Monitor Reviews

By The Mick, in Android Novellas

Hey guys, just got my copy of Monitor! Excited to tear into it!

Curious what everyone thinks of the book when they're done with it, seeing as this is the first novella to be released.

Did you enjoy the story?

How about the extra lore stuff included in the physical release?

Post your reviews here!

Hi there, I just finished reading my copy of Monitor. I felt that the story moved slow and I found it hard to remain engaged, I give 2.5 stars out of 5. For reference these are some sci fi books that I've enjoyed in no particular order: Dune, Snowcrash, The War of the Worlds, Brave New World.
Even so, as an aspiring GM for a homebrew pen and paper RPG set in the Android universe, the novella is useful, I liked the description of how common people live and work, the Network, and the paranoia NBN causes. Finally, the extra lore on the physical release was very short but very sweet, I loved that section.

I finally finished my copy. Like joecor above, I loved the extra lore bits at the end, but found the main novella to be lacking in terms of focus. The story itself was alright, and seeing the world of Android through the eyes of a teenager/young adult was interesting, but things moved along quite slowly and some bits felt repetitive. I also felt the writing in the first half was a little difficult to follow; it felt like the author was trying to beef up the word count by using unnecessary adjectives everywhere. The second half was easier to process.

Loved the physical product. Nice finish, beautiful presentation.

As a huge fan of the Android setting and as someone who is anxiously awaiting more fiction set in it, I recommend like-minded fans check it out, if only to learn more about the world.

If you're not a big fan and are just looking for a sci-fi tale to read on the side, you probably won't get much enjoyment out of this.