Fleeing dungeon --> Action in the city? ; (RtL)

By MaHaPaTe, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello everybody!

One short question for today just to make sure we're playing it right.

If the heroes flee from a dungeon they're moved to Tamalir. So far, so good. Is their week action over after that or can they have a action in the city as, e.g. in the 'visti' circumstance?

THX

I need to double check, but I'm pretty sure that if they flee they do get to do a Visit action. I don't have my rulebooks around to look. I almost positive that when they come out of the dungeon via the exit portal they get a Visit action.

Don't they, in case of getting out of a dungeon via exit portal, just stay one the space of the dungeon on the map so they can travel further in the next week?

MaHaPaTe said:

Don't they, in case of getting out of a dungeon via exit portal, just stay one the space of the dungeon on the map so they can travel further in the next week?

In this case, after completing the dungeon, the Party can choose to remain on the dungeon location or can choose to return to Tamalir. Either of these choices ends their move week action. Also, fleeing a dungeon ends the action

"Can the heroes Visit buildings, purchase Tamalir upgrades, or fight lieutenants if the party marker is placed in Tamalir after ending/fleeing a dungeon
No "

Ah, okay... good to know, espacially for me being OL :)

THX

Hi,

Oboewan said:

"Can the heroes Visit buildings, purchase Tamalir upgrades, or fight lieutenants if the party marker is placed in Tamalir after ending/fleeing a dungeon

No "

That's from the unofficial FAQ, right? Because the official FAQ says this:

"Q: When the heroes return to Tamalir after completing a
dungeon, can they Visit the town?
A: Yes."

Assuming "ending" includes "completing" a dungeon, these statements contradict each other. So which is correct?

-Kylearan

If the heores are fleeing the dungeon then the week ends, no visit to town

Which means: Completing and returning to Tamalir --> Visit.

Fleeing and getting to Tamalir --> No Visit.

Right?

I believe the game-week only ends in the event of TPK. A town visit is allowed after completing a dungeon (successfully or otherwise).

Upgrading Tamalir (buying tamalir upgrade cards) is allowed regardless of how the party arrived at town (even TPK). The only requirement is that the party is at tamalir when the week ends.

I can see that the FAQ's use of the word 'completing' can imply only a successful completion, that's not my interpretation though.

This was a subject of discussion on the last forums: basically, when we sent the question in, the answer was no, but the latest version of the FAQ reversed it to yes. Officially, if the heroes flee a dungeon or choose to return to Tamalir after completing a dungeon, they may perform a visit and a lieutenant battle(s) as if they had ended their move on Tamalir.

Thundercles said:

This was a subject of discussion on the last forums: basically, when we sent the question in, the answer was no, but the latest version of the FAQ reversed it to yes. Officially, if the heroes flee a dungeon or choose to return to Tamalir after completing a dungeon, they may perform a visit and a lieutenant battle(s) as if they had ended their move on Tamalir.

Right... I do recall some contradictions therin. Should I change it in the "List of Answered Questions?"

snacknuts said:

I believe the game-week only ends in the event of TPK. A town visit is allowed after completing a dungeon (successfully or otherwise).

Upgrading Tamalir (buying tamalir upgrade cards) is allowed regardless of how the party arrived at town (even TPK). The only requirement is that the party is at tamalir when the week ends.

I can see that the FAQ's use of the word 'completing' can imply only a successful completion, that's not my interpretation though.

Pg 5 under Hero and Overlord Growth

Overlord power cards, on the other hand, are discarded when the heroes complete or retreat from the dungeon they were acquired in.

Clearly Retreating and Completing dungeons are different circumstances...

Pg 6 under Rumours

Completing Rumor quests allows the heroes to earn powerful rewards.

But not Retreating... Again, clearly Completing means get all the way through and finish the Dungeon.

FAQ Pg 9

Q: When the heroes return to Tamalir after completing a dungeon, can they Visit the town?
A: Yes.

If you Complete a Dungeon you may return to Tamalir and do a Visit action

Rules Pg 18 Fleeing a Dungeon

If the heroes decide that things are too grim for them to continue on inside a dungeon, they can decide to leave a dungeon and not come back. To do this,
they must simply all return to Tamalir at the same time (via glyphs of transport – see “Using buildings” on page 21) and announce that they’re fleeing the dungeon. At such time the dungeon ends, the players must mark that dungeon location as explored on the campaign sheet (meaning that they may not re-enter it for the duration of the campaign), and the party marker is moved to the Tamalir space on the Terrinoth map.

No mention of Visit action. No disallowing either mind you...

Rules Pg 18 The Third Level (of a dungeon)

Additionally, when the heroes go through the portal on the third level, they do not emerge at a deeper dungeon level, but instead return to the surface. When they do this, they must mark that dungeon location as explored on the campaign sheet, and may then may either place the party marker in Tamalir , or leave it on the Terrinoth map space where the just-defeated dungeon is located.

The wording is effectively the same for completion as it is for fleeing. Thus, by implication, since fleeing and completing are preformed identically, being allowed by the FAQ to Visit after a Completion would imply you can also Visit after fleeing.

I started this convinced the other way (we have always played it that fleeing ended the party turn) but I think now I was wrong. Only TPK ends the Hero turn. Completing and Fleeing/Retreating are different, but not treated so in this case.

Considering that when you start a game turn in town (after dying or not returning to the dungeon), you can choose to visit a store. I would say that you can visit as many stores as you want (aka Visit/Restock) since you don't plan to go into the dungeon anymore.

SqueezeBox said:

Considering that when you start a game turn in town (after dying or not returning to the dungeon), you can choose to visit a store. I would say that you can visit as many stores as you want (aka Visit/Restock) since you don't plan to go into the dungeon anymore.

In the instance where the Heroes start the week IN a town, they can choose as their Week Action to Train/Recuperate(Temple only) in which case each hero choose ONE building to go to and use the "Train/Recuperate" text. This is ALL they can do for the week- no moving, no encountering LTs.