Concept: Legendary Immortality

By Tisis, in Black Crusade Game Masters

So it dawned on me that BC really only has a few real endings. which is more to say then most of the 40K rpg lines; since they dont have end goals really laid out. This got me thinking; has anyone toyed with the idea of not making a character become a Daemon Prince or a chaos spawn? A new option could be along the line of becoming a legend within your own 40k cannon. A near immortal being whos patron God bestows immense power, wealth, influence. etc. I am talking about legends like Kharn the Betrayer, Fabious Bile, Lucious the Eternal, Abbadon the Despoiler, Ahriman...List goes on.

Just curious if anyone else has toyed with this concept or if I am just going to write what I think would be balanced.

my player as a thousand son had the epic destiny of undoing the rubric. It was going really well until he accidentally became a demon prince of slaneesh.

I recall that Abaddon is listed as having an Infamy score of about 150 so it certainly can be done using RAW. The only limiting factor is Corruption which can be reduced but at the great cost of either XP or Infamy or some narrative way. The fact that Abaddon has such a high Infamy while not being a daemon prince is to reflect the fact that it can be done but that it's really freaking hard and only characters close to Abaddon's level of immense power in the material realm can accomplish that sort of stuff. It's tricky but then a PC of that level would command their own black crusade and reign across the stars or something like that. In my mind that's cooler than ascending to a daemon prince. You just have to limit the amount of Corruption you gain.

In the core book the also mention "A powerful and near immortal agent of the dark gods such as Kharne" at 140-149 infamy. just with how the game is made, it is easier to gain corruption just by "doing" what a character would do. Like the glorified acts; taking skulls of enemies, on the 7th one, you gain 1 Infamy and 2 CP. Unless you just hardcore it with the compacts and succeed a lot, your going to be a spawn. At least thats my take on the system. Coming back to RAW, I would think that Abbadon would be a chaos spawn by now; dude has run 13 black crusades...none of which have been That successful. He did gain a foothold in Imperial space on the 13th try though. In the grand scheme of things, unless they create more fluff saying that all of his 13 crusades were to do something minor that was successful and upon launching his 15th crusade all those minor things will factor together and will achieve the true hidden goal all along...

That being said; perhaps a system where after reaching 100+ infamy, you no longer worry about your corruption score, so long as your infamy is marginally higher. Thoughts?

Another Idea I had was saying that characters who gain 100 corruption do not instantly turn into a spawn. Instead, they gain new mutations from the core book, or maybe even the old Fantasy Warhammer rpg Tome of Corruption. using 1d000 mutations. Characters would test new mutations after every 10 CP past 100 and could not modify the roll based on infamy. In addition, they would lose 1d5 permanently to int, fel, or wp. Upon reaching 0 in a stat, they devolve into a spawn.

my player as a thousand son had the epic destiny of undoing the rubric. It was going really well until he accidentally became a demon prince of slaneesh.

I need to know how this unfolded. Too many Slanneshian advances?!

I started my campaign before getting the GM guide with all its extra ways to reduce corruption. So what I did was declare that once you hit 100 infamy, you're safe from spawndom - But, each corruption point earned above 100 is a negative infamy point.

So if the players earned 10 infamy and 5 corruption player A would go from 90c to 95c and 100i to 110i. Player B would go from 100c to 100c and 100i to 105i.

Mathematically your margin for burning infamy shrinks dramatically once you hit 100 corruption.

I must say i like this concept for in the BC im in as an Iron Warrior Warpsmith i have already made my choise and i do NOT wanna turn into a daemon prince even though i have curretly 65 inf and only 33 corruption
( got rly low rolls to corruption while infamy was the opesite )

The way i see it when you assend into daemon hood then alot of options closes for you while other opens for you such as going on a true crusade but i would see it also cutting down pure RP time betwen player to player while being * somewhat human *

Edited by Brote the Swed

The way i see it when you assend into daemon hood then alot of options closes for you while other opens for you such as going on a true crusade but i would see it also cutting down pure RP time betwen player to player while being * somewhat human *

I agree. The book addresses that issue directly. Being a big bad creature of the warp you really limit your ability to RP with the other players. Your goals become different and mortals tend to be weak in comparison. The idea that your CP acts as a penalty to your Infamy is an interesting take.

I agree. The book addresses that issue directly. Being a big bad creature of the warp you really limit your ability to RP with the other players. Your goals become different and mortals tend to be weak in comparison. The idea that your CP acts as a penalty to your Infamy is an interesting take.

As a daemon what can you do???!! go fight and thats about it

As a non daemon you can do more or less anything and hey you gotta respect a characther when they have the option bo be a daemon but says no thank you im cool

Where in the book does it adress just this subject gotta read that up a bit

Edited by Brote the Swed

In the Tome of Decay the section on Apothesis Starting on page 68. It covers the basic of how the fundamentals of the game change. You are apocalyptically powerful, your a rare sight even in the vortex. you are a herald and leader of your gods daemonic armies etc. Not super in depth but its helpful