GW and FFG end partnership like expected...

By Kentares, in Runewars Miniatures Game

I am out of the loop here but is this a response by GW for FFG starting their own war minis line? Or has this been expected for a while and GW and FFG part as buddies that just aren't renewing a contract?

I think it is truly unfortunate that this is the path the companies have chosen. I have been a devout follower of much of the Warhammer and Warhammer 40K product lines produced by FFG and have loved the roleplaying, board games, and LCGs they have produced. I hope for their sake that they know how many players they will be alienating by not continuing that relationship. Such a shame!

I am no expert, but my guess is Games workshop does not want to do business with there direct competition in the war minis market... its probably a stupid move, having your IP in lots of locations is good shutting down several means for people to get into there universe sounds like a very childish and stupid knee jerk reaction.

Now by contrast, maybe FFG terminated the agreement for the same reasons to stop giving exposure to there competition. However it seems very sudden on the ffg end with a complete termination of active lines.

When they announced the runebound miniatures game at gencon I totally called this. I thought the only reason they would directly compete with WH Fantasy (Age of sigmar now?) is because this relationship is ending.

Edit: My guess would be they were unable to reach a contract extension a while ago. Like far enough back to give the team the green light to develop or market runebound miniatures.

Edited by flightmaster101

GW was marketing IP and licensing at the Las Vegas License fair back in June (21st)

Interesting, I haven't bought any Warhammer products but is this an abrupt end to their card game? Or was the game coming to an end regardless? I just feel bad for the people who are invested in the game if this means they went full stop on the product.

Everything has been announced - but there's product that hasn't been delivered yet.

BUt basically, they're saying that nothing more will be developed. What has been developed will be delivered... As of the end of February, they won't sell it anymore.

Hard Stop.

I am completely ignorant of the particulars of the situation. However, it seems to me that this was not a reactionary thing. Most contracts only last for a given amount of time after which they must be renewed. I think both parties were aware of the ending of the current agreement and were both anticipating ending the relationship. I think this because of the increasing number of board games produced by GW and the new miniatures game produced by FFG. Both were simply gearing up for the end of the license.

Edited by Budgernaut

I am out of the loop here but is this a response by GW for FFG starting their own war minis line? Or has this been expected for a while and GW and FFG part as buddies that just aren't renewing a contract?

While I believe many people would readily point the finger at GW to say that they are greedily and stupidly taking their toys away, I'm fully expecting that it's a question of both parties coming to an agreement that their partnership was no longer beneficial. Realistically, you can easily see that both companies have had an eye on each other's slice of the pie for a while now - FFG has been doing increasingly miniature-heavy war/board game hybrids, while GW has been doing an increasing number of boxed boardgame releases, including a re-release of one of the most popular dungeoncrawl games ever, the IP of which they have been withholding from FFG for years. I suspect they both knew date on their contract was coming up and they both agreed not to renew it. Both companies probably knew about that for at least six months I'd say, as evidenced by how far along RWM is design-wise and knowing that the entire concept would probably never fly on GW's watch.

Not sure what this has to do with Runewars at all but okay.

This was in play long before Runewars miniatures game was even announced. Conquest has had nothing in playtesting for months now. Well before GenCon.

This was in play long before Runewars miniatures game was even announced. Conquest has had nothing in playtesting for months now. Well before GenCon.

Becasue Runewars is a blatant attempt by FFG to drink GW's milkshake.

Edited by flightmaster101

Because Runewars is a blatant attempt by FFG to drink GW's milkshake.

Maybe but this forum has nothing to do with GW

The forum titled " GW and FFG end partnership like expected..." has nothing to do with GW?

One year ago (January 2015 or so), GW's CEO changed. After that, GW changed plans: they opened more shops (at least in Europe), they started producing boardgames on their own, and in general, they are more attentive to their products. All of this I imagine it's just a consequence. I don't think RW:TMG is the starting problem, it's a mere consequence of something both companies had probably very clear in mind since some time

Just my two cents, nothing more

In any case, the fact is tha the two companies divorced. Curious to see their next moves

The forum titled " GW and FFG end partnership like expected..." has nothing to do with GW?

I said Forum not Thread. Not the same thing

Already tons of threads on this in the actual GW game forums.

...GW changed plans: they opened more shops (at least in Europe), they started producing boardgames on their own, and in general, they are more attentive to their products....

Are you sure about that???

Some friends I have in the business industry say otherwise because 10 years ago they did that only to close the same stores a couple of years later and give priority to online sales.

...GW changed plans: they opened more shops (at least in Europe), they started producing boardgames on their own, and in general, they are more attentive to their products....

Some friends I have in the business industry say otherwise because 10 years ago they did that only to close the same stores a couple of years later and give priority to online sales.

I had read online that GW had moved stores into smaller shop that were cheaper and had a single manager running entire stores on their own to save on running costs. Maybe these changes were specific to certain countries, I am not sure.

from http://www.iii.co.uk/news-opinion/richard-beddard/games-workshop%3A-denial

"It’s just completed a multi-year store rationalisation program, relocating to smaller, cheaper premises, and converting stores into low-cost one-man operations. The strategy was a response to a period of expansion when higher costs almost completely stymied profit, and it successfully restored profitability at Games Workshop."

Edited by Mighty Martin

I had read online that GW had moved stores into smaller shop that were cheaper and had a single manager running entire stores on their own to save on running costs. Maybe these changes were specific to certain countries, I am not sure.

from http://www.iii.co.uk/news-opinion/richard-beddard/games-workshop%3A-denial

"It’s just completed a multi-year store rationalisation program, relocating to smaller, cheaper premises, and converting stores into low-cost one-man operations. The strategy was a response to a period of expansion when higher costs almost completely stymied profit, and it successfully restored profitability at Games Workshop."

Ah ok. That would explain it.

Ergo, it is moderately relevant for a thread about it to be in this forum. The 3-4 threads about it in the Star Wars game forums are a little more questionable, but not totally off topic.

Edited by Forgottenlore

And people who frequent FFG's forums want to talk about it because it does relate to RuneWars (even if just tangentially). I fail to see the problem you seem to be upset about.

Who's upset ?

Go nuts. I just don't see why it needs a thread here but easy enough to ignore it.

And people who frequent FFG's forums want to talk about it because it does relate to RuneWars (even if just tangentially). I fail to see the problem you seem to be upset about.

Who's upset ?

Go nuts. I just don't see why it needs a thread here but easy enough to ignore it.

GW sólo vive regalías y los videojuegos ahora único juego

I am no expert, but my guess is Games workshop does not want to do business with there direct competition in the war minis market... its probably a stupid move, having your IP in lots of locations is good shutting down several means for people to get into there universe sounds like a very childish and stupid knee jerk reaction.

Now by contrast, maybe FFG terminated the agreement for the same reasons to stop giving exposure to there competition. However it seems very sudden on the ffg end with a complete termination of active lines.

There =/= their.

Learn it, love it, live it.

That said, you make rational speculations.