Horrible commission experience WARNING

By krzykoopa, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Ya I've read the whole thread and the other thread, I gather from this that the painter was in over his head a bit but koopa just complicated things further by being an *******.

There is never a reason to be a jerk to someone unless they are a jerk first and in this case the painter supplied you with what you considered to be an inferior product and then you attacked him both privately and publicly. It reflects very poorly upon you. And if you don't want peoples opinions, don't post on a public forum.

Ya I've read the whole thread and the other thread, I gather from this that the painter was in over his head a bit but koopa just complicated things further by being an *******.

There is never a reason to be a jerk to someone unless they are a jerk first and in this case the painter supplied you with what you considered to be an inferior product and then you attacked him both privately and publicly. It reflects very poorly upon you. And if you don't want peoples opinions, don't post on a public forum.

Taking what you said " There is never a reason to be a jerk to someone unless they are a jerk first" you calling me an ******* is nice way to show you practice what you preach. I don't see telling the painter I am upset with the quality work he gave me as attacking. Did you really read everything? either way I welcome all opinions and never said I didn't want them. As I have stated I made this post to explain and tell my experience take it how you will.

Edited by krzykoopa

Guys this is getting out of hands. No need to be rude. There is two sides in this situation and most reasons have already been addressed.

As for the paint job it self, I still believe paint have come lose during transport. Still there are some other issues as well.

Anyway I can just repeat that I'm happy about this thread, as it enlightens the problem with commission work if you are inexperienced. Both as a customer and a painter. Hopefully this thread will serve as a bad example and make painter think twice before they commission something that is over there heads and that the buyer might think twice if the price is to low.

Just to throw this out there, too- I'd imagine the painter wasn't purposefully trying to screw you over, but that you're simply not happy with his work that he has to offer.

What I mean is this- I can buy a hamburger from McDonalds on their Dollar Menu (though I think they might be a little over a dollar now, because inflation sucks). Will I like the burger? Meh, it'll be okay. Will it be as good as a burger I can get at the Mom and Pop's diner in town, or as good as a chunk of meat I can get at a local steakhouse? Of course not- but I'd be very much at fault to have those expectations to begin with.

To be honest, from what I've seen of the paintjobs, he did far better than he should have for $3 per figure. You truly have my condolences for not being happy with how your minis were treated, but as customers, we must accept the responsibility of our choices as well. When making decisions like this, particularly in a "too good to be true" situation like this, research is incredibly important.

I read the BGG thread on this when it was originally posted, and it inspired me to paint my own minis. I'm almost done now (Waves 1-7) after about a month of work, and I'm extremely pleased in what I've done. They're far from professional quality, but they're a hell of a lot better than the grey and tan I had before. I don't want to sound presumptuous, but as a friend, I'd suggest trying to paint the minis yourself next time. Even if they don't come out perfect, it's immensely satisfying, and you might just discover that you're much better at it than you could have anticipated.

Also- even with my amateur quality of the minis, It's taken me a very long time to paint each figure. I absolutely cannot imagine doing this for commission work at only $3 a figure, and using my own tools and paint to boot. I'd be practically losing money in that venture.

Wow, I feel like I just lived this topic.

A guy from my IA game bought some stuff from another game and begged me to paint them, (we use my IA minis so he knows my skill level).

I thought about it, set a price and we worked out colors. I sent him a prototype of one of the figures and he gushed about it and asked for one thing to be changed, the change was implemented and the rest of the figures looked the same.

I finished up, and when delivery came he flipped out on me. I suck, I ripped him off, they're horrible and unplayable. ..etc

I still got paid, but he was a jerk about it. He never even asked for a refund or a reduction in price, just took them and left.

Fortunately I know enough pro artists and designers of other kinds that tell me it's common for people to get angry when you charged them what you said you would for work they agreed was correct.

Im sometimes doing commisions. However i never take the money before i show my cusyomer the painted minis. In poland usualy it costs 20 pln a mini (yea its cheap considering 1 dollar is 3,50pln) but the market is set around here. However when j deliver minis that ive painted im asking ,,is everything fine with them or you want something improved" and only afyer my customer accept the minis then i take the money for my job. But there is no excuse for messing miniatures up with paint in random places like the wookie was and i swear this thing shoud have been fixed WITHOUT hesitation. that quality is extreemly poor and painter should have been ashamed.

On 11/8/2017 at 2:15 PM, Zrob314 said:

Wow, I feel like I just lived this topic.

A guy from my IA game bought some stuff from another game and begged me to paint them, (we use my IA minis so he knows my skill level).

I thought about it, set a price and we worked out colors. I sent him a prototype of one of the figures and he gushed about it and asked for one thing to be changed, the change was implemented and the rest of the figures looked the same.

I finished up, and when delivery came he flipped out on me. I suck, I ripped him off, they're horrible and unplayable. ..etc

I still got paid, but he was a jerk about it. He never even asked for a refund or a reduction in price, just took them and left.

Fortunately I know enough pro artists and designers of other kinds that tell me it's common for people to get angry when you charged them what you said you would for work they agreed was correct.

This is because many people buy things that they cannot really truly afford. They have the money, but it really isn't spare. In that situation, nothing will ever be good enough. It will always seem like you paid too much for something if it was money that you didn't really have.