The latest Conquest news has me concerned about buying into another LCG format.

By Angberelius, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

I thought I liked the LCG format, but the format seems fragile now.

I've bought into pretty much every LCG at this point, because I enjoy competitive card games and thought I enjoyed the LCS format,, but when it seems like they come and go on a whim these days,

its hard to get excited about further LCGs and releases. You don't know if they decide to change their minds a few moons later and scrap the whole thing.

Should I bother with L5R or the Arkham Horror LCG now? I'm not sure.

I think it's important to see the Conquest LCG ending as separate to an issue with the LCG format. The license partnership ended (no doubt due to the release of RuneWars by FFG being seen as a direct competitor to the Warhammer minis game), and that's why Conquest is ending, not because of an inherent issue with the LCG format. Many LCGs are still going strong, and have been for a good period of time.

I believe FFG purchased L5R and Cthulu isn't licensed so neither of those stand to be discontinued to a dissolved partnership which is the reason for conquest discontinuing.

Indeed. Your fears, while understandable, don't have a good grounding. Conquest is being dropped because GW and FFG have parted ways. FFG fully own the L5R universe, having purchased it outright, and Lovecraft's works are in the public domain. There is absolutely no reason to believe these games will not see future support.

I think it is right to be concerned about such things, but there will always be a risk that something will happen to terminate an otherwise excellent game before it's time.

However, I have more faith in FFG to deliver on their promises (and it is implicit that an LCG will last for several cycles) than in other publishers. As others have said the licensing dissolution is what put an abrupt end to Conquest but it looks like steps have been taken to lessen that risk in future (e.g. outright purchasing of L5R). I also blame that legal process and its trappings for resulting in such restricted communications with fan base as to what was going on behind the scenes, again something I'd not expect necessary with the two newest LCGs.

I'm very much looking forward to the new Arkham and L5R LCGs, and while I cannot guarantee that neither of them will be cancelled early, the prospect currently remains on the very low risk side for me.

Edited by Khouri

I think it is right to be concerned about such things, but there will always be a risk that something will happen to terminate an otherwise excellent game before it's time.

However, I have more faith in FFG to deliver on their promises (and it is implicit that an LCG will last for several cycles) than in other publishers. As others have said the licensing dissolution is what put an abrupt end to Conquest but it looks like steps have been taken to lessen that risk in future (e.g. outright purchasing of L5R). I also blame that legal process and its trappings for resulting in such restricted communications with fan base as to what was going on behind the scenes, again something I'd not expect necessary with the two newest LCGs.

I'm very much looking forward to the new Arkham and L5R LCGs, and while I cannot guarantee that neither of them will be cancelled early, the prospect currently remains on the very low risk side for me.

I was too.. I guess I'll cross my fingers..

Indeed. Your fears, while understandable, don't have a good grounding. Conquest is being dropped because GW and FFG have parted ways. FFG fully own the L5R universe, having purchased it outright, and Lovecraft's works are in the public domain. There is absolutely no reason to believe these games will not see future support.

To me, this depends on popularity as well. We'll see I guess. I guess it's a question of when did they know they would be parting ways with GW.

I believe FFG purchased L5R and Cthulu isn't licensed so neither of those stand to be discontinued to a dissolved partnership which is the reason for conquest discontinuing.

I realize Lovecraft is public domain, and if they now own the L5R CCG IP, that is great too. So I just need to worry about external IP based games.. not terribly reassuring. Star wars seems to be one of the less popular LCGs, At some point it is a money thing. When it costs more to make the game then they are making from it.

Maybe its like printing money now, I'm not sure.

FFG was the first company, of any kind, to license the IP of Song of Ice and Fire, What is now better known as A Game of Thrones. FFG actually bought a significant number of the first book and sent it out with the game to market the first game they created. The relationship between G.R.R.M, and FFG is very good. I can't see any issues coming between them any time soon. The game is the longest running card game held by FFG, having been a CCG converted to a LCG, expanded, then contracted and moved to a second edition to clean up mechanics and improve card availability for rotation and the LCG distribution style.

Android is also a FFG property and only the Netrunner mechanics are licensed so again, an in house system that is doing well and shows no sign of going away.

That leaves LoTR and SW, two licensed IPs. The SW LCG is, i think, the weakest of the LCGs but a very strong license. LoTR is a strong game and a co-op game which greatly adds to its popularity.

All you need to do is big a brand with good licensing or that FFG owns. AGoT, Star Wars, L5R, Netrunner, and Arkham Horror should be around for the next five years. Lots of options.

Sure, you could argue about the Star Wars LCG.

Edited by Kubernes

Netrunner isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The license partnership ended (no doubt due to the release of RuneWars by FFG being seen as a direct competitor to the Warhammer minis game), and that's why Conquest is ending

You have that backwards. Runewars is FFGs answer to the license ending.

To the OP, the other LCGs don't have licenses that will be ending anytime soon and a few of them won't end ever really since FFG owns the Android and L5R settings and Cthulhu stuff is mostly public domain now.

I think you are okay

• Android Netrunner is safe, FFG owns the Android IP and I don't think WotC is as much of an arsehole as GW is.
  • Game of Thrones is safe as even though MtG is big the Trading Card Game market isn't as big as it was in the 90s with mobile gaming becoming more popular. So I don't think G. Martin and HBO would try to sell it out from under FFG for a quick buck as the market analysis would not point to one.
  • Cuthulu games are almost public domain so again that should be safe.
  • LotR isn't making anymore movies so there is no market interesting in taking that game away.
  • FFG and Disney has a great relationship thanks to the success of X-wing. As long as FFG continues to make Disney money Disney will still graciously let FFG use Star Wars IP for their LCG.
Edited by Marinealver

Star Wars LCG should be a safe one to buy into.

Darth Mouse is simply making too much money from the Star Wars minis that FFG is doing a great job with for either party to want to end the relationship.

Darth Mouse is simply making too much money from the Star Wars minis that FFG is doing a great job with for either party to want to end the relationship.

Disney doesn't make that much money in comparison with other merchandise. But it does see the minis as great marketing tools and promotional material for their latest movies that they can still make a profit. Which is why movie ships like T-70 X-wing and TIE-Striker are released in December. It is like advertising that the consumers buy and pay for so a win-win for Darth Mouse.

Disney doesn't make that much money in comparison with other merchandise. But it does see the minis as great marketing tools and promotional material for their latest movies that they can still make a profit. Which is why movie ships like T-70 X-wing and TIE-Striker are released in December. It is like advertising that the consumers buy and pay for so a win-win for Darth Mouse.

Considering X-Wing last year took #1 spot for miniatures games sales worldwide (knocking off 40K for the first time in 30 years), and Armada and IA were both in the top 5, it may not make "that much in comparison with other merch." but it is making lots within this part of the industry compared to starting again from scratch.

Makes more sense why gw tried to pressure ffg to drop it..