A new preview is up: Is your Strike Team Assembled?

By Rogue Dakotan, in Star Wars: Destiny

Nice to see Poe spoiled. I'd love to pair him up with Finn and add a bunch of TIEs to the deck to power up Poe.

EDIT: Okay, so looking at the list of cards again, that "bunch of TIEs" will be two First Order TIE Fighters for the foreseeable future. [shrug] It's a start.

Edited by Budgernaut

Are you allowed to have TIEs in a good guy deck?

Finn lets you put red villain vehicles and weapons into your good guy deck. It looks like great fun!

Are you allowed to have TIEs in a good guy deck?

Not normally, but Finn allows you to add Red Villain Vehicles, among other things.

Got it. Forgot about that. Thanks. :)

poe and finn sounds brilliant. i love it

Nice to see Poe spoiled. I'd love to pair him up with Finn and add a bunch of TIEs to the deck to power up Poe.

EDIT: Okay, so looking at the list of cards again, that "bunch of TIEs" will be two First Order TIE Fighters for the foreseeable future. [shrug] It's a start.

There's also an AT-ST(usable with finn as a char) on the card master list!...and The Falcon!!! Edit: Black One too!

Edited by fahzza

Rules question: Can the special of jetpack fire in the absence of a dice with melee damage? I'm currently inclined to say yes as it says "and" rather than "to" like enrage and similar stuff. Thoughts? Agreements? Dissenting opinions?

Also: How should Poe and BB-8's specials interact? The automatic reaction is you just re-roll one other die but it seems reasonable that when something specifically tells you to roll a die that's not in play for you you might do it all the same. (I'm aware that this is a stupid use for BB-8 in the first place but I'm musing)

I feel like Poe could potentially be a trap. You take Poe and Finn and load up your deck with vehicles and weapons then you go an entire game without rolling Poe's special (based on the demo it's not unlikely), your deck is now less efficient than a deck with normal proportions.

Edited by Norgrath

Sith holocron is nuts. In a game where you refill your hand every turn stuff that does a lot for 0r is bound to be good.

Rules question: Can the special of jetpack fire in the absence of a dice with melee damage? I'm currently inclined to say yes as it says "and" rather than "to" like enrage and similar stuff. Thoughts? Agreements? Dissenting opinions?

I'd be inclined to agree, but I don't think my opinion is worth anything. I haven't been digging deep into the rules of this game as much.

I'd be inclined to agree, but I don't think my opinion is worth anything. I haven't been digging deep into the rules of this game as much.

If they were meant to be sequential actions their usual wording is "Do A, then do B". Like Force Choke.

Sith holocron is nuts. In a game where you refill your hand every turn stuff that does a lot for 0r is bound to be good.

Yep. This card will be BIG in the meta. The utility it has for pulling surprise counters to whatever your opponent is doing is crazy.

Also, I'm looking forward to yelling "Surprise Force Choke, mofo!" a lot.

Yep, any zero cost upgrade like Sith Holocron will be popular. It looks like they tried to balance it with 2 blank sides on the die, but we'll see!

I feel like Poe could potentially be a trap. You take Poe and Finn and load up your deck with vehicles and weapons then you go an entire game without rolling Poe's special (based on the demo it's not unlikely), your deck is now less efficient than a deck with normal proportions.

So far Poe is tied with Han as the cheapest character to have a 2/3 damage facing set up, at least that we've seen so far. That may help mitigate the extra hurdles his ability entails. Namely that you roll the facing and have the Vehicle in hand.

I agree that it's an ability you have to build towards in the sense that you have to include some Vehicles otherwise why bother, but trap or not depends on if Vehicles are worth including sans-Poe.

He does allow for huge plays and does allow you to mitigate some of the downside that is running 2x of a big unique like the Falcon. As you can still get value from the 2nd copy or both if you either never get the resources or draw it late.

Support dice with focus and discard rerolls. Yes, stand alone it can be a problem, but there will be cards to help mitigate strategies that depend on specific dice rolls.

Poe's ability with the falcon is sick. Deal 3 ranged damage, then play it like you were going to anyway to use again later in the round sounds super good. With focus/rerolls you'll be able to fire it off. Can't wait to see Black one, that's my favorite ship from FA.

The question on the jetpack is a good one, i'll be interested in hearing an official ruling.

The holocron is exactly what I want in a deck, free upgrade, has it's uses, then you can use it to play for free a 2 or 3 coster, that's money in the bank yo!

Can't wait for this game to be out!

Support dice with focus and discard rerolls. Yes, stand alone it can be a problem, but there will be cards to help mitigate strategies that depend on specific dice rolls.

Yeah, balancing stuff that does things with stuff that makes that stuff do the things by mitigating the luck of the roll will be a big thing in Destiny deckbuilding.

Poe's ability with the falcon is sick. Deal 3 ranged damage...

I'm now wondering: will the very rare situations where you want re-rolls more than anything else the falcon can do be more or less rare than the very rare situations where you'd rather do 3 damage than 4.

I am also thinking of buying 4 Kylo's to get 4 stormtroopers. 28 points right

The stormtrooper is a rare so it can be opened in boosters. Just buy it from the secondary market. After your second starter you're paying 15$ just for a stormtrooper.

So damage is good on that falcon, But I feel like trashing 3 cardsfrom your opponents hand might be where the real power is. Shredding half of your opponents hand on a given turn is pretty darn OP. If you have good die fixing, that can turn itself into a serious mill strategy pretty quickly....

So damage is good on that falcon, But I feel like trashing 3 cardsfrom your opponents hand might be where the real power is. Shredding half of your opponents hand on a given turn is pretty darn OP. If you have good die fixing, that can turn itself into a serious mill strategy pretty quickly....

And as if damage and hand-destruction aren't enough, it's one of the few dice without a blank side to it. That one's definitely going to be popular.

I spoke with the one designer Corey about some of the mechanics at Gencon and he stressed that they wanted the deck put victory condition to be more then just a timer to prevent the game from stalling out.

They wanted it to be something you actively work towards. He specifically mentioned Jabba and the Falcon has means to that end.