Armada players, what do you think of this?

By Quantum Dot Guy, in Star Wars

[EDIT: Moved to Armada off-topic subforum: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/229372-new-ship-idea-would-appreciate-your-thoughts/?p=2400439 ]

I used to play a good bit of Star Wars: Empire at War on PC, and I fell in love with the Imperial Broadside -class cruiser kdb-1 (and the Rebel Alliance's equivalent, a refitted Republic Marauder -class corvette ), which was basically a moving missile battery with practically unlimited range. It had very little ability to protect itself in direct combat; the hull and shields were weak, the speed and maneuverability left something to be desired for a ship of its small size, and it was completely helpless against fighters at close range. In addition, the act of firing temporarily revealed the ship's location on the map, exposing it to enemy missile attacks. But, the range of the missiles allowed the cruisers to fire on nearly any target that was within the line of sight of other Imperial ships, and a successful volley was DEVASTATING. A single missile was enough to turn half a dozen squadrons into so many fireworks, and three or four well-placed shots could reliably cripple (or outright destroy) all but the very largest of targets. Overall, using the ship was often quite difficult, and one misstep was usually fatal. Even so, it was almost always worth the cost and the risk to deploy them.

Given my love of this ship, I have often thought about how it could be incorporated into Armada. Borrowing the ship's data from the archives, and its stats from Empire at War - relative to other ships already released ships for Armada, like the CR90 and the VSD - I've devised a prototype. The ship's two turbolasers are represented by the red dice in the attack pools, while the missiles would be the black dice. Since an unlimited supply of Diamond-Boron missiles would be far too powerful, I feel the upgrade should be limited to 3 uses per game. I don't have an enormous amount of experience with this game, though, so I'd greatly appreciate any input from other players. Once I feel like I have the details worked out, I hope to implement it in a test game.

Hull: 4

Shields (front/sides/rear): 2/1/1

Defenses: 1 redirect, 2 brace

Battery Armament (f/s/r): 2 red, 3 black/1 red, 2 black/1 red

Anti-Squadron Armament: -

Command: 2

Squadron:1

Engineering:2

Maneuverability:

@ speed 1: I

@ speed 2: I, I

Upgrade slots: Officer, Ordnance, Fleet Support?[others TBD]

Fleet cost: [TBD]

Included upgrade cards: Assault Concussion Missiles (Ordnance, 7pts.), Diamond-Boron Missiles (Ordnance, 15+pts?), Targeting Sensor Network (Fleet Support? 7pts?), [others TBD]

Upgrade card descriptions:

>Diamond-Boron Missiles (15+pts?): "At the beginning of your attack step, you may attack as normal a target hull zone or squadron at medium-long range and in line of sight with your front arc, using an attack pool of 4 red dice. All hull zones and squadrons at distance 1-3 of the target, both enemy and friendly, must be treated as individual targets of the attack. You cannot perform any other attacks this round. This upgrade may be resolved up to 3 times per game."

>Ordnance Targeting Sensor Network (7pts?): "During your activation, you may perform one of your attacks against a target at close-long range of any activated friendly ship or squadron in play, using only the black dice of your selected firing arc. Only 'Ordnance' and 'Weapons Team' upgrade effects can be resolved during this attack."

Edited by Quantum Dot Guy

Right, thanks. I wasn't sure which forum it really belonged in.