Starting descent for first time, which expansions or RtL?

By heptat, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi

I'm starting descent for the first time with some teenagers and I'd appreciate suggestions on which expansions to mix in. Should I just go with the basic box, or should we just mix in all of the expansions, or perhaps just some (yes, I have them all except (Seas of Blood)? Also, perhaps we should just start off with Road to Legends? Thanks.

There is a very limited amount of integration from the other expansions really, so even if you did add the other expansions to the mix, it wouldn't make it any harder on them. If you mix in the other expansions they also get a larger hero selection, as well as some new potions to use etc, feats too if you include ToI (There was a rule added to Sea of Blood to included feats that also can be ported over to RtL)

So in short, add them in, the more diversity the better. If you are worried about complexity, I doubt the other expansions will really add to it at all.

Also, since they are new players, make sure you have a few tools printed to help them out.

I have a familiar sheet set here for the familiars rules (Printable and easy to keep handy)
Sheet 1
Sheet 2

I also keep one of these lying around for reference.
http://www.headlesshollow.com/downloads/games/DescentRTL_v2.pdf

Zombiemold said:

Also, since they are new players, make sure you have a few tools printed to help them out.

I have a familiar sheet set here for the familiars rules (Printable and easy to keep handy)
Sheet 1
Sheet 2

I also keep one of these lying around for reference.
http://www.headlesshollow.com/downloads/games/DescentRTL_v2.pdf

Nice, thanks!

Zombiemold said:

Sheet 1
Sheet 2

Those token cards are great!! thanks for posting them.

heptat said:

Hi

I'm starting descent for the first time with some teenagers and I'd appreciate suggestions on which expansions to mix in. Should I just go with the basic box, or should we just mix in all of the expansions, or perhaps just some (yes, I have them all except (Seas of Blood)? Also, perhaps we should just start off with Road to Legends? Thanks.

Don't start with Road to Legend. Play a couple of quests first to see if your fellow gamers enjoy it. If they do, then consider going for Road to Legend.

Jake yet again said:

heptat said:

Hi

Don't start with Road to Legend. Play a couple of quests first to see if your fellow gamers enjoy it. If they do, then consider going for Road to Legend.

I don't know, my first experience with Descent was actually jumping right into a Road to Legends campaign with 2 people who had played it before and the rest were first timers like me. We had a great time.