The Playmat

By Wu Ming, in Micro Mutants

I have some questions regarding the Palymat, how does it work for eveyone, how do you use/ store it and what methods work best for you. We've ironed the mat , once before play to limmit creases, but have since stoped putting it in the box as it will create more creases and memory, we're temporaryly leaving it rolled up out of the way but have been thinking of other means of alternate storage. What have other dones regarding the creasing, the storage and the general use of the mat?

I iron it for big days when it will get played a lot. (medium heat, iron the BACK of the mat!)

I just store it in the box. If me and the boy just get it out for a quick game it is fine with a few ridges for a bit of "terrain". If it is too creased we just move bugs back to the flat bit before shooting.

I also use a length of polar fleece under it to give it some bounce. On its own it is too thin to get any jump in the bugs. One day I will find the perfect rubber type mat (think yoga mat) and paint the lines on there ;)

I do not like the mat terrain. If terrain, real terrain. I would prefer to get out some game boxed and play on them.

For normal play I glued the mat on paper-back.

Iron the mat with medium heat? Steam or no steam?

I've replicated the playmat with felt I custom cut to the size, then marked the edges of the dashed lines by holding the felt just off-centered of the original, then used some artistic ability to finish the arch's myself.

The felt let's the bugs bounce a lot smoother, and just creates a more ideal playing surface. I understand why FFG couldn't support that kind of surface with what must have been boxing/size restrictions, as my recreation doesn't fit into the box. Seems like a small sacrifice to make an amazing game even MORE amazing.