Side Stories

By Doma0997, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

In the new article about Arkham Nights ( https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/28/curse-of-the-rougarou/ ), it says you can use the POD as a side story to whatever campaign you are playing, as well as the regular stand alone adventure. I feel this is worth discussion, or is at least a better topic then all this negative chatter going on.

So, does this lead to a chance to make side story deluxe expansions? Mini campaigns for your campaigns to flesh out your characters more? I didn't think of them going down this route, but it adds many more possibilities then I even originally thought about.

I noticed that, too. But given we have PoD for side stories, I'd rather see boxes and cycles dedicated to campaigns.

Given all the scenarios can be played stand-alone, you can always pull one you like out of a campaign and use it as a side story in whatever you're playing, if you wish.

I don't know. I really like the idea of pure self contained side stories for campaigns. Actually, since the core box doesn't look like it'll be expanded, that in and of itself seems to be good for a side story as it's a small self contained little trip. Just pulling out any scenario seems flimsy to me, and if they only do the PoD a couple times a year it's not going to be enough for a while. I'm hoping to be able to construct an epic rpg worthy adventure. A play until you die sort of thing with side stories and branching paths. It seems very doable with what they've been showing so far.

I noticed that, too. But given we have PoD for side stories, I'd rather see boxes and cycles dedicated to campaigns.

Given all the scenarios can be played stand-alone, you can always pull one you like out of a campaign and use it as a side story in whatever you're playing, if you wish.

That may be slightly awkward, though, since some of the choices in campaign scenarios directly affect later ones. For instance, if one scenario ends with you catching a gang member, and you've got the option of turning him in for a reward (bonus experience points) or cutting a deal with him (you can access his safe house as a location in a future scenario), that choice isn't very meaningful if you know that's the only scenario you're playing.

The POD side stories, on the other hand, will likely stick with what's directly logged (trauma, experience, acquired assets, and acquired weaknesses).

That may be slightly awkward, though, since some of the choices in campaign scenarios directly affect later ones. For instance, if one scenario ends with you catching a gang member, and you've got the option of turning him in for a reward (bonus experience points) or cutting a deal with him (you can access his safe house as a location in a future scenario), that choice isn't very meaningful if you know that's the only scenario you're playing.

That seems like a problem that's trivially easy to avoid in adventure and campaign design, if they care to do so. We know very little about what these kinds of choices will actually look like, I believe. It could just as easily be a pure success/failure split -- you either capture the guy and get the experience and access to the safe house (and if it's a side job, the safe house doesn't matter, but you still get the XP), or you don't and get neither.

Besides, to me, a far more interesting choice is if capturing him is a side objective in the scenario, but carries additional risk. Y/N choices at the end are boring. Build it into the actual game. But that's more of a side thought, neither here nor there.

In any case, one of the big features they're pushing is campaign mode. I'd be surprised if they release a box of dedicated one-shots and side missions anything resembling soon. And they may never, if by the time they get around to it we have a half-dozen PoDs.

I'm fine with POD as standalone scenarios, but I'm not a fan of the side mission idea.

The campaign seems likely to be thematic and balanced. If in the middle of a campaign I suddenly end up far away (Rougarou occurs in New Orleans, not Arkham), that really messes with the theme and campaign story for me.

And given that the campaigns are likely to have each scenario be of a certain difficulty (I imagine increasing as the cycle develops since Investigators will be gaining experience all along too), adding in more experience from side missions might unbalance the later scenarios of a campaign. If I do well in the side mission(s), then I have higher level cards and can more easily defeat the later scenarios; if I do poorly in the side missions I might end up with trauma or weakness or negative cards in my deck that will make me more likely to lose the later scenarios of a campaign. Why mess with the balance?

I'm sure I'll pick up the PODs, but I'm also pretty sure I'll stick to using them as standalone scenarios.

I'm not sure how they'll fit in with a campaign and not ruin the balance.

Probably they will slightly affect the balance of the game. But don't forget that typical campaing consist of 8 scenarios, so 1 or 2 side stories shouldn't break the balance of entire campaing.

Specially if the pod give very little XP. But may some other rewards? Or not XP at all and just give something to do while waiting next shapter?

But we will see it eventually.

It may be that getting a lot XP will just make investigators insane more quickly? Who knows ;)

There is also a chance that those stand alones/side stories come with their own carry over weaknesses and forced trauma's. So you may end up with stronger cards, but you get whittled down because you decided to stay out in the field longer. I think it would be interesting if The Curse of the Rougarou came with a weakness you could get by the end of the scenario where someone develops the curse as a weakness if they play it as a side story in a campaign. You should potentially justify gaining the xp and higher power scenario carry over cards if what afflicts you can potentially sabotage your entire campaign.