions in Hoth: someone's going to have a slight dis/advantage until that mission is completed

edit: Also there better be some good surprises in that mission . Otherwise I don't see there to be any reason at all for Rebels to not take the red path (I'm sure the intention is for Rebels to take the purple path): why move like 8 spaces when you can get there with only 4 spaces?

Edited by ricope

"this": most probably uses some mission rules that we are not seeing.

"that mission": what are the red and purple lines? Why is there a hard corner in the red line anyway if it indicates movement? You can move directly from the stairs to the JR12 tile. Anyway, there are no crates, terminals, mission tokens, entrance or initial deployments shown - nothing much can be drawn from just the map.

"this": most probably uses some mission rules that we are not seeing.

"that mission": what are the red and purple lines? Why is there a hard corner in the red line anyway if it indicates movement? You can move directly from the stairs to the JR12 tile. Anyway, there are no crates, terminals, mission tokens, entrance or initial deployments shown - nothing much can be drawn from just the map.

With the flavor text, I would assume the red line represents the path of the crate, the purple line the path of the "stormtrooper" they refer to. Both move in preset routes, one space per turn for the crate, three for the stormtrooper. You have to avoid being seen by the stormtrooper until the crate gets out of its potential line of site. Something like that.

Edited by tomkat364