Playing character question

By jhilahd ~ Skotos, in Cave Troll

Hi all,

I picked up a couple of games (ok... alot) over the holidays for my family and I to play.

One of these games was Cave Troll. We tried our first game of it last night, and we had some confusion about when/how to play heroes and monsters.

1) Do you play them as part of your four actions and place them out on the entrance? Say I wanted to play a dwarf, I could place him out on my turn OR

2) Do use play them only when you have one of their cards?

We played a combination of the two for the time being.

Thanks!

On your turn you can take four actions (except the first turn). One action may be any one of the following:

Take and play a card

move one hero or monster

play an artifact

use a hero or monster special ability.

When you take a card it most often depicts a hero. Playing a hero card allows you to place one of the corresponding heros into an entrance on the board. This is the only way of bringing heros into the game.

Example: I have a card in my hand that is an Adventurer, for one of my four actions this turn I draw and play a card. I draw a dwarf card, now I must choose to play either my adventurer or dwarf card - I choose to play the dwarf card and place the dwarf mini in an entrance.

Cool game - especially after several plays!

Cheers,

Giles.

Giles, thank you for your response.

Yeah, I reread the rules again last night with my Wife and we agreed to what you had said. So in doing that, it made the game more interesting.

Thanks again.

Hello, i dont exactly agree with what Gilles said, but i might be wrong, but this is the way i play.

You have 4 points to spend every round. Things you can do with the points:

- pick a card from the pile ( as long as you dont have more than 2 cards in your hand).

- play the card and resolve what it says.

- use an hero or use a monster special ability.

- move an hero or a monster one space on the board.

- use and item special ability, like the artifacts.

Take this example: you have 1 card in your hand and you have 4 points to play. You decide first to take1 card from the pile (1 point). Then you use one of your cards, lets say its an adventurer and play it, placing the hero in one of the stairs (1 point). Then you decide to move this adventurer 2 spaces (2 points). This all makes you to use 4 points and the end of your turn.

I hope this is right and it helps you.

Hi Loht,

Unfortunately, I think you have misinterpreted the rules. Play how you like, of course, but the rules you describe do not match the printed FFG rules.

Cheers,

z

Hi Zozimus, can you be more specific what am i doing wrong please?

Thank you in advance!

I'm not Zozimus, but I'd like to point out the difference of your interpretation of the rules and the rules as printed:

Take and play a card is a single action, which is one of the four action choices you can choose in your turn. You use one action to both: 1. draw a card; and 2. play a card. This is rule as printed.