This game is strangely awesome

By Dosiere, in BattleLore

Just picked up a copy of battlelore two days ago, and played a few games with my oldest son. I was blown away with how fast it was to pick up and play, and how fun it was. Ten minutes after ripping the plastic off the box we were up and running with the starter scenario.

We tried a few other games like Arcadia Quest but they were never quite what I was looking for. Some I really enjoyed, like Descent 2ed, but they were either a tad bit too complicated and/or required too much time.

This seems just about perfect for a board game aimed at gamers, that also can engage both younger audiences and far more casual players like my wife. It's pretty much a perfect way to introduce someone to the idea of war gaming.

I do wish it had a campaign that had a map we could track it with, that would have been sweet.

Anyway, I was so pleasantly surprised by this game. Even though I am totally going to get into the upcoming runewars miniature game, battlelore fills it's own little niche and I hope they expand it alongside the new game.

Happy both of you like the game, and welcome to the board :)

Welcome!

And there's nothing strange about it! :D

Woohoo! Another BattleLore fan! I'm glad you and your son are enjoying it.

And it's just like you said, it's simple enough that even casual board gamers don't struggle too much with it. My main opponent is my wife, and while it's not her favorite type of game, at least she's willing to play it with me (unlike Runewars or Star Wars LCG). But even though it's simple, it's still really fun, and I think there's plenty of room for strategy -- especially learning to mitigate randomness of cards and dice with clever positioning.