New Scenarios

By J0shjames, in Doom

Please forgive me as I'm new to this site and i'm still working on navigating it so if this question has already been answered, my bad.

I just picked up the Doom boardgame and absolutely love it, so far after only two games I've gotten my wife, four of our friends and myself hooked on it. With the rate we will probably play this game we are quickly going to blow through all the scenarios in the booklet as well as the one i found on the FFG website (yeah, they said check the website for mapS, that s is supposed to make it plural...grumble).

So I'm just wondering if any of you guys have found a good place to find player made maps or I've even noticed some people have made map editor programs and I'm curious which one seems to work best. Thanks in advance for the replys!

Tibs made that excellent 3rd Campaign, and Knuckles had one in the works (not sure if he finished it). I think all custom maps can be found over at BGG :)

-shnar

Shnar, what do you mean I got a campaign in the works? I make standalone scenarios, no campaigns. Tibs is the Campaigns master, I'm just standalone creator.

Oh, sorry, I thought you had a "stand-alone" campaign, not connected to the other 3 ones out there. Not sure why, must be the holidays catching up with me ;)

-shnar

Thanks for the tip guys, I just downloaded a few of knuckles scenarios and tibs campaign and can't wait to give 'em a try. Thanks for the hard work knuckles!

Well, they're not fully playtested, so any problems you can tell me would be nice.

Hey, where's the love for the scenario and campaign I slaved over? LOL! Yeah, I made a Doom scenario called Congo that takes place in the African Congo at a secret UAC base several years after the plot of Doom 3 . Also, check out my six-part campaign titled Jupiter Rising . This is a very long campaign taking place after Doom 3 . It starts on a derelict shuttle craft, and goes from there to the asteroid belt to the moons of Jupiter, and ends up in a cursed, black pyramid. I scanned each page of these Doom missions onto my photobucket page. Visit: http://s337.photobucket.com/home/BarbarianWanderer . Just click on the page you want and print it. If you click on "Doom Missions," you can print Congo , and if you click on "Jupiter Rising," it will take you to the page where all six missions of this campaign are available in consecutive order. I've been waiting for some feedback on this campain, but I guess no one has played it yet. If you play it, post some comments. Thanks!

Cool, I'll try and give those a shot interceptor, I'm always looking for more scenarios. Also, I've noticed many people have said that Descent is much the same as Doom so would it be worth it for me to get Descent or is it basically like playing the same game?

They're *similar* games, along the lines of mechanics, but completely different in feel/genre. Descent feels like Doom but with one or two expansions already in the box, so the game is a LOT more complex with many more options. The armor/weapons are more than "vanilla" stuff like Doom (i.e. everyone's shotgun is a shotgun in Doom, but everyone's sword is different in Descent), there's more things heroes can do (particularly with fatigue), there are potions, there are more creatures, etc. The two games feel very different too, Doom is a horror-survivor game, Descent is a dungeon-crawl game.

But, if you like how Doom plays, as far as a moving figures on modular tiles, then you'd probably like how Descent plays as well.

-shnar

J0shjames said:

Cool, I'll try and give those a shot interceptor, I'm always looking for more scenarios. Also, I've noticed many people have said that Descent is much the same as Doom so would it be worth it for me to get Descent or is it basically like playing the same game?

I'll echo Shnar's comments, for what it's worth.

Descent took Doom's mechanics and elaborated on them, so the two games will seem very similar at first blush. However, Descent also has a number of new ideas that Kevin apparently came up with after Doom was out there. Fatigue, for example, that can be spent for extra MPs during a turn. Some people prefer Descent's rules as they provide more options, more flexibility, etc. Other people prefer Doom's rules as they are simpler and more tightly written (Descent does suffer from a wide variety of illogical and vaguely worded cards/rules, fair warning.)

That said, I think the two games are sufficiently different that they don't feel like playing the same game. In terms of atmosphere alone they are each unique. Doom is a genuinely scary fight for survival, whereas Descent is a more traditional fantasy adventure. The heroes still have to fight to win in Descent, but it isn't quite as steep an uphill battle as Doom is.

Descent also has piles and piles of expansion material which you may enjoy (new toys!) or hate (more money!), whereas Doom looks like it's all done. Just another factor to consider.

Interceptor said:

Also, check out my six-part campaign titled Jupiter Rising . This is a very long campaign taking place after Doom 3 . It starts on a derelict shuttle craft, and goes from there to the asteroid belt to the moons of Jupiter, and ends up in a cursed, black pyramid. I scanned each page of these Doom missions onto my photobucket page. Visit: http://s337.photobucket.com/home/BarbarianWanderer .

