New GM Question: Experience Points

By HistoryGuy, in Game Masters

Only a lightsaber can divide a fan in half...

?

I'll necro this topic instead of creating a new, identical one.

I just want to share my experience with XP (no pun intended) thus far. We're now somewhere in the range of 25-30 sessions into our first campaign, and I have settled on an average XP reward of 15 per session + another 10-30 upon completing a full scenario. At first, I was rather worried that PCs would snowball into overpowered silliness very quickly in this game, having had a "bad" (as in "difficult to justify the meteoric rise in power and position") experience in certain other games, but I'm now starting to believe there aren't any snowballing at all in FFGSWRPG.

After some 500ish XP under their belt (i.e. starting +400ish gained through play), it is remarkable how non-awesome the PCs still are in my campaign! They are routinely challenged by even small groups of Minions, and a Rival can definitely ruin their day. Granted, none of my players are power gamers, and none have built combat monsters, but rather gone for immersion and realistic/plausible career choices and advances... But still, I'm rather pleased that at 500XP, Joey Foreman Thug is still a real threat to be worried about! :)

Three random observations :
--Our Agility 5 Rodian PC has, quite contrary to my assumption, not in any way broken the game yet.
--Our Politico non-combatant has become the group's best fighter, due to some clever XP investments <--that's pretty funny :D
--Poor Force Users... The Force is an XP SINK!

Edited by angelman2
4 hours ago, angelman2 said:

--Our Politico non-combatant has become the group's best fighter, due to some clever XP investments <--that's pretty funny :D

I love the Colonist career, cross spec the Politico in to Marshal, and you have a face with a blaster whose talents just compound with one another no matter your archetype. It's my current favorite.

2 minutes ago, Fistofpaper said:

I love the Colonist career, cross spec the Politico in to Marshal, and you have a face with a blaster whose talents just compound with one another no matter your archetype. It's my current favorite.

Yeah, I've been contemplating suggesting the Marshal specialization, but thus far (in our AoR campaign) it hasn't quit fit the story or character yet. We've gone for Universal Specialization: Imperial Cadet (fits backstory), and lately Commander: Squad Leader (fits current role) specs, but Marshal is something I think might become a thing later on (especially if we are going to transition this campaign into a new campaign set several years later and have the ex-Politico spend the downtime as a Marshal on some Outer Rim backwater). Cool spec, that :D

If you can do it without breaking the suspension of disbelief, anything is possible. :)

On 9/24/2020 at 7:22 PM, Fistofpaper said:

If you can do it without breaking the suspension of disbelief, anything is possible. :)

Indeed.

I have a player in my group who's character is mechanically a Gank, as the cybernetics fit her background of crash survivor. During lockdown she's written half a novel's worth of extra background, including a large section about being rescued and rehabilitated by a small group of post war Clone deserters, on the planet she was stranded on. She asked the other day if I'd allow her to use one of the Clone Trooper spec trees down the line, I said "absolutely", as narratively it makes perfect sense for that character.

1 hour ago, Stethemessiah said:

Indeed.

I have a player in my group who's character is mechanically a Gank, as the cybernetics fit her background of crash survivor. During lockdown she's written half a novel's worth of extra background, including a large section about being rescued and rehabilitated by a small group of post war Clone deserters, on the planet she was stranded on. She asked the other day if I'd allow her to use one of the Clone Trooper spec trees down the line, I said "absolutely", as narratively it makes perfect sense for that character.

Yup.

As a general rule of thumb, saying yes to player requests open up more roleplaying opportunities, sources of conflic, and richness of story then there are any benefit of forcing players to stay in their booth.

3 hours ago, Stethemessiah said:

Indeed.

My current lockdown rabbit hole has been generating 3d maps for TTS, but I've done just this thing with a 5e character I used to play. I spent a large amount of time doing character development and crafting and was rewarded for it by the DM with cool items etc. That made it so much cooler. The little things with immersion can mean so much

2 hours ago, angelman2 said:

Yup.

As a general rule of thumb, saying yes to player requests open up more roleplaying opportunities, sources of conflic, and richness of story then there are any benefit of forcing players to stay in their booth.

As a guideline, you bet. However don't be afraid to call out the "player" if it's disruptive. Make certain you're always on the same page as to what "role playing" is with your party

38 minutes ago, Fistofpaper said:

As a guideline, you bet. However don't be afraid to call out the "player" if it's disruptive. Make certain you're always on the same page as to what "role playing" is with your party

I'm blessed with awesome players who love to play with the GM & story rather than against it, making sure their contributions are for the betterment of everyone's enjoyment of the game, so yeah... I'm pretty fortunate in that respect.

I can't remember the last time I had to pull a player aside for a reality-check discussion. But yes, it is everyone's responsibility to stay on the right page, but the GM more so than the rest, of course.

20 hours ago, Fistofpaper said:

My current lockdown rabbit hole has been generating 3d maps for TTS, but I've done just this thing with a 5e character I used to play. I spent a large amount of time doing character development and crafting and was rewarded for it by the DM with cool items etc. That made it so much cooler. The little things with immersion can mean so much

I've been rewarding it narratively, by really tying her background in to the stories, it has led to some awesome RP moments.

Glad I read this topic. I realized in my previous round robin game, we were being on the stingy side. Now I don't feel so bad about my indecision on specializations. I'll likely be able to get more than I originally expected over the course of a campaign.