GW licenses expired; not renewed

By Drubbels, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

Well, we got Rollforheresy as a website to build upon if these forums are ended. And I think now is a good time to put up maybe another site if necessary dedicated to the games and the setting. From what I have seen, the fan material that is being released for 2nd edition to adapt RT etc to 2nd edition DH rules, are of a very good quality. And I believe in that the fans of the game will keep it alive for many years to come. Personally I am looking forward to see the finished version of "Look not upon the wytch" :)

I guess this will be the end too for that "Dark Heresy Digital Character App". Losing support is one thing, but they will probably stop selling it as well.

Perhaps it will be less of an issue now when somebody creates something similar or even more. As long as it's free to use. I know, given the oppertunity, I might.

Edited by Gridash

I played WFRP 1st edition, GW sacked it, years went by, hogshead picked it up, then they sacked it. FFG picked up WFRP and made 2nd edition. It was then made into 3rd edition (groan). DH 1st edition came out, I managed to get my hand on the last book at the store, then it was dead. It was then picked up my FFG that gave us a lot of nice stuff for it. They gave us a nice revised ruleset in the form of 2nd edition DH. Warhammer is a popular setting in both flavours, and I do not think this is the end for us role-playing in it. Sooner or later there will be some company that gets the license to pick it up. Until then, the fans will keep it going.

/Ave Deus Imperator

I'll be a little sad to see it go. I know a lot more people are just into Star Wars, then into 40k, so that property must be a bit easier to sell, and GW doesn't often help themselves, on that front, with their prices, and lack of attention to certain customer interests, but some of the stuff I liked most, from this license, was the RPG stuff. Haven't gotten to run it, thanks to my friends not being into the setting, but it's often fun to peruse stuff, and 40K is one of my favorite settings. However, stuff such as Rogue Trader, which I probably liked the most, has been "dead" for a good while, and I didn't expect them to really make a 2.0 of that, seeing DH 2.0 sort of just sitting, as well as being leery about buying another 5-15 books, with much of the same stuff in them. I'm pretty sure the thing I'll miss most will be this forum set, if/when it goes. To the best of my knowledge, I don't know anyone here, in person, and have never played a game with any of you, but I bum around these forums, on and off, everyday. I rather like 40K, and it can be very fun to read stuff from other people who do, too, which isn't my friends-pool, sadly, so I'll miss getting to read 40K stuff, here, and talk about it with other people who know it. One supposes "40K" isn't quite going anywhere, yet, and there are other sites, but this is where I've kind of gotten used to hanging out, if you will. ;) Oh well, we'll see where it goes, from here.