I've been reading your campaign, and it's very nicely written. You really go beyond the implementation of most 'levels', and make it into a real Hollywood-like story. I like the writing a lot more than the official scenarios.

However, I have not yet been able to play it, and I'm afraid it's too much text for my gaming group. They are gamers, not roleplayers. So, my question: Has this campaign been playtested well, and is it balanced? Or is it really more suited for roleplayers, where the invader doesn't really try to kill the marines?

So, basically, how does it 'play'? Do you have to go soft on the marines, or are your suggested mods enough to produce good balanced 'gaming' scenarios?

And I don't like the super shotgun mod at all, would it hurt if I used the standard shotgun rules?

Oh, and while I'm at it, nice paintjobs! I'm in the middle of painting my expansion figures, and I have trouble with the cherubs. How did you do yours? (Couldn't find a pic of them).

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, my Jupiter Rising Campaign is a bit more like a role-palying game. The invader doesn't have to take it soft on the players, but the players are given more opportunities for success...kind of built into the scenarios. Still, when I playtested the scenarios, I had a heck of a time keeping my marines alive...especially on the longer scenarios. More ways to die, and the marines only have so many frags to give up before they're down to their last frag.

As to painting cherubs...I personally do not like the cherubs, so I didn't paint them. Dungeons and Dragons miniatures had a flaming skull, and I ordered a few of these and use them as lost souls since the Doom games never incorporated these. I basically use the cherub's stats for the lost souls, but I then use the flaming skull miniature instead of the cherub.

I don't like the cherubs either, and agree that they should have added the Lost Souls instead. Do you have any of those D&D flaming skulls painted? Does their size match with the other Doom miniatures?

To make the flaming skulls act more like the game, perhaps you could change the stats into something like:

• Movement 4, but if movement ends in an attack, movement 8. This would mimic the charge they make in the games, after which they're always a couple of seconds in a dazed state (unable to flee or dodge).
  • To really make the most out of this, you could have the Cacodemon spit them out instead of a move and attack...

Anyway, thanks for the reply, I'll try that campaign with my group, after I'm done painting :)

De Raketman said:

I don't like the cherubs either, and agree that they should have added the Lost Souls instead. Do you have any of those D&D flaming skulls painted? Does their size match with the other Doom miniatures?

To make the flaming skulls act more like the game, perhaps you could change the stats into something like:

• Movement 4, but if movement ends in an attack, movement 8. This would mimic the charge they make in the games, after which they're always a couple of seconds in a dazed state (unable to flee or dodge).
  • To really make the most out of this, you could have the Cacodemon spit them out instead of a move and attack...

Anyway, thanks for the reply, I'll try that campaign with my group, after I'm done painting :)

I'm thinking of using Warhammer Skeleton Regiments for them. Use their skulls (the bodies can be used as headless soldiers, skeleton's don't need heads) as Lost Souls. Sculpt some flames on it maybe. The size of the Warhammer stuff matches Doom. Also, Tibs already made the stats for Lost Souls. Look for his stuff in BGG.

Interceptor said:

Hey, where's the love for the scenario and campaign I slaved over? LOL! Yeah, I made a Doom scenario called Congo that takes place in the African Congo at a secret UAC base several years after the plot of Doom 3 . Also, check out my six-part campaign titled Jupiter Rising . This is a very long campaign taking place after Doom 3 . It starts on a derelict shuttle craft, and goes from there to the asteroid belt to the moons of Jupiter, and ends up in a cursed, black pyramid. I scanned each page of these Doom missions onto my photobucket page. Visit: http://s337.photobucket.com/home/BarbarianWanderer . Just click on the page you want and print it. If you click on "Doom Missions," you can print Congo , and if you click on "Jupiter Rising," it will take you to the page where all six missions of this campaign are available in consecutive order. I've been waiting for some feedback on this campain, but I guess no one has played it yet. If you play it, post some comments. Thanks!

Mate, this looks ace, get it posted up on boardgamegeek, you're bound to get some feedback there. Might be a bit text-heavy as mentioned above, but totally sterling work nonetheless!

Hello Knuckles!

Can You tell me please, how do u make your scenarios? What soft do u use for making a map and scenario text?

Thank You.

Knuckles Eki said:

I'm thinking of using Warhammer Skeleton Regiments for them. Use their skulls (the bodies can be used as headless soldiers, skeleton's don't need heads) as Lost Souls. Sculpt some flames on it maybe. The size of the Warhammer stuff matches Doom. Also, Tibs already made the stats for Lost Souls. Look for his stuff in BGG.

Make a unit of headless cavalry and call them "the Headless Horsemen!" I like it!