Going to Play Soon...

By Boba Rick, in Star Wars: Rebellion

My buddy got this game and I'm excited to play it with him in a couple of weeks. He's working on figuring out the rules and so am I. I hope it's okay if I put some of them up here in this thread from time to time?

First question... Combat. All space forces combine for a single attack, right?

" Space Battle: The current player resolves one

attack with all of his ships. Then his opponent

resolves one attack with all of his own ships.

Attacks are explained below."

But then it says...

"Each attack is limited to a maximum of five red and five black dice."

Whaaaaa? You mean you can have a ton of ships exceeding 5 dice but you can only roll 5? That seems really lame! Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Hi.

You're not missing anything there. In fact for the combat you gather the dice from all your ships combined but you can roll a maximum of 5 reds and 5 blacks.

My guess is that this was made this way (appart that for not needing more dice) for balance. If not the Empire (who more often can surpass the maximum dice numbers for a combat) will have an advantage being able to kill more Rebel ships in only one round, thus cancelling the option for another round where the rebels can attack again and maybe kill some more enemy units.

Thanks, that makes sense!

There are also only 5 red and 5 black dice in the box. This rule keeps you from having to write down results and roll extra dice.

Also note - when you are doing a mission you can not roll more than 10 dice (red/black dice are identical for mission results).

Also be aware that Ion Cannons reduce red dice after the limit of 5 red dice applied. This means if the rebels have 2 ion cannons - you got only one red die for space battles. At least thats how we played it. I hope this was right ^^.

Also be aware that Ion Cannons reduce red dice after the limit of 5 red dice applied. This means if the rebels have 2 ion cannons - you got only one red die for space battles. At least thats how we played it. I hope this was right ^^.

You'll have to modify the way you play it :)

The reduction takes place before the dice limitation. For refference, RRG page 4:

1 . Roll Dice: The player rolls dice matching the color and quantity of the attack values of all his participating units.

• Each player can roll a maximum of five black dice and five red dice during each attack.

• If an ability reduces the number of dice rolled, this reduction applies before the limit of five dice is applied.

"Each attack is limited to a maximum of five red and five black dice."

Whaaaaa? You mean you can have a ton of ships exceeding 5 dice but you can only roll 5? That seems really lame! Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

There's a military concept here (not sure what it's called) where at a certain point addition troops don't add more firepower to an engagement. When a fleet or fighting force gets large enough it will block it's own troops ability to fire and so much of the fighting force has to wait to fire in order to avoid friendly fire. Other games have employed this concept by having specific action cards that make your own units hit each other if you have too many but the system in Star Wars rebellion is much easier and less random.

Had a great time playing this game for the first time. I was the Rebels, my friend was the Imperials.

I started out good, creating distractions with Sabotage, building alliances every turn, searching the Objective deck every turn. I think the first 2 turns I had the upper hand. Dodonna was captured, but I got him back a couple turns later with Chewie. I got Lando early, and used him to oppose Imperial mission like a boss. I was building loyalty rapidly and using the appropriate Objective cards to get points that way.

Then I think I made a couple mistakes. I almost had loyalty Mon Cal, but I got it pulled out from under me. Then I had amassed a force in a single area towards the middle of the board, moved in, and built an alliance unopposed. Then the Imperials attacked me there, and I stayed and fought. I lost the space battle, but won the ground battle. After the fight, I realized I had no real mobility left. Sure I pretty much won the fight, but he had two other groups of forces the same size as the one I just defeated. I had ground troops, not many, but no real way to get them anywhere. The next turn, Luke was captured and then turned to the dark side.

We never finished the game because it was getting too late, but I think it was pretty clear I would lose. The Imperials had the advantage in every way.

I think my big mistake was allowing a direct engagement with the enemy. I would have been better off just taking a planet and running far, far away or something. We're going to do a rematch and I'm looking forward to being the Rebels again.

A few questions, this is my first time playing and I don't own the game, so please have patience and bear with me:

1) Is there a mission card that I can reliably use to attack from my base without giving up my base's location? I need to figure out how to do hit-and-run attacks.

2) How do I attack and hide? If I leave my navy out in the open he'll crush it. Is there a way to hide my Navy on my base to where he can't get to it?

3) Rules question: If an attempt is made against my leader that is in a system with one of my other leaders, can my other leader help out by adding dice? What if my leader that he's attempting a mission against is captured (like Interrogation or Dark Side turning)?

I think I remember cards that did something like this, but it's all kind of a blur. I guess I just need help with hit-and-fade tactics.

Edited by Boba Rick

You definitely hit on the critical points for the Rebels, including sabotaging and infiltrating. You're right that you never want to put all your eggs in one basket but it can be worthwhile to gain objective points for combat or to distract the Imperial player if the fleet is far enough away from the base. Regarding your questions:

1) Lead the Strike Team lets you stage a ground attack from the base and Plan the Assault lets you move space units from the base to initiate a battle. They're very, very powerful missions, with bonuses given to Han and Dodonna, respectively.

2) Rapid Mobilization allows you to move units back to the base but those units can't come from a system with a leader in it. So it's hard to truly hit and hide.

3) Your leaders already there can participate (along with your opponent's) and when a new mission is attempted you can send yet another leader to oppose.

To your last point Hidden Fleet allows you to move forces out of the base but it can only be to a non-hostile system so it takes two turns to do something with the fleet.

Always play to the end. no matter how bleak things look for the rebels they can always potentially win. Especially if the base hasn't been discovered yet. I've seen some crazy combacks.

Comebacks for the empire are less likely but also it's more rare that the empire puts themselves in a position where they need to come back.