Q: Do we have a final answer about Spree ability (Foul Play expansion)

By MountainRoot, in Blood Bowl: Team Manager

There is a problem because we have 2 different opinions regarding how the Spree ability works.

The rule says that when played, the manager draw the top card of his deck team. If it's a player with a standing power of two or less, he commits him to the matchup and resolves immediately his skills.

Two questions arise from here

1. Do we resolve the abilities of the new card?

On one hand the card only states to resolve the skills but on the other hand it says to commit the new player to a match (and so we are talking about the part in the rule book that says about what happens when we commit a player)

1.1. In regard with the first question what happens when the new card is a Night Goblin with the Spree ability....do we might have a chain reaction of may goblins?

I know that some of you might try to answer this question thematically but this is board game and i don't want to disrupt the balance of the playtested game. So thinks like "of course the goblins would do that" is a not sufficient answer for me.

Now the problem is that in this BGG topic the OP said that he asked FFG directly and they told him that you can't activate the abilities (only the skills)

but

in another topic (here in FFG Forum) one guy from the team said that you can?

Here are the 2 topic for you to see

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1295297/some-ffg-rules-clarifications

and

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/112934-goblins-spree-capacity/

What should we do?

Edited by MountainRoot

Ask FFG again for a final decision before GW takes back all their games. Link them all thread so that they have the reference of past rulings at hand.

Edited by Julia

We have a final answer and it's this:

Thanks for the question. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

This was originally a contentious issue among the development team and the proper resolution brought up some debate. However, after extensive internal discussion, we’ve accepted that Spree should be able to chain together. This is based primarily on the fact that the newly drawn player is considered “committed” to the matchup and thus will trigger any “when played” effects, such as Spree. See the Matchup Phase structure on page 8 of the core rules for further clarification. (In addition, though he is no longer with the company, I can confirm that this resolution was the intent of the expansion’s designer, Jonathan Bove.)
Sorry for the confusion. If we do an FAQ update, I will be sure to add that clarification.

Jason Walden
Board Game Producer
Fantasy Flight Games

I was right then. That's all that matters :P

Being able to chain spree is huge thematically. My players always fight over the right to pick Goblins just for that.